The Arbroath Thread

Pretty pathetic overall.  3 goals conceded all originated from our left side of the park. Maybe this should tell us something. 

The resident idiot says we were “ok”

Today we were a shambles, especially in the middle of the park

We got far too carried away after wins against Elgin and Stirling and now people are getting carried away after a defeat today. Still searching for our best 11, next week is when the real stuff starts and hopefully we can get off to a flyer with 3 points at home.

Think we are short of 2 players like most others, not sure kids from the Premier league reserves are necessarily the answer, if they are then they need to be the right ones that will improve our first 11. 

The clubs who reach the last 16 of the competition receive £40,000 prize money, so we have missed out on that - which I am sure the club would have appreciated.

On Tues night at Easter Rd  Arbroath  lost a goal within 3 mins of kick and much the same happened today - Alloa equalised with 60 seconds and then when we scored our second goal, Alloa went back in front within 4 mins .............

Overall I thought Alloa edged it today and were  perhaps worthy of their win - their forwards were fast at breaking and took their opportunities.

Arbroath's key player for me was Bobby Linn  - he looked fit, sharp and up for it.

In recent years we have never had a good record against Alloa - hopefully that will change this season.

The way I'm looking at it is that's pre season done. The game next week will be a better benchmark and I'm sure DC is negotiating potential loan moves. We have rotated the squad through the cup and I feel as a whole while I like seeing competitive games over friendlies the league cup has been devalued a lot by those participating in the group stages and is being used as a pre season training exercise by a lot of the clubs that feature in it.

Looking forward to the real football starting next week.

Today was so disappointing  as I fully expected us to make the last 16, The midfield just didn’t look up for it and the left side was a nightmare, It wasn’t just the not taking our chances today but the basics and school boy errors like not tracking back, giving the ball away cheaply and the biggest sin of all switching off as a team after you have just scored. Sickner

I don't disagree but that's what this cup has done to itself really. DC said he was rotating the squad again for this weekend and already said earlier this was preseason for us. Financial and Cup run aside that is the reality with this cup now.

It’s also ridiculous to think we should just turn up and beat Alloa, they have been the yardstick for part time clubs now for about 5 years and you could see how good a team they were today. 

I’m still confident with 1 or 2 additions we can get off to a good start and get points on the board and agree with 1320s team selection earlier. 

Today was our benchmark to send a message to alloa who we might be battling to stay in this division. Man for man Alloa don’t have better players than us but where so better organised than us.

I’m sorry but from what I seen today not one player from Arbroath would make it into an Alloa starting 11

22 minutes ago, Wasp97 said:

I’m sorry but from what I seen today not one player from Arbroath would make it into an Alloa starting 11

I'd take Bobby Linn. Beyond that I'd certainly struggle. Even TOB that everyone hypes up I don't think I've ever seen him be exceptional against us. Certainly watching the game back the Arbroath back 4 look very disjointed.

Yes, Alloa did dominate the midfield with the neat inter passing and quick breaks and we only competed later on. Keeping better control of the ball, and being a bit more patient when we have it, then being sharp enough to win it back will be important. Interesting that, after the subs came on, we seemed to stop Alloa playing out from the back... though it does leave open spaces in defence. We need to be a bit sharper all over. Dismal refereeing too. That said, we missed a good number of reasonable chances and a few half chances - a little more composure in key situations and we’d have won that, though did not deserve it.

I'd take Bobby Linn. Beyond that I'd certainly struggle. Even TOB that everyone hypes up I don't think I've ever seen him be exceptional against us. Certainly watching the game back the Arbroath back 4 look very disjointed.

You have to remember

We could have the Barcelona 11 and still not beat Alloa

It's a pain in the arse

Obviously both biased but wouldn't take any of your defence or keeper, very happy with what we have, think it's so so in midfield and not much in it but going forward would 100 percent have Trouten, Thomson, Cawley and Stirling.

We badly need players like Cawley and Stirling and we are lacking upfront with Wallace gone

Actually think Doris looks good. Maybe needs to lose a wee bit but looks fit, just needs to start putting the ball in the net

Spence improved big time for me over summer but I feel he'd be extremely successful for a team at the top of the league below

Donnelly could trap a ball falling a million mile out the sky, great first touch but I'm not convinced on anything else

Hopefully we add a loan here

And out wide too

I think it’s harsh to criticise our defence after that game. Their midfield had so much time to pick passes to runners that any defence would concede. Whatley could have made a difference by breaking up those moves before they got going.
I also haven’t changed my opinion on the January signings. A mistake. Let’s not compound it by playing them in the vague hope that either become assets in the Championship.