The Arbroath Thread

Some difficult decisions for Dick in the coming weeks regarding who stays goes (well, I say the coming weeks, I suspect most if not all have been decided).
Who would everyone like to stay? I think it's quite hard to say with certain players, as there are some I'd want us to keep but on reduced terms considering their involvement over the season. For example, I like Jimmy Scott as a player and would like us to keep him, but I suspect he'd cost us more to keep than someone like Omar who I'm happy to keep as a squad player. Therefore, depending on the finances, it may be that I'd be happier to keep Omar than Jimmy, despite preferring Jimmy as a player, simply because we need to keep enough in the budget past this month to add other quality players who will come at a cost.
In terms of potential regular starters, I'd be happy to keep:
Ricky Gomes
David Gold
Ricky Little
Colin Hamilton
Mark Whatley
Ryan McCord
Bobby Linn
Stevie Doris
Jimmy Scott (if he can get fully fit and have a good pre season I think there is a lot of potential there as I think there is a quality player in him)

On top of those 9, I would also keep Omar as I think he is an excellent option to have off the bench, and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Prunts, Hodge or Malin as backup as long as they were on modest wages to reflect their squad status.
I feel one of our problems may be that out of the 9 mentioned I expect 7/8 of them are the top end earners, which wouldn't leave us a huge amount in the budget to add additional quality around them. I think if we could add a quality CB/ LB (depending on what is done with Hammy positionally), another quality winger and a quality striker and get some other good cover/ squad players we could be looking at making a real push for the top 4. If we added more than that, we could be looking to make an impact right up the top of the division.

Agree with all this. It's tough because of how well we've done but I'd be looking at.

Gomes (if he doesn't need to go)

Gold
Little
New centre half
Hammy

New winger
McCord
Whatley
Linn

Doris
New striker

Jimmy (cover/starting depending on form and wage he takes up)
Prunty (as above)
Hodge (great squad player LB/CM cover)
Omar (good squad player/option)

That's 12 players there. Be sad to see Kane go but he needs football and Malin hasn't played too much this year. Ferns was a stop gap. Skelly and Smyth away back to Dundee. McCallum away back to Dumbarton and Sukar away to United.

I'm dreaming of a ToB/Denholm and Hilson trio to come in, 1 or 2 squad fillers and then loans to complete the squad.

Who knows but expect things to start kicking off again.

Will bask in the glory for just now though. ;)

So good not having to worry about play offs.

Agree with whats said in regard to who to keep

Musts: gold, little, hammy, linn, mccord, whatley, doris

Most of the rest i wouldnt be too fussed, some decent players, only ones who i can think will def be released is ferns and thompson

I think we now need to accept Hammy and Little as a centre-back pairing and focus on getting a left-back in.
A holding midfielder to fit in with Whatley/McCord and a left-footed winger/forward.
Those 3 and a goalkeeper would be priority for me.

Maybe that's the thinking with the ToB rumours then? Be great that he could come in and play there and if needed play centre half too if we go 4-4-2.

Certainly wouldn't want to break Hammy and Little up but Hammy is an excellent LB too so always an option.

That's if these guys even stay, to be honest good feeling that they will. Everyone seems happy.

39 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

I think we now need to accept Hammy and Little as a centre-back pairing and focus on getting a left-back in.

A holding midfielder to fit in with Whatley/McCord and a left-footed winger/forward.

Those 3 and a goalkeeper would be priority for me.

Totally agree regarding a holding midfielder to fit in with Whatley/ McCord. I really hope we go into the new season looking to go with the 4-3-2-1/ 4-3-1-2 that has worked so well for us at points this season, as it allows Pongo to dictate the game. Obviously we need to have a Plan B also, which would be the 4-4-2 and therefore we'd need to have 3 wingers on our books who can also play behind the striker.

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I'd Dundee would allow it we should try and get Smyth back for the season.

100% agree with this. He has been excellent in the last quarter of the season.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's if these guys even stay, to be honest good feeling that they will. Everyone seems happy.

Likewise. With us just winning the league, the feel good factor and the fact we're surely able to match the teams who should be around us (Stranraer, East Fife, Albion etc.) financially I think we'll keep everyone we want, outside of Ricky Gomes if he is indeed leaving/ moving elsewhere.

Would agree with most about what we need and who we keep, the formation we finished the season suits us as well, it allows McCord to get forward and Smyth gave extra defensive cover, if also allows Linn more freedom, asking Linn to track back all the time is wasting him, 

If Gomes is away I would defo look at Smyth, would also love ToB,  all ifs and buts, on other hand there will be a fight on the hand keeping hold of Hammy, McCord, think they 2 could attract loads of interest, while feel confident Linn Little and Doris will sign no problems 

I'd quite like to see a new winger and striker to be honest, not against the 4-3-3 think it's been good but only reason I think the 4-4-2 never worked is because Doris never had a partner that suited him with a bit of pace and Omar was just workman like. Skelly obviously injured too often too so we were short on the right compared to Linn on the left.

Can anyone confirm who is already signed for next season? There will be other teams sniffing around our players and money can talk. The team spirit / unity looks like it has played a major part in us winning the league so important to keep as much of them together as possible. The three loan players will return and I think Ferns and maybe Malin would move on. I hope we keep the rest including Hodge and Kader.

Confident of McCord staying, suits him being a Dundee lad plus he's loved by fans. Hamilton, he's been away and came back, probably past the point of going FT now and he's settle. Little, after 4 years not sure why he'd move now unless the travelling is too much, but big favourite obviously and seems to enjoy it at the club. Linn, signed already I'm sure but don't need to say anything, loves Arbroath, the fans and loves Campbell. Whatley, Dundee lad, captain, already spoke about how much he's enjoying his football. Doris, don't need to say anything about him, loves it here and on his way to being a real legend breaking records, even though he already is. Gold, can't see him moving on.

They're the main guys I would say and the spine of our team. As a PT club I imagine we can match most.

Suppose we will find out in coming weeks.

See that Andy Webster and Ben Gordon have been released from St.Mirren. Might be a big ask but surely Dick Campbell might be able to persuade Webster to come back home and strengthen the defence even further for a chance of getting in the play offs or winning the title next season as per his words.

See that Andy Webster and Ben Gordon have been released from St.Mirren. Might be a big ask but surely Dick Campbell might be able to persuade Webster to come back home and strengthen the defence even further for a chance of getting in the play offs or winning the title next season as per his words.

Webster sounds like he's maybe done.

4 minutes ago, superlichtie87 said:

Webster's top speed is about equal to a 3 legged tortoise now so I think he's done even at League 1 level. Gordon would be a good signing for yous but more likely he'll go back to Alloa.