The Arbroath Thread

On 19/10/2020 at 17:37, basher brash said:

Only for a straight red unfortunately for you guys , On a side issue do you not think you guys will really struggle if your hit by injuries/ suspension as looking at your squad it looks very thin on numbers

Think we have 19 signed players, not sure what else we can do, I very much doubt any part time club would be paying money for players to sit in the stand in the current climate, if it means injury and suspensions leave us with 4 or 5 on the bench then so be it.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Think we have 19 signed players, not sure what else we can do, I very much doubt any part time club would be paying money for players to sit in the stand in the current climate, if it means injury and suspensions leave us with 4 or 5 on the bench then so be it.

Not a criticism just something I noticed because your squad is more or less the same as when you got promoted with a few players that are over 30 now  but like most clubs including the Rovers money is scarce at the moment

Edited by basher brash

You would expect TOB to return this week but it would be harsh to drop someone from last weeks line-up who performed so well against Hearts.

One player i reckon who has to stay in the starting XI is Doolan who i thought lead the line well and created a couple of chances and great hold up play and got a few shots on target making Gordon into a couple of good saves.

C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

1 hour ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

You would expect TOB to return this week but it would be harsh to drop someone from last weeks line-up who performed so well against Hearts.

One player i reckon who has to stay in the starting XI is Doolan who i thought lead the line well and created a couple of chances and great hold up play and got a few shots on target making Gordon into a couple of good saves.

C'Mon the Red Lichties 36-0.

The defence played well but would imagine we'd go for our tried and tested back four of

Thomson Little TOB Hammy

Would agree about starting Doolan again, looked decent, would also like to see Bobby start.

Absolutely brilliant to see the updates on the Wall of Red Lichtie, Looking like it can hopefully be completed sometime in November 😃🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 Can’t wait to see it finished. They were actually saying they might be able to add a few late ones on to fill the last spaces so was hoping to maybe buy another one in memory of my Grandad who took me to my first game back in 1992 and sadly passed away a couple of months back ❤️

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

• 2 weeks later...

With the obvious apathy towards this season already from many fans, I really worry today could be when shit seriously hits the fan, regardless of what happens on the pitch.

I really hope the club are prepared for the large backlash that could be incoming shortly, and the huge implications it could have on our finances in the short, medium and long term....

With the obvious apathy towards this season already from many fans, I really worry today could be when shit seriously hits the fan, regardless of what happens on the pitch.
I really hope the club are prepared for the large backlash that could be incoming shortly, and the huge implications it could have on our finances in the short, medium and long term....

Like Brexit, I’m not entirely sure how this or any other club can adequately ‘prepare’ for a wide range of scenarios, depending on the progression of the virus and govt guidelines. Hope for the best? Pray harder? Plan across the board reductions in wages? But you’ve raised longer-term concern - while supporters might manage to keep some donations going but this isn’t really sustainable. Is there a risk the habit of attending games might drop off? Still with 300 allowed in Dingwall last night, you’d hope some return might still be possible in the foreseeable future.

We’re not alone in this and I would hope maybe not quite as financially exposed as the full time outfits but who knows?

22 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Like Brexit, I’m not entirely sure how this or any other club can adequately ‘prepare’ for a wide range of scenarios, depending on the progression of the virus and govt guidelines. Hope for the best? Pray harder? Plan across the board reductions in wages?

But you’ve raised longer-term concern - while supporters might manage to keep some donations going but this isn’t really sustainable. Is there a risk the habit of attending games might drop off?

Still with 300 allowed in Dingwall last night, you’d hope some return might still be possible in the foreseeable future.

We’re not alone in this and I would hope maybe not quite as financially exposed as the full time outfits but who knows?

I think you've hit the nail on the head frankly - the problem is for the last 3/4 months Scottish football at the top level has had the 'hope for the best/ pray harder' attitude. Unfortunately praying and hoping while deciding to put many clubs entire seasons in the hands of a system that was proven to not be fit for the purpose hasn't worked so far. In terms of progression of the virus/ government guidelines, it's been blindingly obvious how things would go since prior to making the decision to play the season in this sort of state. I honestly have no idea how anyone would be surprised by anything that's happened since, and what will happen in the coming months.

Long term risk - I agree in terms of the habit waning. There is a big difference between football coming back after a year out and the buzz everyone would have for that (obviously a long time ago, but the only real comparison here would be attendances post WW2) against what we're doing now in Scotland, which is continuing with 'football' in a horrible way with all the fun taken out of it. The longer we go on like this (it's barely even started at this point) the more people will drift off to do things that're more enjoyable than spending money to watch men run around after a ball slightly off camera for 2 hours.

Regarding the 300 in Dingwall last night - I of course fully understand your point, but again disagree in various ways. Firstly - on the financial side, 300 ST holders in the ground is £0 further income. It does however come with a whole variety of associated costs. In the first months of small amounts of fans being back, this is in no way a positive for the finances of any club. At best the cash made at pie shop/ on programmes etc. might cost the additional expenses and make it break even. Also, remembering this won't be/ isn't football as before, it's a little bit more fun than the streaming bullshit but it's hardly back to normal.

I'm in no way, shape or form having a go at the club and do agree with your point of essentially 'well, what can the club do?'. I don't have that answer unfortunately; It's too late down the line to do anything really. In terms of our current situation, we'll see later today, but if there are Pixellot issues, again I don't blame the club. It could be said they should have sorted it sooner, known this was going to happen etc. and I get why people would say that - but with the majority of our revenue streams taken away and all our expenses still in place, I'd imagine it somewhat difficult to be putting money into another system etc. and there would also be a whole variety of logistical problems.

By prepared - I don't mean the club should be prepared and have plans in place etc, I just mean they need to be very aware of the potential backlash from fans that could be incoming. Inverness' solution has been to ignore their own fans, refuse to give refunds, and basically say everyone is wrong and the stream is totally fine. Anyone who has watched it knows this isn't the case, and I really hope our club would/ will react differently if in a similar position....

A minor not-quite historic note.  Just came across an AFC programme from Sept 2015 when Arbroath sat at the foot of Division 2 having accumulated only 1 point after 4 games like our present situation but two leagues lower down  The Manager was Todd Lumsden and we finished the season on 39 points, second bottom - all before our subsequent meteoric rise

Messrs Little, Linn, Whatley and Gold were all in the squad then.

AFCprogNov202020201111_20283095.jpg

Edited by farflung lichtie

On 07/11/2020 at 11:43, SimonLichtie said:

Regarding the 300 in Dingwall last night - I of course fully understand your point, but again disagree in various ways. Firstly - on the financial side, 300 ST holders in the ground is £0 further income. It does however come with a whole variety of associated costs. In the first months of small amounts of fans being back, this is in no way a positive for the finances of any club. At best the cash made at pie shop/ on programmes etc. might cost the additional expenses and make it break even. Also, remembering this won't be/ isn't football as before, it's a little bit more fun than the streaming bullshit but it's hardly back to normal.

Pretty sure you'll not be allowed catering inside the stadium even once fans get back in and I'm not particularly clear on why programme profits would be much different to what they are online if indeed you get anything from that. Chances are the programmes are breakeven at best and you'll make your money from the adverts in them which will no change because people are in the ground.

So yeah, just emphasising your point. Getting any number of fans inside a ground which isn't in excess of the season ticket sales by a fair degree is going to cost clubs significantly, not improve the position.