The Arbroath Thread

To be fair I was hearing from someone who knows somebody who has just joined the board and he was telling me he was very impressed with what they're wanting to do and how much they're willing to pay for players etc

Easy looking in from the outside

To be fair I was hearing from someone who knows somebody who has just joined the board and he was telling me he was very impressed with what they're wanting to do and how much they're willing to pay for players etc

Easy looking in from the outside

We just have to accept,Even though we have the biggest support out of our 3 Angus neighbours,Forfar pay a lot more wages than us,and pay players 52 weeks a year,we don t.Brechin also pay higher wages than us,and i think Brechin also train in Stirling which helps them attract players,we train in Perth and Dundee.Hopefully we can get 3 or 4 more players in,def need a goalscorer at this level,Grehan and Coult not out and out goalscorer.

Nicoll is a good player at this level, he showed that in his time at Clyde. However, at every level of the game you do not splash out money on sitting midfielders unless you are loaded. You sign goalscorers and dribblers, a good centre half and goalkeeper and then spend what's left on the rest of your team.

Nicoll is a good player at this level, he showed that in his time at Clyde. However, at every level of the game you do not splash out money on sitting midfielders unless you are loaded. You sign goalscorers and dribblers, a good centre half and goalkeeper and then spend what's left on the rest of your team.

Agreed. I'd have like to have seen him stay but Nicoll's popularity does not equate to his usefulness & supposed worth.

I can't believe we are criticising a board who run a club in a sound and prudent manner not risking the future of the club in any way yet every year there is an opportunity to put yourself forward for election to the board and nobody does it so all can say to the people who actually give up their valuable personal time to oversee a cause which is dear to them as it is all the loyal supporters is THANK YOU VERY MUCH KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Edited by Philip0402

Dont get me wrong, i do appreciate the job the board does to keep us going. But if we keep allowing our better players to leave to join other clubs due to our wage structure, then we will start to struggle in this league.

I know due to our location a number of players are not interested in joining us as the travelling and wage just isnt worth it when they can get payed the same or more by clubs closer to the central belt or by Forfar and Brechin. Baxter, Swankie, Hamilton etc have left the club over the years. McKenna chose to join Berwick rather than join us after verbally agreeing to sign for us. Why would that be? probably because its closer to home for him and better pay.

What im saying is the club should start to look to bring one or more people on board that may want to invest in the club, have new ideas to generate more income, try to offer wages that will tempt players. not drive them away.

It would seem a lot of our fans have inside knowledge of how much Forfar/ Brechin can pay players, and where they get their cash from. Who wants to actually put some facts on the table regarding this, or am I safe to assume all of these comments are heresay and none of the people making them actually know anything about either of these clubs finances?

Also, Arbroath have benfitted from good sponsorship deals in the recent past. Are we just to sweep this under the carpet? I saw an ex local journalist berating Forfar/ Brechin on twitter regarding 'benefactors' and saying how we'd never been so lucky etc. One would suspect that said journalist doesn't actually know anything about the inner workings of the finances at either club, or our own club for that matter.

What im saying is the club should start to look to bring one or more people on board that may want to invest in the club, have new ideas to generate more income, try to offer wages that will tempt players. not drive them away.

Think the problem we have is that the board is stagnant. We need members on the board that can either bring in fresh investment to the club, fresh ideas to generate more income, or both.

If clubs like Forfar, Brechin, Berwick, Albion, Stenhousemuir, Etc can constantly offer more wages for players, then we will be heading to the Highland League in the near future. We cant keep letting all our best players leave the club due to our lack of forward thinking. To busy treading water.

In the very recent past, the board did bring someone on board who, from what I hear, has some very positive ideas and I look forward to him having the opportunity to put his ideas into action over the coming months/ years. Hopefully his new, fresh ideas will also enable us to generate more income from our current avenues and open new doors also.

With regards to investment, if there aren’t any individuals who currently wish to invest in the club financially, for what would ultimately be little return (certainly zero return financially) then what can we do? Find folk who live in or near to Arbroath with a few quid/ hunt down lottery winners and demand they give us money, now, so we can have better football players at our club? If no-one is willing to invest in Arbroath FC there is not much anyone can do, board member or otherwise. However, if there was someone willing to invest money in the club, or had been in the past, and they were put off doing so by the current setup, then serious questions would have to be asked.

It could be argued that if we piss away a pile of non-existent cash, then our chances of being down the bottom of this division are far higher. Do you know what the clubs overdraft facility is/ amounts, conditions etc? I expect your answer would be the same as mine, and I’ve absolutely no idea. So how can we comment on spending money that doesn’t exist, when it may be that if we don’t bring in instant income we could end up with a debt that puts us in serious, serious trouble. What do a club like Arbroath FC secure debt against in that situation? I’m also absolutely amazed that you think Berwick can offer better wages than us?! I think the chances of that being the case are very, very, VERY low.

On the flip side to this, questions quite rightly need to be asked when consistently our better players leave the club for fairly poor reasons, year after year, to join our rivals or teams of similar size to ourselves.

Players come and go every season at all levels in Scottish football only the top teams offer contracts in excess of 2 years to protect their investments the key is to be patient and the right type will come along its a well known fact that there are far more players than contracts so no club should ever be either held to ransom or break their wage structure to accommodate one or two players who might only be with you for one season that would ludicrous and sometimes you have to accept that (outwith someone getting lucky and there best supporter wins the euro millions and invests in the club) we actually have our level as determined by support and location so if we have a good season and unearth some gems and win promotion that's great but if not we dust ourselves down and have another go next season it's the life of supporting a small team like ours most people love it the rest get on train to Aberdeen /Dundee or Glasgow every Saturday that's their choice.

Edited by Philip0402

Players come and go every season at all levels in Scottish football only the top teams offer contracts in excess of 2 years to protect their investments the key is to be patient and the right type will come along its a well known fact that there are far more players than contracts so no club should ever be either held to ransom or break their wage structure to accommodate one or two players who might only be with you for one season that would ludicrous and sometimes you have to accept that (outwith someone getting lucky and there best supporter wins the euro millions and invests in the club) we actually have our level as determined by support and location so if we have a good season and unearth some gems and win promotion that's great but if not we dust ourselves down and have another go next season it's the life of supporting a small team like ours most people love it the rest get on train to Aberdeen /Dundee or Glasgow every Saturday that's their choice.

Very well put. We have to remember that our players are professional footballers who owe the Club no loyalty beyond their contract. They move regularly to get a good deal or an easier commute, or just for a change of company. Our club has no major benefactor and the Board are fans like us. They do their best within a limited budget.

Most of us would dream of playing for our home town club, but never get the chance, so we imagine all our players feel that way. Maybe this season we will turn up another star and win the league.

Arbroath pay roughly the same wages as Forfar , in fact Arbroath paid a higher win bonus a couple of season ago compared to Forfar , as for all Forfar players getting paid over the summer , what a lot of rubbish , 1 player only gets paid over the summer (swankie ) ,

Their is not a lot a board can do to stop a player leaving in most cases to be nearer their family's , travelling time etc

I could see and understand a player leaving to double his wages , but that's certainly not the case moving from Arbroath to Forfar

Photo of Simon Murray celebrating goal at gayfield won Colours of our Scarves passion competition. Who is going to have the passion this season!

Photo of SimonLichtie celebrating goal at gayfield won Colours of our Scarves passion competition. He is going to have the passion this season!

;) ;)

Photo of Simon Murray celebrating goal at gayfield won Colours of our Scarves passion competition. Who is going to have the passion this season!

Photo of SimonLichtie celebrating goal at gayfield won Colours of our Scarves passion competition. He is going to have the passion this season!

Photo by Smokie_Bacon_Crisps capturing Simon Murray celebrating goal at gayfield and SimonLichtie acting like a superfan won Colours of our Scarves passion competition. He is going to have a new lens this season!

Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps