Lichtie78

The Arbroath Thread

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Holy suffering f**k!

It's ours to win this season.

Must be a massive trophy to fit all that writing on.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Holy suffering f**k!

I don't like this competition, well that was until today, superb

I'm intrigued as to what you'd define as a 'chance'. Spence played 21 games last year (13 starts, 11 sub appearances) in the league and Doris got 9 starts and 11 sub appearances. I love Stevie D and think his all round game offers a lot to the team, and considering he was coming back from a long term injury mid season without doing a pre season obviously has to be taken into considering. However, facts are facts and 2 goals in 20 appearances in the league below the one we're going into is worrying, lets be honest.
Greig Spence didn't score a single goal in the league last season, despite playing 21 games overall (13 for us). He struggled at Championship level (as he has done throughout his career) and was punted by Alloa (a team we have to be looking to be better than this year) due to not being up to it for them. He then dropped down to us and in those 13 games was, frankly, abject at absolute best.
Those goalscoring records are what you expect at a team at the bottom of the division, not the top of it. Considering the amount of chances we created at times last season, it's very alarmingly to me that two strikers managed two goals in 41 appearances overall. Let's also remember our other 'main' attacking option is Luke Donnelly....... surely he deserves as much as a chance as Spence/ Doris?
How much of a chance should any player be given on top of what they got last year? Another 10/15 games at Championship level!?
With a pre season under him Spence and Doris and Donnelly might be better prepared. DC at the AGM was very positive about our squad for this season but no doubt he will add to it if needed. He has produced the goods so far and we need to support him or at least give him the benefit of the doubt to begin with.

As much as I can’t be arsed with this competition, I would love a decent away trip. 

As much as I can’t be arsed with this competition, I would love a decent away trip. 

Alloa away

21 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm intrigued as to what you'd define as a 'chance'. Spence played 21 games last year (13 starts, 11 sub appearances) in the league and Doris got 9 starts and 11 sub appearances. I love Stevie D and think his all round game offers a lot to the team, and considering he was coming back from a long term injury mid season without doing a pre season obviously has to be taken into considering. However, facts are facts and 2 goals in 20 appearances in the league below the one we're going into is worrying, lets be honest.

Greig Spence didn't score a single goal in the league last season, despite playing 21 games overall (13 for us). He struggled at Championship level (as he has done throughout his career) and was punted by Alloa (a team we have to be looking to be better than this year) due to not being up to it for them. He then dropped down to us and in those 13 games was, frankly, abject at absolute best.

Those goalscoring records are what you expect at a team at the bottom of the division, not the top of it. Considering the amount of chances we created at times last season, it's very alarmingly to me that two strikers managed two goals in 41 appearances overall. Let's also remember our other 'main' attacking option is Luke Donnelly....... surely he deserves as much as a chance as Spence/ Doris?

How much of a chance should any player be given on top of what they got last year? Another 10/15 games at Championship level!?

Agree with all of this, I would be very concerned going into the championship with Doris, Donnelly and Spence. 99% convinced there will be two forwards coming in whether that be on loan or not. 

We'll likely be playing one upfront with one just off (likely McKenna) so I think their may only be one coming in, provided none of those 3 leave.

A fit Doris might do a job, I still think there might be more to come from Donnelly while Spence would be my preference to get shot of. Need some mugs in the Lowland League to throw money at him.

Might not manage to get loans in for a few weeks yet. Young guys will be away on pre season training camps with their clubs.

Some good suggestions so far. Daniel Armstrong from Ross County would be good to get too if it was possible.

On 25/06/2019 at 12:56, RedLichtie86 said:
On 25/06/2019 at 12:41, Lichtie78 said:

Lee Erwin is a free agent after his wee jaunt to Iran was unsurprisingly cut short. Ridiculously optimistic but chuck him a deal and let him put himself in the shop window perhaps?

Hell even just a deal until the end of August would be ideal. He could get some game time and have the option to go anywhere after it.

That's not actually allowed under current rules. Minimum contract length is to the opening of the next window so anyone signed today has to be contracted to 1st January minimum.

Plus, given the 2 clubs in one season limit now, no player in their right mind would write off one of them before the League season even starts. If it then doesn't work at a new club then he's stuck there for the rest of the season anyway.

I must say I’m getting concerned at the lack of any signing news. One real benefit we derived last season was having the entire squad in place early, hence the great start which we continued. Like others on here, strengthening the squad in several key areas seems essential to try and be competitive. Yet we’ve not replaced our most effective forward from last season (Bobby Linn being much more than that). We have every reason to have faith in the management team (and the Board) so these gaps may yet/must be filled ... but time is passing.

I’m normally very patient and realistic but the start of the season can often set the tone for the remainder and it looks to be even more challenging

Good pubs near the ground for away fans? 

Tutties directly across from the ground is your best shout. Millgate is probably 2nd closest and that is a shithole.

Good pubs near the ground for away fans? 

Get off train

Station Bar

West Port Bar

Anchor

Bar 1320

Millgate

Tutties

Gayfield

Devitos

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Tutties directly across from the ground is your best shout. Millgate is probably 2nd closest and that is a shithole.

Top man mate cheers

I'm right up for going to a shitehole. 99p drinks? 

32 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Get off train

Station Bar

West Port Bar

Anchor

Bar 1320

Millgate

Tutties

Gayfield

Devitos

Wednesday nigh pub crawl sounds superb.

Edited by Hello Sailor
fucked it

Top man mate cheers

Millgate is a rugby pub. So a shithole but not a good shithole

42 minutes ago, Hello Sailor said:

Top man mate cheers

If you’re lucky enough to get served by the ignorant bar staff, it isn’t a cheap shitehole unfortunately. 

A few more items of news that season ticket sales are on course to break club records!

65262169_2481826421836572_8344003501910654976_n.jpg