The Arbroath Thread

Swankie has been good this season but I definitely think there’s an argument for McCord to be used more often than he is at present. I’d definitely prefer Swankie being replaced by McCord + one of the strikers off rather than taking both strikers off as we have done recently.

Swankie has been good this season but I definitely think there’s an argument for McCord to be used more often than he is at present. I’d definitely prefer Swankie being replaced by McCord + one of the strikers off rather than taking both strikers off as we have done recently.
Problem is McCord lacks the mobility to play in a midfield 2.

Sitting behind a striker or part of a midfield 3 he is very effective. Can focus on recieving the ball and unlocking teams with a perfect pass. Or even sitting on the edge of the box to try a shot.

In a midfield 2 he doesnt do well defensively and that puts extra pressure on the other midfielder and the defence.

Problem is McCord lacks the mobility to play in a midfield 2.

Sitting behind a striker or part of a midfield 3 he is very effective. Can focus on recieving the ball and unlocking teams with a perfect pass. Or even sitting on the edge of the box to try a shot.

In a midfield 2 he doesnt do well defensively and that puts extra pressure on the other midfielder and the defence.

I’m not proposing he starts but coming on as a sub when the conditions are right it shouldn’t be such an issue. On Saturday Gav was fucked by the 70th minute and was taking an age to track back.

Gav is hands down our player of the season so far and will probably be the League 1 player of the season but you want to see him dropped?

Hands down eh, pity Bobby Linn doesn't play for us, wait a minute

36 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

pongo is the most creative midfielder we have surely his passing and vision ability to see forward runs from our strikers makes up for his lack of pace ffs

Completely agree if you want someone to unlock a defence he'll do it, much rather see him on the pitch than warming the bench, he is a class act.

15 hours ago, Big lichtie said:

pongo is the most creative midfielder we have surely his passing and vision ability to see forward runs from our strikers makes up for his lack of pace ffs

100% agree and i am not saying Pongo should replace Gav in midfield who has been excellent this season but surely our most skillful/creative player at the club should be getting more game time, when Pongo has came on as a sub he has created chances or scored a goal.

2 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

100% agree and i am not saying Pongo should replace Gav in midfield who has been excellent this season but surely our most skillful/creative player at the club should be getting more game time, when Pongo has came on as a sub he has created chances or scored a goal.

Agree - as has previously been mentioned, why double sub the strikers if half the problem is the service they're getting? If we're struggling to create chances, don't blame the strikers and haul them off, get someone on who can create (which would always be a winger or a central midfielder). If we're struggling to create chances in a game Pongo is the best player by a mile to change that.

I personally don't see a starting place for Pongo - but any game we're struggling to score/ create in he should be the first person we go too to try and change that.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Just a few thoughts. Looking back on last week's game I find it hard to imagine that team in the Championship and felt the same after the home defeat to Raith.  Against fit, fully committed teams who are tactically aware we have looked very much second best. 

Winning promotion this season would be a great achievement for the club, going up as champions even better, right up there with the promotions to the old first division under the legendary Albert Henderson's management.

However, with the players we have, we probably wouldn't fare any better than Brechin did last season. Realistically we only have  a handful of players who are capable of playing at the higher intensity against mainly full time teams for the whole season. Are the players brought in during the transfer window championship material or brought in for the short term to try to help win promotion?

Nothing is guaranteed in football, but as the season has progressed it has become more than just wishful thinking that we could win promotion, or even the league title. Still a lot of football to be played, but like buying a lottery ticket, we can dream about winning. Hopefully the club is looking ahead and starting to think about what would be needed to establish us as a Championship side and hopefully we can continue with the good form we have shown in the league up to now. A good thrashing of Stranraer wouldn't go amiss next week.

13 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Just a few thoughts. Looking back on last week's game I find it hard to imagine that team in the Championship and felt the same after the home defeat to Raith.  Against fit, fully committed teams who are tactically aware we have looked very much second best. 

Winning promotion this season would be a great achievement for the club, going up as champions even better, right up there with the promotions to the old first division under the legendary Albert Henderson's management.

However, with the players we have, we probably wouldn't fare any better than Brechin did last season. Realistically we only have  a handful of players who are capable of playing at the higher intensity against mainly full time teams for the whole season. Are the players brought in during the transfer window championship material or brought in for the short term to try to help win promotion?

Nothing is guaranteed in football, but as the season has progressed it has become more than just wishful thinking that we could win promotion, or even the league title. Still a lot of football to be played, but like buying a lottery ticket, we can dream about winning. Hopefully the club is looking ahead and starting to think about what would be needed to establish us as a Championship side and hopefully we can continue with the good form we have shown in the league up to now. A good thrashing of Stranraer wouldn't go amiss next week.

You will be favourites to go down, but will do nowhere near as bad as Brechin. 

Brechin finished 4th and faced a dreadful John Hughes inspired clusterfuck in the semi of the playoffs. You will win this league by a country mile. 

I don't see why we couldn't do similar to Alloa. Be nowhere near as bad as Brechin IF we go up.

A left back, another winger and a central midfield partner for Swankie is all we'd need in my opinion. We'd be an extremely attractive place for the better loanees in the country to come, young guys that would get a shit load of game time in the Championship.

Alloa have done brilliantly well with Hastie and Zanatta, they've also just got Jack Aitchison who on paper is another great loanee. Sure they have a young CB on loan too.

The rest of their squad looks similar to us. One poor game against Raith where we shuffled the back 4 about and started a striker who wasn't fully fit hardly a fair gauge.

Interesting observations these last few. For myself, I would be really keen to try and win the league title and to hell with the future. Historically, we have seriously underachieved throughout our 139 year history so the two fourth tier titles in the past 6 years has been as much relief as delight. We were edged out to a third tier title by Cowden about 6 years back ?) when we were the better team. We’ve not done much in the cups.

That said, if we get sloppy and risk looking beyond the next game, it could start to unravel so the immediate game needs to command the entire attention of management and players. I still expect a close and perhaps nervous closing third of the season.

For a similar reason, I find it more than tedious at games when Lichtie supporters keep relaying scores from other games and their implications. Any more than a halftime or so update strikes me as a pointless distraction.