The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

We’ve already been humiliated at home by Dunfermline in the challenge cup this season, ok it’s a diddy tournament but no one wants to lose 1-5 in any game.

Any team that has pace and scores goals… i.e. all of the playoff contenders in L1 are likely to have a field day against us.

Cross your fingers, this weekend could be huge for you…Morton take on Cove, while you get a confused Partick, you could be within a point of Cove by Saturday dinner. Add Accies vs Queen’s, and you could also be back in ninth, and see ICT stand still in front of you against Dundee.

21 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

The new signings need to step up their game, our long term players can’t pull us out of this mess on their own.

Plenty of people on here spent the first half of the season slaughtering the players.  Well we got better players (and I do believe they are better players) in.  It isnt the players.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Cross your fingers, this weekend could be huge for you…Morton take on Cove, while you get a confused Partick, you could be within a point of Cove by Saturday dinner. Add Accies vs Queen’s, and you could also be back in ninth, and see ICT stand still in front of you against Dundee.

Was thinking the same mate, Queens Park & Morton are absolutely flying at the moment and the leagues form teams so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cove & Hamilton both lose this weekend so we really need to do our part, Partick & Inverness are in free fall it seems so it could end up being an amazing weekend for us  and completely change the mood 🇱🇻🔥⚽

4 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Was thinking the same mate, Queens Park & Morton are absolutely flying at the moment and the leagues form teams so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cove & Hamilton both lose this weekend so we really need to do our part, Partick & Inverness are in free fall it seems so it could end up being an amazing weekend for us  and completely change the mood 🇱🇻🔥⚽

Accies are the form team more than Queens Park if you look at results since mid January.

Fwiw,we look to have a few injuries after tonight and if Dylan McGowan,Tumilty and Scott Martin are injured we will struggle as we already have De Bolle and Tom Sparrow out injured.

Conversely,we keep our run up and we could be well clear in three weeks.

Too soon for Arbroath fans to write their team off as many seem to be doing.

1 minute ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Hamilton are by far the form team in the league with 4 wins and a draw in the last 5 games for 13 points. In comparison QP have 5 points (the same as us and Cove) and Morton 7 points, wouldn’t say either of them are flying at the moment. Yes ICT are on a bad run but don’t think we’re catching them.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Hamilton are by far the form team in the league with 4 wins and a draw in the last 5 games for 13 points. In comparison QP have 5 points (the same as us and Cove) and Morton 7 points, wouldn’t say either of them are flying at the moment. Yes ICT are on a bad run but don’t think we’re catching them.

All true, but regression to the mean is a thing, and things change. On the other note, 38 points is generally enough to secure 8th place, so there’s always a chance, and it has taken as much as 43 points.

On 19/02/2023 at 20:49, RedLichtie86 said:

Coupled with the fact he clearly has had favourite players (usually from his Forfar days) over the years that can do no wrong (Swankie, Hilson, Donnelly) yet he will seek out another player to blame for a poor result (Linn, Hester, Whatley) 

Dont expect anything to change over the next few games. Dick is set in his ways.

Could be argued that with his favourite players we  were never sat bottom of the league

Sure there is a fall guy, and id argue that Hilson and Donnelly were those guys last season, just like you have mentioned ( in excluding Linn as hes still here ) Hester and Whatley have been made to be those guys in previous seasons.

Either way we were not sat at bottom of the table with the fall guys, favourite players.

8 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

If both Cove and Hamilton win 4 of their remaining 11 games I can't see us catching them.

We are hanging by a thread - waiting the drop.

A win on Saturday will give everyone a lift - there is no room for error.

What a pleasant surprise to see that you have finally stopped trying to suck off the club and seen Some sense. 

I think Cove are a poor team, we have missed a trick not beating them at home with the late equaliser and at the weekend when we should've been more adventurous in the first half, thankfully we have to play them again. Unless we find some consistent form from somewhere and find it within ourselves to somehow win 2 or 3 on the bounce then I fear Hamilton will pull away and we are left to fight it out with Cove for 9th. I do feel we are better than Cove though.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

I think Cove are a poor team, we have missed a trick not beating them at home with the late equaliser and at the weekend when we should've been more adventurous in the first half, thankfully we have to play them again. Unless we find some consistent form from somewhere and find it within ourselves to somehow win 2 or 3 on the bounce then I fear Hamilton will pull away and we are left to fight it out with Cove for 9th. I do feel we are better than Cove though.

If we were better than Cove then we would be above them in the league, it’s that simple. They also have a better record than us in our head-to-heads. I’ve seen nothing in the 3 games v them to suggest we’re better than them - 2 very poor teams.