The Arbroath Thread

21 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Does anyone know what injuries Swankie and Stewart have? They’ve been out for a long time.

Think Stewart is 2 weeks away and should be ready for Morton and swankie has a hernia and finally having his op this week so he won’t be back for another 4- 6 weeks I reckon

That was another tough watch today, we offer very little going forward, it was mentioned many times we were in need if forward thinking players and we didnt sign any, looking at the bench and we had very littoe options to help us back into game,

Very strange subs today, all in favour of spence coming on but not to play left wing,

IMO this was a knee jerk reaction picked team from DC. Last week against Ayr we were punished for not putting in a faultless performance. We needed experienced guys out there today. The young loanees certainly didn't let themselves down but their lack of experience showed at times. Agree we didn't show much up top but the first Dundee goal in off the post compared with ours which rebounded out is the fine margin between getting something from a game and not. Same at Tannadice with Campbell shot off the post. We had better get used to this type of game as it will be typical of games for us this season but it is what part time sides need to do. Wins might be few and far between this season and We need to make the most of home games as away points could be like hens teeth. Very rare.

I’d love to see a strong performance against Clyde in the cup. Give us a lift and a wee bit of momentum for the tough fixtures to follow.
Yeh, hopefully a few changes tho, Campbell deserves another chance, Actually think Little needs a break and was at fault for the corner that led to the 2nd goal, Can see Donnelly starting but would love to see us try 2 up top with Doris and Spence up top and gold and linn on wings,

Thought we were way short of any real quality on Saturday and agree I didn't see the need to make the changes after one poorish half against Ayr, however we probably needed to get a look at Stirling and Virtanen at some point. We are pretty much where I thought we would be at this stage in terms of points. We should've got a point at Inverness and United and should've beat THistle at home (horrendous decision by linesman cost us 3 points)

Don't realty think we are any better or any worse than QOTS, Dunfermline, Morton, Thistle and Alloa so its going to be a battle every week for points.

Would another loan forward/striker make much difference given the way we play? They would have to be able to chase down all the long punts upfield, retain possession, create  their own chances and score regularly.  If they could do that I don't think they would be put out on loan. 

It's a big step up from League 1 and we have players capable of playing at this level, but other sides get more players upfield quickly to support their strikers on the break than we do. They also manage to get them back to defend quickly. It is difficult for part time players in this league playing against full time teams who can work all week on their technical ability, fitness and tactics without having to deal with any work related issues away from football. 

Hopefully, as the season goes on, we will become harder to beat and get a few more breaks in games. So whilst I don't expect us to win that many games this season, I think that getting enough points to avoid automatic relegation could be considered a success. Avoiding the play offs would be an even bigger success..

Would another loan forward/striker make much difference given the way we play? They would have to be able to chase down all the long punts upfield, retain possession, create  their own chances and score regularly.  If they could do that I don't think they would be put out on loan. 
It's a big step up from League 1 and we have players capable of playing at this level, but other sides get more players upfield quickly to support their strikers on the break than we do. They also manage to get them back to defend quickly. It is difficult for part time players in this league playing against full time teams who can work all week on their technical ability, fitness and tactics without having to deal with any work related issues away from football. 
Hopefully, as the season goes on, we will become harder to beat and get a few more breaks in games. So whilst I don't expect us to win that many games this season, I think that getting enough points to avoid automatic relegation could be considered a success. Avoiding the play offs would be an even bigger success..

Agree with this to an extent but its a bit harsh, we defo need more pace in the team and need to open up a bit, i find it hard to believe there wasnt better options in the summer,
Looking at bench on saturday and there waa nothing there that can help us turn a game around, Teams are already realising if they keep Linn quiet we dont offer much else,

Wouldnt be opposed to see Mckenna back up top with Doris to give us a bit more fight and mobility, Give Linn switching wings too, Stuck out on the left hasnt worked lately,

Agree with this to an extent but its a bit harsh, we defo need more pace in the team and need to open up a bit, i find it hard to believe there wasnt better options in the summer,
Looking at bench on saturday and there waa nothing there that can help us turn a game around, Teams are already realising if they keep Linn quiet we dont offer much else,

Wouldnt be opposed to see Mckenna back up top with Doris to give us a bit more fight and mobility, Give Linn switching wings too, Stuck out on the left hasnt worked lately,

Wallace has scored 4 for East Fife. Disappointing he left.

49 minutes ago, gone fishing said:

Heard we played Montrose in Perth last night beat them 4-0 goals from Doris spence Donnelly and josh who I presume is one of the loan guys from hibs

No probs with that. Bounce games are a benefit to both clubs whatever the result. Players not regularly in the starting eleven need pitch time and I for one am pleased the Smokies and the Mo get on well with each other these days (the Campbell connection?) away from the more meaty encounters.'

Right behind the Smokies to get it together again and fly the flag for Angus in the Championship.

Right behind the Smokies to get it together again and fly the flag for Angus in the Championship.

I must be getting soft with age too. I feared for Montrose after their poor start to this season’s campaign, but a couple of good results were a promising turnaround. I’m fairly sure derbies may be resumed in the not too distant future so healthy have only a one-Division gap.