Lichtie78

The Arbroath Thread

At any NEW AFC season ticket holder might be more tempted  to buy a season ticket if we had Hearts and Dunfermline at home twice this season as opposed to Alloa and say Queen of the South and that is just a fact of life.   

Possibly true for new recruits. As a long-standing season ticket holder, I probably prefer games against more equivalent sides. Apart from being more evenly matched, the segregation issue has been a factor. Since this is being tweaked (due to come into effect when lockdown struck), that secondary reason might change

I buy my season ticket to watch and support Arbroath no matter who they are playing, I hope no matter who we have to play that everyone who is In a position to do so buys a season ticket and gets behind the team so we can continue the success of the last few years.

I buy my season ticket to watch and support Arbroath no matter who they are playing, I hope no matter who we have to play that everyone who is In a position to do so buys a season ticket and gets behind the team so we can continue the success of the last few years.

Well said.
I’d like to see the club do a pay up system. In this climate it might be hard for people to splash out a lump sum for the season ticket. In my case Iv got to buy 3 (2 adults, 1 child) and it is quite an expense. It might not be possible tho for a club the size of ours.

I find this a bitty sad tbh, i know some players just play for who offers the most ££££ Austin at Kelty proves that but surely if you are good enough to play senior football would you not want to play at the highest level you could to prove yourself?
Could maybe understand someone aged 36+ who wants a final pay-day and to stand out in lower league football but anybody in their 20's early 30's i find this bizarre to say the least.
You have Bobby Linn who himself enjoyed the lure of the pound sign at the now aptly defunct Ballingry.

Bobby was a young boy when he signed for ballingry, they were obviously paying him a fortune and i think they even gave him a car at the time haha. Crazy 

I’d like to think now that no player playing regularly in our team would drop down 3 leagues to join these teams spending all the cash, Jamieson slightly different as he was always going to leave to be a No 1 somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Bobby was a young boy when he signed for ballingry, they were obviously paying him a fortune and i think they even gave him a car at the time haha. Crazy 

I’d like to think now that no player playing regularly in our team would drop down 3 leagues to join these teams spending all the cash, Jamieson slightly different as he was always going to leave to be a No 1 somewhere. 

Bobby Linn born October 1985  signed for Ballingry at start of 2012/13 season so  no he wasn't.

Well he was certainly a lot younger with less experience than he has now, I thought he was about 22,23 when he went there. 

Any ideas when (or if) new strip and merchandise will be out? 

Any ideas when (or if) new strip and merchandise will be out? 

We’ve only had our current strips 1 season so they won’t be changing

4 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Well he was certainly a lot younger with less experience than he has now, I thought he was about 22,23 when he went there. 

He had been playing senior football since 2003.  Not sure how accurate his Wikipedia  page is  but 16 games for Dundee, 97 for Peterhead, 23 for Morton and 177 for East Fife.

On 11/07/2020 at 15:35, lichtie23 said:

Well said.
I’d like to see the club do a pay up system. In this climate it might be hard for people to splash out a lump sum for the season ticket. In my case Iv got to buy 3 (2 adults, 1 child) and it is quite an expense. It might not be possible tho for a club the size of ours.

It's also largely pointless. The main point for clubs at this level (where ticket availability is not a limiting factor) promoting season tickets is to get money up front as a commitment so they know they have it regardless of form or weather, and can see them over the summer, get a more firm handle on the playing budget before they commit to contracts, etc. If fans are signed up to pay up over time most of that just isn't achieved and all you effectively get is a lower income (because he season ticket is discounted to compensate for paying it up front) for no cash flow advantage, assuming the club self finances such an arrangement. Also there's always a chance of season ticket holders simply stopping paying and if it's a physical ticket and not some sort of barcoded card that can be invalidated then they've still got the ticket and you're way out of pocket. There are of course finance companies who would provide the club with the cash up front and either charge interest to the supporters or a fee to the club (or both) to allow it to be paid up but such arrangements are so costly given the small size that it's pointless.

Frankly, if you aren't going to pay up front then from the club's point of view you may as well just pay as you go. I appreciate that won't suit personal circumstances such as yours but effectively that's the choice and to allow otherwise for the club is financially disadvantageous. Of course it has PR benefits, particularly at the moment.

Transfer window open from today until October 5th. I wonder if that means we will get the deal for the keeper confirmed?

I can only presume there is some underlying reason why former loanee Andy Ryan has gone to Stirling. Would have considered him as an attacking option following his release from Dunfermline, especially as it's an area of the pitch we need filling.

Does anyone know whether we have contributed to the Cove, Raith, Dundee Utd fighting fund?

On 13/07/2020 at 15:54, Smokerson said:

On 13/07/2020 at 15:54, Smokerson said:

He was 27, what you thought doesn't matter when it's utterly wrong. 

"I’d like to think now that no player playing regularly in our team would drop down 3 leagues to join these teams spending all the cash" 

Awkward. 

EK  have signed Paul Paton and Kyle Wilkie, not good enough for us, but surely better than Lowland League, some of these clubs have money

Now Chris Erskine

Went for a walk along the coast today with the wife and kids. Beautiful day and on the way back we seen the Gold & Gray football camp going on behind Gayfield. Very encouraging to see so many of the kids in Arbroath kits. The next generation of the support looks strong

Wouldn’t take any of they players if I’m honest

Never suggested any of them for us, if you had read the post, properly