The Arbroath Thread

How do you know about these signings?

Heard same from other people but suppose we'll just have to wait and see

Dunno the thinking behind the club not giving any updates on the playing squad but once again MAYBE we'll hear more this week after all games are completed and the season is officially over

You know that for a fact:rolleyes: or did Forfar just offer him more money than he had been on just like Arbroath are now, thats the way most ( not all ) players work its about the money

You know these things for a fact?
Seems to me there is lots of guesswork on the go. And hasn't Brechin's excellent recruitment of the past at times been put down not to money but to them being a good employer?

You know that for a fact:rolleyes: or did Forfar just offer him more money than he had been on just like Arbroath are now, thats the way most ( not all ) players work its about the money

Yes.

I read an interview with him. He was away to sign for you lads actually after he left Livingston he had both offers on the table and DC phoned him at the last minute and made him change his mind.

http://www.forfarathletic.co.uk/index.php?view=items&cid=7%3Alatest-news&id=2490%3Adanny-denholm-interview-&pop=1&tmpl=component&print=1&option=com_flexicontent&Itemid=27

IMG_1495966021.637619.jpg

IMG_1495966029.856710.jpg

Danny loves Dick.

8 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

You know these things for a fact?
Seems to me there is lots of guesswork on the go. And hasn't Brechin's excellent recruitment of the past at times been put down not to money but to them being a good employer?

I base what I say having been involved in the past with players at this level and as I said with most players ( not all ) it comes down to the money on the table

I base what I say having been involved in the past with players at this level and as I said with most players ( not all ) it comes down to the money on the table

Money, plus how much they think they'll enjoy it, how many people they get on with, logistics of training, location of it and getting to it, and if its FT/PT if there able to give up the job, how well they think the team will do, the ground they will be playing at...

Loads more to it than just £££ although that's obviously a factor too.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Money, plus how much they think they'll enjoy it, how many people they get on with, logistics of training, location of it and getting to it, and if its FT/PT if there able to give up the job, how well they think the team will do, the ground they will be playing at...

Loads more to it than just £££ although that's obviously a factor too.

I can guarantee you that DC is not at Arbroath without having satisfied himself that he has the money available to go out and get the players he needs to produce a good side, he is a great guy and a pretty good manager but he knows the score.

I can guarantee you that DC is not at Arbroath without having satisfied himself that he has the money available to go out and get the players he needs to produce a good side, he is a great guy and a pretty good manager but he knows the score.

Imagine that's the case with almost every manager and even worker in the world to be fair.

Sure Darren Dods would've been exactly the same.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Imagine that's the case with almost every manager and even worker in the world to be fair.

Sure Darren Dods would've been exactly the same.

Darren Dods completely different for two reasons Brechin do not have the cash for example to compete against Arbroath & he is a new manager looking for a chance to prove himself at a decent wee club with a great record over recent times. But you are right that more experienced managers know the script about money  and will not go to clubs unless they have the funds available to " persuade" players to join them to produce a good side.

Darren Dods completely different for two reasons Brechin do not have the cash for example to compete against Arbroath & he is a new manager looking for a chance to prove himself at a decent wee club with a great record over recent times. But you are right that more experienced managers know the script about money  and will not go to clubs unless they have the funds available to " persuade" players to join them to produce a good side.

Come on now. Clearly Brechin do have cash, they've had decent teams and some excellent teams for years now. You can't delude yourself and say otherwise surely? You've just been promoted to the Championship. A level well above your station.

If it was his first job and he felt like he didn't have the resources available to him to make a success of it it could've been his first and last!!

By the same token you'd imagine a big part of DC taking our job was to get one over Forfar.... but at the end of the day like you say he wouldn't have taken it if he didn't think he'd be able to make a success of it.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Come on now. Clearly Brechin do have cash, they've had decent teams and some excellent teams for years now. You can't delude yourself and say otherwise surely? You've just been promoted to the Championship. A level well above your station.

If it was his first job and he felt like he didn't have the resources available to him to make a success of it it could've been his first and last!!

By the same token you'd imagine a big part of DC taking our job was to get one over Forfar.... but at the end of the day like you say he wouldn't have taken it if he didn't think he'd be able to make a success of it.

We are talking about now, but I  would almost guarantee you that Darren Dods had nothing like the budget available to him that DC had hence we had a very small pool of players last season and why when we were down to bare bones due to injuries we could not bring in any players. We got unexpected promotion from a league that was in the main not of a great standard and now we will have try and get some funds together to try and sign players who can at least help us compete at this level. This will I think may be funded by higher home gates and higher end of season monies even if we get relegated ( which we wont ;) ) hopefully our past benefactor will stick his hand in his pooch again and help oot a bit :whistle I woulds say that Brechin's committee deserve a lot of praise for keeping Brechin punching above their weight season after season and at the same time keeping good care of the finances and I am sure they will give the manager as much funds as they can muster.

You seem to be able to absolutely guarantee a lot of things without actually knowing anything. Everything you said there is applicable to most PT clubs...

Now off you pop, you've got a championship season to be worrying about. ;)