The Arbroath Thread

In terms of balance it looks like 2 keepers, 3 out and out defenders but cover with Gold, Stewart and Bitsindou so 6 options. 

7 midfielders

3 strikers in Toyosi, Hilson and Adwarke with options of McKenna, Linn and El Mahanni playing In forward areas. 

struggling to see how that’s a disjointed or small squad. I do however think we maybe need more quality to guarantee getting 8th, but we surely can’t be carrying a squad of over 22/23 players. 

57 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Cove looked absolute murder. 

15 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye they were atrocious. Can really see yourselves (and maybe even Hamilton) being able to catch them.

Cove are absolutely stinking 💩 and Hartley is such a fraud of a manager, I can see them getting relegated easy after watching that tonight with us and Hamilton slugging it out for 8th with us comfortably edging in the end thanks too a brilliant January Market and key players returning from injury and suspension.  🇱🇻⚽🔥💪

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

We need a Right back

What about playing Goldie there with Stewart being able to play further forward where he is much more dangerous in an attacking sense with his drive and energy and Heatherington can slot into the middle of the park where Gold was playing? 🇱🇻🔥⚽💪

40 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

In terms of balance it looks like 2 keepers, 3 out and out defenders but cover with Gold, Stewart and Bitsindou so 6 options. 

7 midfielders

3 strikers in Toyosi, Hilson and Adwarke with options of McKenna, Linn and El Mahanni playing In forward areas. 

struggling to see how that’s a disjointed or small squad. I do however think we maybe need more quality to guarantee getting 8th, but we surely can’t be carrying a squad of over 22/23 players. 

I think it’s very risky only having 3 dedicated defenders in the squad. Yes, Stewart is a decent right back and could be very good there in time. However I think, at the moment, his best position is right midfield.

It would only take a couple of injuries/suspensions/illness for our defensive situation to be seriously exposed. Not inconceivable later in a season when yellow cards start to rack up and the stresses of playing week-in-week-out can take its toll physically.

Imagine for example that TOB gets suspended and Little is injured at the same time - a back 4 of Stewart, Bitsindou, Hammy and Gold with absolutely no defensive cover on the pitch or bench… against for example QP or Ayr!!

Edited by Tattie36

13 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I think it’s very risky only having 3 dedicated defenders in the squad. Yes, Stewart is a decent right back and could be very good there in time. However I think, at the moment, his best position is right midfield.

It would only take a couple of injuries/suspensions/illness for our defensive situation to be seriously exposed. Not inconceivable later in a season when yellow cards start to rack up and the stresses of playing week-in-week-out can take its toll physically.

Imagine for example that TOB gets suspended and Little is injured at the same time - a back 4 of Stewart, Bitsindou, Hammy and Gold with absolutely no defensive cover on the pitch or bench… against for example QP or Ayr!!

A right back would help for sure. Im not sure there are many available better than gold or Stewart, losing Oakley was unfortunate 

Found it rather depressing on here recently so stayed off. Think it’s incredibly obvious we are in a much better position than we were December 31st with all the players away and the players we’ve got in. 

4 games, 2 wins unlucky not to be 3, a draw and a defeat. 7 points 9 goals 

Guys like El Mhanni and Bobby not even off the bench today. There’s reasons to be hopeful and hopefully that’s have the players a real boost too 

Cove 100 percent not winning away to QP so if we could do the business and go 2 ahead of them before we play them on the 18th it would be massive. 

19 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

We have practically ran like this for the last few seasons. Relied on versatile players who can do a job wherever needed on the pitch. Wouldn't expect a change in that strategy. 

35 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Found it rather depressing on here recently so stayed off. Think it’s incredibly obvious we are in a much better position than we were December 31st with all the players away and the players we’ve got in. 

4 games, 2 wins unlucky not to be 3, a draw and a defeat. 7 points 9 goals 

Guys like El Mhanni and Bobby not even off the bench today. There’s reasons to be hopeful and hopefully that’s have the players a real boost too 

Cove 100 percent not winning away to QP so if we could do the business and go 2 ahead of them before we play them on the 18th it would be massive. 

We got Thistle next weekend but your sentiment stands. Unless we can use our last 3 remaining loans to strengthen and get some solidarity we're drowning I feel. 

Going into the window I said as long as we keep our loans we'd be in a decent position. Lost them all.

Our fixtures make grim reading 

Thistle (A)

Arbroath (H)

Morton (A)

Dundee (H)

QP (A)

Raith (A)

Ayr (A)

5 of the next 7 are away and the last 4 look particularly difficult given where we are right now. We somehow need to gather points in the 3 and even then you could be above us given our next 4

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

We have practically ran like this for the last few seasons. Relied on versatile players who can do a job wherever needed on the pitch. Wouldn't expect a change in that strategy. 

Yes but we have never in all my years watching, not had a full complement of dedicated defenders. Stewart is a midfielder, as is Gold and Bitsindou. Get a right back in and have those 3 as cover as and when required.

Having said that, I don’t expect it to happen and we just have to pray that we don’t pick up too many injuries and suspensions at the back.