The Arbroath Thread

34 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Okay, I stand corrected.

Think we will need to win a minimum of 6 of these games.

Our midfield needs to improve and we need strikers shooting at goals - otherwise it's curtains.

Its curtains.  I don't see any hope.  The bad run of form has just been too long and confidence is just too fragile.  A confident team scores 3 in the first half and sees the game out.  I didnt even think we looked that bad at the weekend.  Just not quite there.  

I don't think there is really much Dick can do now, I don't think any manager on a run like this can really turn it around mid season.  Ultimately, I think he's brought a lot of these signings in to bed them in for next season, and he'll be hoping for a summer reset.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its curtains.  I don't see any hope.  The bad run of form has just been too long and confidence is just too fragile.  A confident team scores 3 in the first half and sees the game out.  I didnt even think we looked that bad at the weekend.  Just not quite there.  

I don't think there is really much Dick can do now, I don't think any manager on a run like this can really turn it around mid season.  Ultimately, I think he's brought a lot of these signings in to bed them in for next season, and he'll be hoping for a summer reset.

The likes of Adarkwa and the new lad won’t be here next season. They will ultimately be looking for full time football which is something we can’t offer unfortunately. 

Im willing to give it until the C.Rangers game before giving up all hope of survival. With covid-19 back on the rise we may get lucky and our opponents may be affected and have to field weakened sides 

40 minutes ago, keptie said:

Hope the players and management don't have the mindset of some of our support whom appear to have given up with 36 points to play for otherwise we are totally stuffed.

Many would argue that it’s the players and management’s mindset all season that has us in the position we’re in in the first place.

Our fans have been incredible this season - buying record numbers of season tickets, pouring money into the club through kit and merchandise sales, hospitality, bricks etc, and turning out in large numbers every game with very little open hostility or vitriol towards the players or management. The patience has been pretty amazing really and I can’t imagine many/any other managers and teams getting so much good will and continued support considering how abject it’s been since the very first game of the season.

A few of us on here voicing our, very valid, concerns is not giving up, it’s being realistic. Do we have to wait until it’s mathematically impossible to stay up before we’re allowed to say anything?

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Many would argue that it’s the players and management’s mindset all season that has us in the position we’re in in the first place.

Our fans have been incredible this season - buying record numbers of season tickets, pouring money into the club through kit and merchandise sales, hospitality, bricks etc, and turning out in large numbers every game with very little open hostility or vitriol towards the players or management. The patience has been pretty amazing really and I can’t imagine many/any other managers and teams getting so much good will and continued support considering how abject it’s been since the very first game of the season.

A few of us on here voicing our, very valid, concerns is not giving up, it’s being realistic. Do we have to wait until it’s mathematically impossible to stay up before we’re allowed to say anything?

Not allowed to say anything? well it hasn't stopped you all season. We aren't bottom of the league we have 36 points to play for, we are far away from being mathematically down and i prefer to look on the positive side of things and i also realise that not every season is gonna be a bed of roses (realistic).

22 minutes ago, keptie said:

Not allowed to say anything? well it hasn't stopped you all season. We aren't bottom of the league we have 36 points to play for, we are far away from being mathematically down and i prefer to look on the positive side of things and i also realise that not every season is gonna be a bed of roses (realistic).

Yes I have been voicing my concerns all season and that is every supporters right. I will admit to being perhaps a little overly critical at times but only because I’m desperate for things to be better, as we all are.

Like you, I have been a fan for longer than most on here so I certainly don’t need reminding that every season isn’t going to be brilliant. However the issues and deficiencies have been so apparent from day one and the management should have been able to sort it long before now.

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yes I have been voicing my concerns all season and that is every supporters right. I will admit to being perhaps a little overly critical at times but only because I’m desperate for things to be better, as we all are.

Like you, I have been a fan for longer than most on here so I certainly don’t need reminding that every season isn’t going to be brilliant. However the issues and deficiencies have been so apparent from day one and the management should have been able to sort it long before now.

At the end of the day we may bicker but we are all Arbroath supporters and lets just hope this season ends on a good note.

1 hour ago, keptie said:

Hope the players and management don't have the mindset of some of our support whom appear to have given up with 36 points to play for otherwise we are totally stuffed.

Do you seriously think that we will take 3 points off Partick Thistle,  ICT, Queens Park or even Cove Rangers or Raith Rovers in the games we have to play? Have you not been to games? Have you not seen how we cannot manage games where we have been in a winning position?

We have been unable to string two results together all season and I find it hard to believe that we will suddenly go on a winning run. I have tried to be positive but the manager's f**k ups since the end of last season have brought us to the verge of relegation and if we go down he should be asked to walk away. What he has done in the past is irrelevant to the here and now.

If he can find a way to avoid relegation it will be quite a trick but I fear that when he looks in the hat the rabbit will be long gone.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

5 minutes ago, keptie said:

Well we've beat Dundee, beat Morton lately so why not?

And followed both games with disappointing performances. 

I actually felt confident going into the Raith game and thought we were going to get a win. Silly me 

We’ve been favourites for relegation for most of our time in the Championship and somehow dodged the bullet. The Board have pushed the boat out in January with some good signings. Every team in this league is beatable and we surely have the players capable of putting in a winning run. Saturday was disappointing but considering the conditions and the new mix of players it was hardly a disaster as some people seem to consider it. Mon the Lichties.

Absolutely no one, not even the best football critics know how the season is going to end - it's all speculation and guesswork.

The facts are, Arbroath have 12 games left - meaning there are 36 points to play for.

Hamilton have a game in hand and will be level with Arbroath if they win that game.

Cove are 4 points clear of Arbroath and will be 7 clear if they win their game in hand.

However, Arbroath's destination of avoiding automatic relegation is still in their own hands - win more games than Hamilton and we won't finish last.

If we beat Cove next weekend and they lose their game in hand they will only be 1 point clear of Arbroath.

It's still all to play for -with no match this week the squad can regroup, gel in the new players and get ready for the matches ahead.

I predict that this could go to the wire - Arbroath's destination of avoiding relegation is still very much in their own hands.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

There is also play offs if we finish second bottom. I don't see Falkirk, Airdire, Edinburgh being favourites to beating us over two legs.

Mmm not sure about that. I would say we’re probably a mid table L1 side standard wise. All those teams are prolific, scoring almost 2 goals per game each.

Add in the psychological thing and our, quite frankly, atrocious playoff record and I wouldn’t bet on us at all.

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Mmm not sure about that. I would say we’re probably a mid table L1 side standard wise. All those teams are prolific, scoring almost 2 goals per game each.

Add in the psychological thing and our, quite frankly, atrocious playoff record and I wouldn’t bet on us at all.

Dont think so, League 1 looks very poor, we would be up there challenging with our current team. Pre January squad would maybe have been mid table.