The Arbroath Thread

I think it would be a really bad idea to get rid of doris even not a fully fit doris is better than spence and donnelly and would be really worried if we kept them 2 and got rid of wallace and doris. Love mcCord as a player but he will go just cant get fully fit which is ashame likes.

Agreed, if Doris can have a good pre season and committed outside of that, which I think he is as he has trimmed down massively coming back from injury. I think he would be an asset to us in championship. Again agree I’d take an unfit Stevie or Spence or donelly any day of the week! 

Pongo, as much as I rate him and I hate saying this but unfortunately just don’t think he has that fire in him anymore. 

The unfortunate part of the club moving up is that good servants might not make the step up. We have a choice to stick with the similar squad with maybe like 4 additions, which is something I hope we do, the majority of our squad deserve that chance and we have acquitted ourselves pretty well in the league cups games against tougher teams. 

We currently have three strikers signed up - Wallace, Spence and Donnelly, and out of those 3 even those who dislike Waldo would agree he is the best option. However, even those who love Waldo (me) would agree that to be looking to stay up next year we'd have to be signing a striker who is at least on the same sort of level as Wallace, of course preferably a step up, who would be our number 1 striker for the year.

It's immensely frustrating that we already have 3 strikers signed up, as if no-one was signed up it'd be a stick on we should keep Wallace and Doris with McKenna/ Swanks options up there also and try to add at least one quality striker to those options. I'm really stuck on this, as I strongly believe we need to be trying to sign an upgrade on all the strikers we have, while at the same time I believe Doris is quite clearly a better option than Spence/ Donnelly.

Ultimately my opinion is we can't afford  to keep Stevie D IF we were keeping all 3 of the strikers we already have signed up, as we need to add a quality player to our options up there. However, it would be very frustrating/ silly to let Stevie go and keep Spence/ Donnelly for next season........ We can't just load ourselves up with 22/23 players on hundreds of pounds a week as was previously suggested - that's absolutely wild in my opinion. If we did that, we'd end up paying out £1500 odd quid every week on players who weren't playing/ contributing. I really feel we need to be realistic about things - we don't have an unlimited budget to carry 5/6/7 strikers on good wages, and if we don't add 4/5/6 good quality players to the squad I don't think we'll be anywhere near staying up in the Championship next season.

We currently have three strikers signed up - Wallace, Spence and Donnelly, and out of those 3 even those who dislike Waldo would agree he is the best option. However, even those who love Waldo (me) would agree that to be looking to stay up next year we'd have to be signing a striker who is at least on the same sort of level as Wallace, of course preferably a step up, who would be our number 1 striker for the year.
It's immensely frustrating that we already have 3 strikers signed up, as if no-one was signed up it'd be a stick on we should keep Wallace and Doris with McKenna/ Swanks options up there also and try to add at least one quality striker to those options. I'm really stuck on this, as I strongly believe we need to be trying to sign an upgrade on all the strikers we have, while at the same time I believe Doris is quite clearly a better option than Spence/ Donnelly.
Ultimately my opinion is we can't afford  to keep Stevie D IF we were keeping all 3 of the strikers we already have signed up, as we need to add a quality player to our options up there. However, it would be very frustrating/ silly to let Stevie go and keep Spence/ Donnelly for next season........ We can't just load ourselves up with 22/23 players on hundreds of pounds a week as was previously suggested - that's absolutely wild in my opinion. If we did that, we'd end up paying out £1500 odd quid every week on players who weren't playing/ contributing. I really feel we need to be realistic about things - we don't have an unlimited budget to carry 5/6/7 strikers on good wages, and if we don't add 4/5/6 good quality players to the squad I don't think we'll be anywhere near staying up in the Championship next season.

Agree, luckily enough for us all it's DC that has to make the difficult decisions

I think we are well placed everywhere as a team but going forward without Bobby we don't look anywhere near as much a threat. I think we need to improve there

Looking at Alloa this season. They signed Kirkpatrick on loan from St Mirren, Zanatta on loan from Hearts and Shields on loan from Sunderland, Aitchison on loan from Celtic and added these guys to the players they had there as their own, Trouten/Cawley in attacking positions

The rest of their team, defence and midfield is exactly the same as it was in League 1.

Parry / Robertson / Graham / Taggart / Dick / Hetherington / Flannigan

I think

Jamieson / Thomson / ToB / Little / Hammy / Whatley / Swankie

Is just as good as what Alloa have but going forward and out wide we need to keep some of our best players, Linn / Wallace / McKenna and add to them like Alloa have. Championship teams be much harder to break down.

Another thing I noticed Goodwin say on the radio the other week is even though they're part time the players all work on their fitness the 5 days during the week they all have their own fitness to do in their own time. So everyone will need to be extremely fit (think most are and most probably do this already) next season. That's why I think McCord especially would struggle

I was delighted when Mccord signed for us under Mckinnon as he is a great player technically, but even when full time with us his fitness was miles off the pace in the Championship.

Hes a very tidy player though that I'm sure could do a good job in League 1.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have heard that they may be looking to offload Spence, Donkely or both in the summer as its clear that are not ready for the step up.

Would free up much needed space and wages.

Spence has been there before and isn't good enough for the Championship - League One is his level. 

Some players will however surprise you the way that they step up to it.

Doris needs a good pre season and can be a real asset in the championship. The way he plays is tailor made for going up a level. It would be absolutely ludicrous to not offer him a deal or at least to come back and do pre season to get his fitness. He may however get offered a good deal elsewhere and decide to move on.

I would look to move McCord and Denholm on, they’ve both done ok in flashes but have had limited game time and need replaced. 

Doris needs a good pre season and can be a real asset in the championship. The way he plays is tailor made for going up a level. It would be absolutely ludicrous to not offer him a deal or at least to come back and do pre season to get his fitness. He may however get offered a good deal elsewhere and decide to move on.

I would look to move McCord and Denholm on, they’ve both done ok in flashes but have had limited game time and need replaced. 

I would add Omar and Hill to that.

In DC interview on that radio station he made a comment about Spence and Donnelly being very good players but not sure how much he could utilise them in the league above. So maybe they will end up elsewhere who knows.

Looking forward to seeing how we shape up. We're in a good position now for potentially getting some exciting loan players.

I think players like Kader and Denholm still have a bit part to play if we are to keep a successful squad together. It’d be easy to bin them off then end up paying more money for worse players in the end. 

Edited by Mexico

13 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

I think Doris can certainly do a job in the championship with a full pre season in place. Hope he stays. McCord is a talent but can't see where he would fit in the team next season.

Maybe I'm being harsh but Doris looked well out of his depth in the second tier with full-time training and mid 20s.

I think you guys will give a good account of yourselves but you need to be a bit brutal about players like that.

I think players like Kader and Denholm still have a bit part to play if we are to keep a successful squad together. It’d be easy to bin them off then end up playing more money for worse players in the end. 

Aye, I definitely think we will keep one of Kader and Denholm. Kader will be cheaper and more likely to be happy with a bit part role I’d imagine.

Maybe I'm being harsh but Doris looked well out of his depth in the second tier with full-time training and mid 20s.
I think you guys will give a good account of yourselves but you need to be a bit brutal about players like that.
Some players struggle with the jump from part time to full time football. Also he did suffer from a few injuries that season which could not have helped.

Some players struggle with the jump from part time to full time football. Also he did suffer from a few injuries that season which could not have helped.

Think that's the point, the whole league next season (minus maybe Alloa) will be a jump as it's all full time clubs. Dundee would have been the biggest club in the league at the time too. We'll be up against it every week

Think that's the point, the whole league next season (minus maybe Alloa) will be a jump as it's all full time clubs. Dundee would have been the biggest club in the league at the time too. We'll be up against it every week

At the time Dundee had a very bloated squad. Think they had nearer 8 strikers and 2 or 3 managers that year. Doris was just in the door and well down the pecking order. He came to us in loan yo get game time and ended up getting injured against Forfar. Im sure that ruled him out for 3 months and didnt get back playing until March.

There is nothing to say that he couldnt do a job at that level playing in a team of our size. More chance of game time and less injuries.

Would be nice to give him pre season and see how he copes.