The Arbroath Thread

Derek-Gaston-1024x694.jpg

New signing - Derek Gaston

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce that we have agreed terms to sign former Greenock Morton goalkeeper, Derek Gaston.

Derek becomes the second signing of the summer as Manager Dick Campbell starts to build his squad for Championship football.

Derek has spent the past 7 seasons at Greenock Morton where he was the clubs longest serving player making 218 first team appearances (216 starts, 2 substitutes), keeping 68 clean sheets - the 5th highest in the Club’s history.

Derek, 32, also helped Morton claim 2nd in the old First Division in his debut season in 2012/2013 losing out to Partick Thistle. 

Derek also lifted the League One trophy in 2014/2015 and was named in the League One Team of the year.

Derek also was with Albion Rovers from 2009 to 2012 where he made 78 appearances. 

A former lifeguard, Derek has also passed the UEFA B coaching licence and is currently also a goalkeeping coach at Kilmarnock’s Academy.

Derek will battle with DJ for the number One jersey under the guidance of goalkeeping coach, Robert Douglas.

Welcome to the club Derek!

C’mon the Lichties!

Very surprised we've signed another keeper of such a high standard - that's two very good keepers we've got on the books now. Certainly neither could be considered a backup keeper even at this level.

Scott Stewart has stood out for Airdrie over the last two seasons in my opinion - fairly quick despite being a bit beanpoley and as mentioned above gets up and down the park and takes a man on from what I remember.

If we look at it from an upgrading player point of view; Gaston is miles better than Darren Hill and Scott Stewart is most likely an upgrade on Danny Denholm based on the past 18 months for both player.

Good news all round in my opinion :D 

Two solid signings IMO. Stewart has impressed me when I’ve seen him for Airdrie, didn’t look like he has the best of seasons last time out but still young with potential. Gaston is a great signing, good competition for the number one spot. Anyone else get the feeling the management aren’t all that hot about DJ?

Still need two forwards I think. Spence/Donnelly debate has been done to death so won’t go into detail. Think we will be looking into the loan market for at least one forward, preferably a pacey striker (Don’t imagine anyone else will be after one of them lol) and then someone else who can perhaps play out wide as well.

We’ve never had any defensive cover since DC came here, why start now...?Joking aside I think (if fit) Lewis Toshney could be worth a punt, maybe only on a short term deal to begin with. Proven at this level and can cover a few positions.

Two solid signings IMO. Stewart has impressed me when I’ve seen him for Airdrie, didn’t look like he has the best of seasons last time out but still young with potential. Gaston is a great signing, good competition for the number one spot. Anyone else get the feeling the management aren’t all that hot about DJ?

Still need two forwards I think. Spence/Donnelly debate has been done to death so won’t go into detail. Think we will be looking into the loan market for at least one forward, preferably a pacey striker (Don’t imagine anyone else will be after one of them lol) and then someone else who can perhaps play out wide as well.

We’ve never had any defensive cover since DC came here, why start now...?Joking aside I think (if fit) Lewis Toshney could be worth a punt, maybe only on a short term deal to begin with. Proven at this level and can cover a few positions.
Not seen or heard anything that would give you the impression they dont like DJ.

They did say they needed another keeper as they wont go into this season with only Hill as backup.

Gaston a cracking signing. He's not the perfect goalkeeper which is why this is the level he's playing at, but all but a couple of teams in this league could have him as their first choice and he wouldn't look out of place.

Poor distribution but makes up for it with amazing reflexes and some of the best saves you'll ever see at this level.

44 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

DJ has got to start the season as number one keeper. He was great last season.

Have to say, was told at the Dumbarton game, DJ had been offered a contract, but there was a new No1 coming in for the new season

I would find it astonishing if our best keeper in years and best keeper in league 1 last season doesn’t start as our no1

I agree with this, after the season he has had, deserves the shirt

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Didn’t see that coming at all. Good signing especially getting him to go part time.

He will likely be increasing his hours at the Time Capsule as a result.

Great shot stopper, sometimes with saves he had no right making (a close range one against Ayr and THAT save at Palmerston spring to mind). Has a hefty boot on him, which we never really encouraged - he once scored (wind assisted) at Airdrie in a reserve game.

Had a lot of time for the fans too.