The Arbroath Thread

It seems to me now that the management need to work the players on unlocking stubborn defences.

We struggled for huge chunks of the game against Brechin & managed to sneak 3 points with McCords late header.

Stenny were just woeful with a goalie with no confidence which unnerved their defence & we were comfortable winners.

Forfar seemed to turn on the back of a buoyed performance in the cup, grab an early goal & put in a good performance with a solid back 4 , but also with McCallum also in inspired form.

The key to the title, for me, is the ability to pick up points against Raith. We still have a great cushion but Campbell needs to use all his managerial experience to keep the players focused & keep the points tally rolling to secure 1st place.

So your alternative suggestion for combatting the unnatural and nervy silence of the home crowd is.... what?

I’d rather it stays the way it is than be cringey as f**k. There’s not a single club in this league who has a decent home atmosphere and barely any in Scotland.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Do you think any of us actually care?

Slagged us for potentially being in the championship next season when you'll be nowhere near it

Slagged Raith for being rotten when Montrose are miles behind them

Slagged us for not beating Raith when we are 13 points clear at the top of the league and you're mid table in one of your best ever seasons in recent history

emoji23.png

To be fair, it's one of your best in recent history too.

It seems to me now that the management need to work the players on unlocking stubborn defences.
We struggled for huge chunks of the game against Brechin & managed to sneak 3 points with McCords late header.
Stenny were just woeful with a goalie with no confidence which unnerved their defence & we were comfortable winners.
Forfar seemed to turn on the back of a buoyed performance in the cup, grab an early goal & put in a good performance with a solid back 4 , but also with McCallum also in inspired form.
The key to the title, for me, is the ability to pick up points against Raith. We still have a great cushion but Campbell needs to use all his managerial experience to keep the players focused & keep the points tally rolling to secure 1st place.
One of the biggest problems we have is the over-reliance on Linn to create the chances for our strikers. So much of our play ends up going through Linn and other teams know how much of a danger he is.

Teams are now doubling up on him leaving him so little space to get through to put a cross in or shoot.

We dont have another winger that is anywhere near as good as Linn and the opposition know that.

Swankie is the only other creative player that plays. But tends to be in a crowded midfield so cant deliver as many balls forward as we would like.

Maybe its time to go back to the 4-2-3-1.

McKenna seems more suited to be behind the striker. His work rate would be a great asset in linking up play between the midfield and attackers. . And also McCord doesnt work in the middle of the park. He would fit nicely in behind the striker too. And Wallace tends to drop deeper during games he could slot in behind also if we play another striker up top.

Having a 3 combo of Linn/McKenna/McCord/Donnely/Wallace/Spence/Swankie just in behind the striker, it would be troubling for most defences. Doris can play upfront but if he is on the bench, any of the other 3 strikers can play up front.

With so many attacking options and limited defensive options, then 4-4-2 and long balls doesnt work. Now playing 4 players further forward and we can do more damage to stubborn defences.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

I’d rather it stays the way it is than be cringey as f**k. There’s not a single club in this league who has a decent home atmosphere and barely any in Scotland.

So we should be happy our atmosphere is shit because everyone else’s is too? 

We could actually be proactive in trying to create something. 

8 minutes ago, Mexico said:

Make sure everyone has a good drink in them that'll stir things up a bit.

29 minutes ago, Mexico said:

Agreed.  Anything is worth trying - horns, rattles, drums, brass.    Of course a bunch of supporters that were more vocal and maybe chanted and sung a little would be better than anything but since the Lichtie faithful is so genteel and reserved, except for choice abuse to players, that seems too maybe much to ask hence resort to technical aids.    No other team in Scotland has such a good record as ours so I feel there's a heavier obligation.     I wouldn;t object to the return of toilet rolls either in the interests of enhancing the spectacle but I suspect the miserable stewards would rule that out.

24 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

But clappers........

I hear you can get ones that imitate livestock if that makes it more comfortable for you

One of the biggest problems we have is the over-reliance on Linn to create the chances for our strikers. So much of our play ends up going through Linn and other teams know how much of a danger he is.

Teams are now doubling up on him leaving him so little space to get through to put a cross in or shoot.

We dont have another winger that is anywhere near as good as Linn and the opposition know that.

Swankie is the only other creative player that plays. But tends to be in a crowded midfield so cant deliver as many balls forward as we would like.

Maybe its time to go back to the 4-2-3-1.

McKenna seems more suited to be behind the striker. His work rate would be a great asset in linking up play between the midfield and attackers. . And also McCord doesnt work in the middle of the park. He would fit nicely in behind the striker too. And Wallace tends to drop deeper during games he could slot in behind also if we play another striker up top.

Having a 3 combo of Linn/McKenna/McCord/Donnely/Wallace/Spence/Swankie just in behind the striker, it would be troubling for most defences. Doris can play upfront but if he is on the bench, any of the other 3 strikers can play up front.

With so many attacking options and limited defensive options, then 4-4-2 and long balls doesnt work. Now playing 4 players further forward and we can do more damage to stubborn defences.
I agree we played our best football when we played 4-2-3-1, this formation allowed Wallace and McKenna to switch, which gave opposing defenders something different to look at

8 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Agreed.  Anything is worth trying - horns, rattles, drums, brass.    Of course a bunch of supporters that were more vocal and maybe chanted and sung a little would be better than anything but since the Lichtie faithful is so genteel and reserved, except for choice abuse to players, that seems too maybe much to ask hence resort to technical aids.    No other team in Scotland has such a good record as ours so I feel there's a heavier obligation.     I wouldn;t object to the return of toilet rolls either in the interests of enhancing the spectacle but I suspect the miserable stewards would rule that out.

I hear you can get ones that imitate livestock if that makes it more comfortable for you

This is really bugging you isn't it, do you sing or make a noise?

Well what is the solution?I don’t know anyone who would be willing to stand banging clappers together for 90 minutes to try and create some sort of ‘atmosphere’.

41 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Well what is the solution?I don’t know anyone who would be willing to stand banging clappers together for 90 minutes to try and create some sort of ‘atmosphere’.

I didn’t suggest I had a solution but people on here are happy to shoot anyone down for suggesting something could be improved. What happened to the “ultras” that turned up for about 5 games? 

I didn’t suggest I had a solution but people on here are happy to shoot anyone down for suggesting something could be improved. What happened to the “ultras” that turned up for about 5 games? 

They all hit puberty and started chasing fanny

This is really bugging you isn't it, do you sing or make a noise?

I think you’re missing the big picture. I myself am extremely vocal throughout the game and yes, i do sometimes feel a bit self conscious due to the silence of the lambs.

But the main issue is, how can the SUPPORT do a bit more to encourage the team during games. This is universally acknowledged as an important factor/influence on what happens on the pitch. In the 14 games remaining, this will become more critical than ever and could make a vital difference in a tight run-in. On Saturday, when it was needed, this seemed to be conspicuously lacking.

Do you agree the support can exert an influence (away but especially at home?). If so, why not play the ball rather than the man and maybe offer something by way of constructive suggestion on possible improvements.

Just to add, I think the taciturn support is a bit of a glaring missing link right now - especially on such a good run. The management and players are doing tremendously well, the Board is active and generating income, the fans are responding in terms of participation (hospitality, etc).

Honestly think having a vocal support has next to nothing to do with how we perform. That said, if we had gotten a rendition of maroon submarines going on Saturday we might’ve stopped shelling long balls to forfars centre halves and turned into Barcelona.