The Arbroath Thread

How can they be voted off if only a select few allowed into AGM everything I've heard recently doesn't look very good for our club.

Shareholders are admitted to the AGM. If I understood the secretary correctly then a minimum investment of £100 will buy someone the shares that will permit them to attend.

A family friend has shares but says it is unclear how to get onto board, even if you wanted to. At least one person (friend of the board) was co-opted onto the board last spring. Perhaps a couple of open meetings a year would be more transparent?

Edited by tomato soup

I am a shareholder and I believe you need to be a shareholder , be proposed and seconded by other shareholders then have your name put forward at the AGM which will then be put to a vote of members against the existing member(s) who is/are seeking re-election. Since the inception of the new company I cannot recall any challenge to the existing members at all. The board can co-opt person or persons as the previous poster alluded to above.

I am a shareholder and I believe you need to be a shareholder , be proposed and seconded by other shareholders then have your name put forward at the AGM which will then be put to a vote of members against the existing member(s) who is/are seeking re-election. Since the inception of the new company I cannot recall any challenge to the existing members at all. The board can co-opt person or persons as the previous poster alluded to above.

So would it feasible for the fans to put together a small fund to buy shares in order to get a supporters representitive onto the board. Get more insight into whats going on in the boardroom.

I'm a shareholder (quite a few in fact) but have never been around for the AGMs - too far up the road so am mindful I'm neglecting my duties and perhaps not exerting sufficient scrutiny and involvement. Still, if £100 is the threshold to become a shareholder, then while not to be sneezed at, this amount could be manageable by most fans if they plan and prioritize it (give up the drink for a fortnight he suggested patronizingly) and you can then participate in, and own, the club

Arbroath seems to be a tightly run and the board deserve some credit for keeping things financially on an even keel despite the many pressures. As for indulging players, well I assume there are critical financial considerations here so I would not always swallow the players' version of any dealings. And of course, it's just a cheap and easy shot to slag off any Board who are after all, volunteers for what is self-evidently a thankless task, but then most volunteering is.

Financial safety first is laudable but maybe we'd benefit from a bit more dynamism and innovation from the board - new income streams, etc. A number of other clubs do better in areas such as local lotteries etc.

AFC have next to no influence in the local community, an open day once a year but absolutely NOTHING to get new fans (especially younger) through the gates. Considering we scrapped the youth teams you'd think maybe a wee partnership with Lads Club etc might be started, so some of the more promising older players could perhaps join training for a week or so, to see what they can offer.

I remember they used to do a voucher scheme at the schools in the mid 90's which I thought was a good idea, they should consider doing this again to get the local kids involved in their local club. I would also lower the price of the hospitality as I think it's far too high at the moment, they should also ditch the company that runs these events as I'm sure they will take a percentage of the takings.. I would look to see the local businesses for sponsor boards, just look at the cricket club they have loads of different businesses willing to buy space for board..

5 players released Jack Smith,David Crawford,Kevin Buchan,Paul McManus,Johnny Lindsay. 6 players offered new deals Ricky Little,Jordan Lowden,Craig Johnstone,Kevin Nicol,Kieran Stewart and Scott McBride

from those who've signed and been offered we're looking at:

new GK

new RB or Whatley at RB

Little

New CB or nicoll

Johnstone(been told he's leaving tho)

Linn

Whatley

Stewart/Hunter/nicoll

McBride/Lowdon

New ST

New ST