The Arbroath Thread

I'm all for Wighton. Big lack of creativity in that team Bobby aside. Just looking for a couple of guys to try something aside from Bobby, it's all too predictable. Hilson is a start too and he looked promising I thought.

Think the Wighton thing is a similar kind of thing to O'Hara at Alloa. Both still really young guys but with a lot of football at a good level. Wighton at a much higher level overall, his scoring record isn't the best but at the same time before this season O'Hara only had 3 goals in 78 games.

Definitely worth a shot. The next 2 league games will be tough and even if we were to play very well we still might not pick up anything so important to just stay with the team and see what happens. It

Leagues extremely tight.

Not going to happen, but I’d have Jamieson in for Gaston ASAP. Granted Alloa’s set pieces last night were generally very good, but Gaston’s attempts to command his box were pathetic. Frustrating as hell seeing just about every other keeper in the league start counter attacks, and then Gaston waiting for the other team to regroup before hammering it 100 metres up in the air to no one in particular.

Murphy starting last night was absolutely crazy. I believe DC and Pink have both said that Murphy struggles with his game when off the ball, so it makes less than no sense to chuck him into a midfield 2 against an Alloa team who play everything through the middle.

Not going to happen, but I’d have Jamieson in for Gaston ASAP. Granted Alloa’s set pieces last night were generally very good, but Gaston’s attempts to command his box were pathetic. Frustrating as hell seeing just about every other keeper in the league start counter attacks, and then Gaston waiting for the other team to regroup before hammering it 100 metres up in the air to no one in particular.

Murphy starting last night was absolutely crazy. I believe DC and Pink have both said that Murphy struggles with his game when off the ball, so it makes less than no sense to chuck him into a midfield 2 against an Alloa team who play everything through the middle.
Two things IMO Alloa won the midfield battle flanny and Heatherington superb and Arbroath play a very high line . Alloa could have scored 3 or 4 first half . Arbroath were better second half without really doing anything

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Two things IMO Alloa won the midfield battle flanny and Heatherington superb and Arbroath play a very high line . Alloa could have scored 3 or 4 first half . Arbroath were better second half without really doing anything

Both times this season we’ve won the midfield battle using a midfield 3, makes last nights team selection and formation even more baffling

I didn't think Murphy was that bad, thought he was coming onto a game in the second half, there's no doubting his range of passing. It just seemed a bit strange to bring him in from the cold with Whatley on the bench, heard Gold was carrying a knock. 

If we were saying Murphy was poor, then what did we think of Miko? Very poor by his high standards and i also thought Stewart and Bobby were non existent. McKenna played well and you can see Hilson is a player.

Also, we cannot moan all season about not having a striker or creativity then we bring in Hilson, Wighton and Chalmers and still moan.

Wighton on paper probably the best signing I can think of us ever making since I've watched us. 22 year old and with the experience he has at a really good level

It might not work out but it's as good of a gamble as we could get in my opinion

If it comes through

Thought the 2 alloa central players absolutely bossed the first half. Don’t understand how it took so long to get someone on either of them considering how much that worked for us in previous games.

Completely shot ourselves in the foot but credit to alloa deserved winners with no real threat from Arbroath.

Wighton on paper probably the best signing I can think of us ever making since I've watched us. 22 year old and with the experience he has at a really good level

It might not work out but it's as good of a gamble as we could get in my opinion

If it comes through
He's never really actually performed well at any level though. He's a guy who has made a career so far out of being a promising youngster without having anything to show for it.

He's never really actually performed well at any level though. He's a guy who has made a career so far out of being a promising youngster without having anything to show for it.

For a guy who's made as many appearances as he has he's obviously done reasonably well and done something right. To even be labelled as promising surely shows that?

It's as good of a gamble we could make, if it wasn't Wighton it would be another young player with zero experience.

45 minutes ago, Mexico said:

11 goals in 139 career games from Wighton...those stats make Spence look like Aguero.

To be fair to him, he's not a striker.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
55 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If it comes through

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

For a guy who's made as many appearances as he has he's obviously done reasonably well and done something right. To even be labelled as promising surely shows that?

It's as good of a gamble we could make, if it wasn't Wighton it would be another young player with zero experience.

I've never seen a player as highly rated as Wighton deliver so little. In all his games for Dundee, he provided genuine moments of quality in about 3 passages of play that I can remember. Not 3 games, 3 passages of play within those games.

He clearly has something - the amount of praise he's received is that of a world beater in Scottish footballing terms. James McPake described him as 'Up there, if not better' than the likes of Graham Dorrans, Leigh Griffiths & Robert Snodgrass at the same stage of their careers. John Brown labelled him as one of the best talents he's been able to work with and as John Brown tends to do, he name dropped a litany of Rangers stars (I can't remember the names). And finally, the likes of Gary Harkins and Peter MacDonald both hailed him as the best youngster they've ever worked with.

He obviously has something - I feel he's destined for a career flitting between League One and League Two personally. His most famous moment in Scottish football will obviously go down in history as a big moment for Dundee - but even that was a miskick/sclaffed shot.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He's not an out and out striker, nor is he a left winger (no matter how many time Hartley and McCann tried to make him one). Let him float in and around a main striker and you'll have yourself a very decent acquisition. He also absolutely loved playing at Gayfield. 

He's not an out and out striker, nor is he a left winger (no matter how many time Hartley and McCann tried to make him one). Let him float in and around a main striker and you'll have yourself a very decent acquisition. He also absolutely loved playing at Gayfield. 

I hope so Dele.

It might not work out but I think it's a great gamble to make

It's a massive step up from somebody like Josh Campbell who was on loan the first half of the season and coming on to play behind the striker

I hope so Dele.

It might not work out but I think it's a great gamble to make

It's a massive step up from somebody like Josh Campbell who was on loan the first half of the season and coming on to play behind the striker

Am told Arbroath turned down 100k for O'Brian find that hard to believe that's a lot of money for a club to turn down