The Arbroath Thread

Honestly all I want are players who have a wee bit about them nothing much. I really liked Hoti performance on Saturday, again he’s someone that if you’ve played 10 times for United in the Premiership the chances of not being up to the level in this league is pretty low at worst you’ll be slightly below average.

Same goes for Tait (although his performances have been pretty poor prior to his injury) Bitsindou and Hancock. All of them have come from good clubs where they were on the fringes. Before Oakley signed I thought it was wild we were signing someone who has played and scored in Birmingham’s first team, he’s been excellent and never really expected anything else considering where he’d been. I am praying he stays 

This league is full of guys like that. Unfortunately we never signed anyone like that in a forward or wide role, we’ve taken real long shots when filling they positions up and it’s shown. I think Fosu is by far the best of the 4 (including Shanks, Isiaka and Corfe in that) and I think we should keep him on if he wants to stay. 

All I want is the squad bulked up with guys who can play in this league. If we can somehow pull a rabbit out the hat like we have done in previous years then great but overall we just need some solid options in. 

Right now we have a brilliant keeper. A really good back 4. Some very good options centre / attacking mid and then after that Bobby, Scotty Stewart, Fosu and Hilson. 

15 hours ago, superlichtie87 said:

I'd like to see us spend money on a proven player rather than hope for a young loan player to work. Lots of clubs will be going for strikers so it will be a tough transfer window again but fingers crossed Dick and the team get the players they want.

Any suggestions on who the proven player would be?

19 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Any suggestions on who the proven player would be?

I'm led to believe your looking at players in the Lower league of England, same  sort as a few you already have Isiaka and Fosu.Seems to be the way to go now for some clubs for some reason.Arbroath over the years have managed to sign good lower league players Mckenna and Gold from Berwick Rangers,Scott Stewart from Airdrie to name a few and been very successful doing it that way,baffles me now how DC has changed his approach. 

6 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I'm led to believe your looking at players in the Lower league of England, same  sort as a few you already have Isiaka and Fosu.Seems to be the way to go now for some clubs for some reason.Arbroath over the years have managed to sign good lower league players Mckenna and Gold from Berwick Rangers,Scott Stewart from Airdrie to name a few and been very successful doing it that way,baffles me now how DC has changed his approach. 

At the recent Q&A pink said the players in the lower leagues are not good enough, or tied up in long term contracts. If we are continuing to look down south then we have to be signing players from a higher standard than we have been.

21 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

At the recent Q&A pink said the players in the lower leagues are not good enough, or tied up in long term contracts. If we are continuing to look down south then we have to be signing players from a higher standard than we have been.

Honestly crazy thing for Pink to say. Really winds me up. It’s a nonsense, we have all watched L2 and L1 for most of our lives we know the standard. Imagine it’s also kind of covering their arses, they’ll know that’s not true now. 

Loans from EPL or Championship clubs I am all for. Even levels 6/7. Isthmian league south central west of the east side division 4 no thank you though

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Honestly crazy thing for Pink to say. Really winds me up. It’s a nonsense, we have all watched L2 and L1 for most of our lives we know the standard. Imagine it’s also kind of covering their arses, they’ll know that’s not true now. 

Loans from EPL or Championship clubs I am all for. Even levels 6/7. Isthmian league south central west of the east side division 4 no thank you though

Yep.

This is really a crazy approach by such an experienced (and successful) management team.

It shows that they’re utterly desperate and that they know they’re drinking in the last chance saloon.

These guys coming in will have to hit the ground running and make an immediate impact - there can be no grace period to settle in and get up to speed. An enormous risk imo - it even took Nouble a few weeks to get match fit and used to the pace and style of football here.

It may work, and we all hope it does, but, by christ it’s risky af and I’m not exactly holding out much hope.

I expect we will see the lad that we couldn’t register. 

If the management team have went to the board and said we want to sign these players from the 8th tier of English football then just sack them now. The approach has clearly not worked 

I'll be travelling tomorrow so won't make the game and sadly I have to say that I'm not bothered about missing it. I can't really see us getting a result tomorrow or for the next three games.

Will we really get some proven striker(s) in earlier enough in January to have any impact? I have my doubts about that, but maybe, just maybe we will. If not I think relegation will loom large. In fact I think we will be very lucky to stay in this league. We do not have the depth of squad strong enough to get us out of the situation we are in. We don't have any young players coming through the ranks in the way full time clubs have. We don't have good players lining up to come to the club when other clubs who are not in relegation situations will take them on.

The management knew where we needed to strengthen the team but didn't have the answer. Signings were made more in hope than expectation and that just did not work.

I feel we are stumbling towards relegation and we should perhaps accept that our natural level is not Championship level. We have done well to stay in the Championship for as long as we have and we rode the crest of a wave last season, but that counts for nothing now.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that we can maintain our place in the Championship.

Have a Merry Christmas and best wishes to all Lichties for 2023.

2 wins in 18 games is the stuff of relegation.

Get the right signings in January and we will start to climb the league.

Get the wrong signings and it's goodbye Championship football.

There will be suitable players out there - hopefully some have been targeted with discussions ongoing.

As others have mentioned, it will take new signings time to settle into the squad and also some might not sign until the last week of January - could be another 5 weeks before we know what direction we are going with new signings.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

At the Q and A I’m sure it was said we had had plenty of players up for a look at them while the World Cup was on, from Nottingham Forest / Burnley / Birmingham etc I’m sure. Could be wrong? But like the sound of that. 

While that does sound promising, I can’t be the only one frustrated by our short-termism. Personally I would rather we, also targeted players who might actually be proper signings as opposed to loans. Just means we’ll be back to square one in 6 months.

Having said that, if these are the kind of guys to dig us out of this hole then bring it on.

11 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

While that does sound promising, I can’t be the only one frustrated by our short-termism. Personally I would rather we, also targeted players who might actually be proper signings as opposed to loans. Just means we’ll be back to square one in 6 months.

Having said that, if these are the kind of guys to dig us out of this hole then bring it on.

Don’t mind it at all. We have a lot of long term guys at the club already, all I’m bothered about is getting good players in. I think the guys we should be targeting as ‘long term’ are ones that become free agents in the summer. At the very most players really only sign 1/2 year contracts in Scotland, throughout the summer I said to @Lichtie78on a regular basis that I would take x or y to be part of our squad going forward and they all got snapped up by clubs lower down the food chain. 

What we need right now though is just solid players. If guys are playing at these clubs in their under 23s or wherever then they’re going to be capable of playing in this division.

Sure Pink said that Oakley and Birmingham were very happy with how he’s been treated up here and the professionalism and they’d use that as a reference going forward 

1 hour ago, superlichtie87 said:

Any ex Scottish Prem strikers you would take? Griffiths, no! Ciftci, maybe. Hell, I'd take McCoist at this rate.

Plenty of good players in League 1 that would surely be interested playing Championship Football?Shocked Arbroath havent signed anyone from that league.  

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Plenty of good players in League 1 that would surely be interested playing Championship Football?Shocked Arbroath havent signed anyone from that league.  

Our bench recently has been worse than basically every club in L1s bench. I am not even kidding. Bench of Isiaka / Corfe / Shanks / Jacobs / Gill would be an average bench in L2. Depth absolutely non existent 

On Sheridan and McGinn I highly doubt it. Dundee fans forums always seem to link us with their players.