The Arbroath Thread

7 hours ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Absolutely superb news about Doris, The club have stuck by the smokie legend and now watch Mr Goals flourish in the Championship to repay the faith. 

Blind faith is a dangerous thing.... ;) 

Slightly surprised at the reaction to Doris signing - can only presume people would have been breaking down in tears and taking days off work to celebrate if Wallace had been staying :lol: I don't think it's fair on Doris himself for us to be pinning such hope/ expectation on him for next season.

I'm pleased Stevie D has signed on for next season, out of the 3 we have up top he is clearly our best option. However, we quite clearly still need another two forward options who will hopefully add the goals we desperately need up top. People continue to speak about Stevie D's fitness - but as far as I'm aware/ have repeatedly been told that he has been fully fit for months; probably close to fit as he's going to be without playing matches every week. Dick decided to play Donnelly and Spence ahead of Doris for months and not let him get the match fitness he needed - would be quite a bizarre situation if we went up a division and that reversed. It's very odd that he wasn't given that run of matches to get up to full match fitness, as it's difficult to tell what we'll get next year. In my opinion Stevie Doris on current form in the second half of last season will struggle to offer much to us in the Championship. However, if we can get a proper could of strikers around him as opposed to what we have currently and give him some proper game time/ proper players to play with I think he will have an important role to play.

I expect that we'll be playing 1 up top a fair bit in the coming season, and a fit Doris is probably as good a lone striker we'll be able to get.

He can win aerial battles, hold the ball up back to goal and he can put a shift in (when fit).

If we're to compete in the Championship, we'll have to adapt our style to become a team that can absorb sustained pressure and play on the counter.

The best looking man in the lower league football has signed a new deal
An absolute gentleman as well.
Very pleased to see that we are sticking with the majority of the squad that won the league. Its a big step up but I think a big plus is the amount of time these players have played together, add a couple of decent signings and we can give it a good go next season.

Absolutely superb having Mark back again, what a player and captain, It’s fantastic to have pretty much abody aside from the 3 that have left, that brings the squad down to 15 with Dick saying he will go with a squad of no more than 20 in the championship so 5 experienced fresh faces will be fantastic, the bulk of the squad have played together for years and are winners, adding a few more experienced top players and I think we will do just fine.

Absolutely superb having Mark back again, what a player and captain, It’s fantastic to have pretty much abody aside from the 3 that have left, that brings the squad down to 15 with Dick saying he will go with a squad of no more than 20 in the championship so 5 experienced fresh faces will be fantastic, the bulk of the squad have played together for years and are winners, adding a few more experienced top players and I think we will do just fine.

Brilliant to have Mark back at the core of the team.

I suspect that Dick might be after a couple of youngsters on loan in addition to some journeymen. We saw some great loanees play against us like the boy at Stranraer. It might be a better way to get a sharp striker in. We all remember Lee Erwin and the goals he got.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:22, SimonLichtie said:

Blind faith is a dangerous thing.... ;) 

Slightly surprised at the reaction to Doris signing - can only presume people would have been breaking down in tears and taking days off work to celebrate if Wallace had been staying :lol: I don't think it's fair on Doris himself for us to be pinning such hope/ expectation on him for next season.

I'm pleased Stevie D has signed on for next season, out of the 3 we have up top he is clearly our best option. However, we quite clearly still need another two forward options who will hopefully add the goals we desperately need up top. People continue to speak about Stevie D's fitness - but as far as I'm aware/ have repeatedly been told that he has been fully fit for months; probably close to fit as he's going to be without playing matches every week. Dick decided to play Donnelly and Spence ahead of Doris for months and not let him get the match fitness he needed - would be quite a bizarre situation if we went up a division and that reversed. It's very odd that he wasn't given that run of matches to get up to full match fitness, as it's difficult to tell what we'll get next year. In my opinion Stevie Doris on current form in the second half of last season will struggle to offer much to us in the Championship. However, if we can get a proper could of strikers around him as opposed to what we have currently and give him some proper game time/ proper players to play with I think he will have an important role to play.

Agree to an extent but there is more of an emotional tie to Doris than say a Ryan Wallace which may create the blind faith. 

A full pre season should really benefit him then we will see where he is.

Gtf day is beginning of June I'm sure

That's all the current squad signed up so looking forward to seeing some fresh faces. Sure pre season starts middle of June
Maybe if you have the time post a list of currently signed squad and how long contracts are?

This season just finished saw us break some records for the club.

17 league games unbeaten from the start of the season is easily our best ever and is also our best ever run of league games without defeat.
70 points equals our best ever actual points total, although if there were 3 points for a win in 1966/67 we’d have got 82 points, ironically finishing 3rd and missing out on promotion.
6 losses equals our lowest number of league defeats in a season.
The run of 8 league wins in a row came close but fell short of the 9 wins in a row we got in 1967/68, when we did get promoted to the top flight.
And, if you ignore the season after the Second World War which was not a full league (so I don’t count it as the official league) then Omar scored our 3000th home league goal netting our first v Stenny on 1st December.

All in all, not a bad season.
This is the kind of content I like.

Maybe if you have the time post a list of currently signed squad and how long contracts are?

Darren Jamieson

Jason Thomson
Tam O’Brien
Ricky Little
Colin Hamilton

Mark Whatley
Gavin Swankie
David Gold
Bobby Linn
Omar Kader

Steven Doris
Greig Spence
Luke Donnelly

As far as I know, only TOB and Little are signed beyond the end of next season. Whatley maybe as well, and I think there is an option in Bobbys contract for another year.

Darren Jamieson

Jason Thomson
Tam O’Brien
Ricky Little
Colin Hamilton

Mark Whatley
Gavin Swankie
David Gold
Bobby Linn
Omar Kader

Steven Doris
Greig Spence
Luke Donnelly

As far as I know, only TOB and Little are signed beyond the end of next season. Whatley maybe as well, and I think there is an option in Bobbys contract for another year.

Whately has only signed a 1 year extension which runs to the end of next season!

Stevie D and #TeamLuke to run the show