The Arbroath Thread

40 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
56 minutes ago, ecto said:
That was the Scottish cup, this is the league cup

We were in the Scottish quarters when Danny Mcgrain was manager.

Was it the quarters?

Why is it so quiet on this thread these days? :( :rolleyes: 

All the folk who were excited and delighted the football as back seem to have disappeared?  :unsure:

It's almost like this whole season is basically being viewed as a write off/ bit of a joke by the majority of our fanbase who attend week in week out, and the novelty has worn off for those further afield, so we're left hemorrhaging money for the next 6 months for the benefit of about 20% of our fans.

Honestly folks, we're gonna be a left with the fucking shell of Scottish football come next summer, unless there's a government bailout of the game. With every week that this goes on, it just gets more and more painful. Watch over the coming weeks as the stories ramp up in the media regarding 'in crisis' clubs etc..... Having an attitude towards it, still, of 'ach it'll sort out eh' is absolutely fucking mindblowing.

Why is it so quiet on this thread these days? [emoji20] :rolleyes: 
All the folk who were excited and delighted the football as back seem to have disappeared?  :unsure:
It's almost like this whole season is basically being viewed as a write off/ bit of a joke by the majority of our fanbase who attend week in week out, and the novelty has worn off for those further afield, so we're left hemorrhaging money for the next 6 months for the benefit of about 20% of our fans.
Honestly folks, we're gonna be a left with the fucking shell of Scottish football come next summer, unless there's a government bailout of the game. With every week that this goes on, it just gets more and more painful. Watch over the coming weeks as the stories ramp up in the media regarding 'in crisis' clubs etc..... Having an attitude towards it, still, of 'ach it'll sort out eh' is absolutely fucking mindblowing.

What’s your alternative Simon?

On 15/11/2020 at 22:37, lichtiekev said:

I remember being to that game as wee laddie, pretty sure it was one of the best away supports we have ever taken?

Certainly was, sure it was a Tuesday night and over 4,000 at the game with 2,000+ Red Lichties, still have the scenes on VHS tape when the goals flew into the net with the huge AFC support behind the goal, plus big battles beside the buses after the game = great days 36-0. 

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

Both of the games against East Fife had the kick-offs delayed to let the crowd in. At the replay at Bayview EF scored first and then Paul Tosh equalised just before half-time.

In the second-half Tosh and the EF keeper were sent off for fighting and AFC went onto win with our left-back scoring twice , his name evades me at the moment .My friend John who was with me twice went to the loo and both occasions missed Arbroath scoring, I kept saying to him away to the loo and let us score again.

The game against Rangers was played on one of the calmest days ever which obviously did not suit us .

29 minutes ago, keptie said:

Come on here and have a go at the supporters.

If we have fans who deny science, data and facts then I have an issue with them - but that is irrelevant to football/ Arbroath. I have no issue with any of our fans not watching this season, or any season frankly. People can do what they want, that's fine, but denying basic fact/ the obvious is wild and absolutely fair play to call it out. If I say black is white, and someone who is an Arbroath fan disagrees with me, I'm not gonna come away with 'why are you having a go at your fellow supporters?' am I?!

In answer to your question Stan - it's a very difficult one, and I certainly don't claim to have the answers. My frustration is that this was all blindingly obvious yet some people chose to ignore it and some people still are, which I find immensely frustrating. It's very obvious that we're in a situation where clubs are losing far, far more cash than they would if they'd furloughed staff and not been playing currently. The decision was made to play football for the sake of fans/ normality etc. The reality is that something that is being done for 'us' is actually disliked by the majority so what we're actually doing is losing football clubs huge amounts of money to give a product that the majority dislike. Where is the justification for this? What's the point? We are fucking ourselves long term, to satisfy a minority of people short term. That's a crazy, crazy thing to do and business wise it's simply wild.

I guess my personal 'best case' alternative is that ScotGov step in (to the fury of everyone :lol: ) and decide for football clubs at the lower end that this season will be abandoned for a multitude of reasons. In that situation, clubs could furlough staff and would lose less money than currently, and realistically the majority of fans wouldn't give a f**k/ would be happy. I say this because it's one of the only realistic scenario's that can stop this.

1 hour ago, Housecaptain said:

Both of the games against East Fife had the kick-offs delayed to let the crowd in. At the replay at Bayview EF scored first and then Paul Tosh equalised just before half-time.

In the second-half Tosh and the EF keeper were sent off for fighting and AFC went onto win with our left-back scoring twice , his name evades me at the moment .My friend John who was with me twice went to the loo and both occasions missed Arbroath scoring, I kept saying to him away to the loo and let us score again.

The game against Rangers was played on one of the calmest days ever which obviously did not suit us .

It was Craig Martin who scored with 2 screamers and Tosh got the other 2 goals. 

Wattie Boyd was outstanding for us and so was Kenny MacDonald on that wonderful night 36-0.

3,000 at the Gayfield game and 4,000 at the midweek game.

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

47 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

If we have fans who deny science, data and facts then I have an issue with them - but that is irrelevant to football/ Arbroath. I have no issue with any of our fans not watching this season, or any season frankly. People can do what they want, that's fine, but denying basic fact/ the obvious is wild and absolutely fair play to call it out. If I say black is white, and someone who is an Arbroath fan disagrees with me, I'm not gonna come away with 'why are you having a go at your fellow supporters?' am I?!

In answer to your question Stan - it's a very difficult one, and I certainly don't claim to have the answers. My frustration is that this was all blindingly obvious yet some people chose to ignore it and some people still are, which I find immensely frustrating. It's very obvious that we're in a situation where clubs are losing far, far more cash than they would if they'd furloughed staff and not been playing currently. The decision was made to play football for the sake of fans/ normality etc. The reality is that something that is being done for 'us' is actually disliked by the majority so what we're actually doing is losing football clubs huge amounts of money to give a product that the majority dislike. Where is the justification for this? What's the point? We are fucking ourselves long term, to satisfy a minority of people short term. That's a crazy, crazy thing to do and business wise it's simply wild.

I guess my personal 'best case' alternative is that ScotGov step in (to the fury of everyone :lol: ) and decide for football clubs at the lower end that this season will be abandoned for a multitude of reasons. In that situation, clubs could furlough staff and would lose less money than currently, and realistically the majority of fans wouldn't give a f**k/ would be happy. I say this because it's one of the only realistic scenario's that can stop this.

Simon everybody is entitled to their view but WHY do you keep saying the MAJORITY is against us playing all the time? If you are going on Arbroath FC TV figures all the time then you are wrong as there was 200+ tuned in last week for the cup game (you will be getting more for home league games) BUT there is plenty who are happy to watch the reports coming in live on SKY Sports and also loads just happy to watch the scores coming through on Soccer Saturday etc so you need to explain where you are getting the MAJORITY? 

18 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

It was Craig Martin who scored with 2 screamers and Tosh got the other 2 goals, are you sure the East Fife keeper got sent off as i thought it was only Tosh but you good be right?

Wattie Boyd was outstanding for us and so was Kenny MacDonald and Charlie Adam on that wonderful night 36-0

You know I cant say for sure about the keeper, but did Tosh not score his second with a penalty and  later him and the keeper had a punch up at a corner. The main thing is we won and it was a great night.

1 minute ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Simon everybody is entitled to their view but WHY do you keep saying the MAJORITY is against us playing all the time? If you are going on Arbroath FC TV figures all the time then you are wrong as there was 200+ tuned in last week for the cup game (you will be getting more for home league games) BUT there is plenty who are happy to watch the reports coming in live on SKY Sports and also loads just happy to watch the scores coming through on Soccer Saturday etc so you need to explain where you are getting the MAJORITY? 

Majority = over 50%.

The viewing figures for all of our home games  this season have been under half the equivalent fixtures attendances played last season, or at best around 50%. I'd also suggest that not every single person watching these streams is completely for us playing football every week short term knowing the effects it'll have in the medium/ longer term.

If we had 200 odd people turn up for a cup match it'd be our worst home attendance in living memory. Considering this wasn't a dead rubber game and if won (which we obviously did) we'd qualify for the next stage, it's even worse. I can only think of one game we've played in my entire time watching the club where less people have watched a competitive game we've played; 169 down at Stranraer on a midweek Tuesday in winter. These fixtures only relate to Arbroath; if you look at other club in Scotland it's around the same, and with quite a few it's even worse.

Again, the above isn't my 'view'. It is fact based on viewer numbers of streams this year in comparison to attendances at equivalent games last season. I'm not 'having a go' at our fans, or fans of other clubs. It's just looking at extremely basic data and doing comparisons.

People watching Sky Sports and Soccer Saturday and watching scores come through is not going to financially help the club, and with respect I'm far more concerned about the fans that follow us all over the country and money actually going into the football club we support than supporting a TV channel that has billions of income per year. Is the argument here than even if we had no fans watching us at all, if people enjoyed seeing our score come in along with 100s of others on Soccer Saturday it makes it worthwhile?

2 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Certainly was, sure it was a Tuesday night and over 4,000 at the game with 2,000+ Red Lichties, still have the scenes on VHS tape when the goals flew into the net with the huge AFC support behind the goal, plus big battles beside the buses after the game = great days 36-0. 

Honestly I was 10 at the time and there with my dad and grandad and you have just described it perfectly 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻⚽️ Was magic and I still managed to go to school in the morning, couldn’t wait to tell all my school friends about it mate