The Arbroath Thread

Wow this January window needs to be good and especially if Marcel disnae stay on. Don’t want to read too much into last night but it’s hard no to. Ok the fringe boys are no good enough but the fact a lower league side (a league we won’t recruit from) could rip through us every time points to an utter shambles at the core. We are at real danger in seeing years of hard work by everyone associated with the club going down the tubes….then what do we do. 

Fosu looks lost in midfield but has shown glimpses of quality further forward although not a goalscorer unfortunately. Corfe isn't up to this level from what we have seen. Shanks is the kind of player that can score goals but not going to bring you up the park. Actually thought it would have been a good option against Morton instead of Corfe as he may have picked up the scraps, rebound etc. The game was very even second half and if we can just get a few signings in to balance the side as Simon referred to we will have a chance of 8th. 

14 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm still licking my wounds after I dared to question the manager on here after the Morton game.

It's not worth it, I've just given up.

Not wasting any more time, emotion or money. Defeatist maybe,  but my choice. 

Best we can even hope for 2nd bottom and a play off v ........Falkirk or Dunfermline  !!

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m afraid Shanks just isn’t good enough. We wanted Hester away and he’s much better than Shanks. That’s the reality of it 

I can't judge a striker when they are not getting any sort of run in the team. Forwards need to build confidence and nothing that has happened so far this season is going to help with that. 

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

I can't judge a striker when they are not getting any sort of run in the team. Forwards need to build confidence and nothing that has happened so far this season is going to help with that. 

He’s had plenty of time on the park though. He’s alright and by far the most promising of all the punts but he’s a young lad who’s just not good enough to play in the Championship. We should’ve had him out on loan getting games in L2 this year but we recruited so badly we’ve had to keep him about. 

Simon is right, our central midfield has been wrong all season.  Its what happened last week (the big glob of confused players), its what happened last night, and it keeps happening.  I've wanted us to play one striker, as having an out ball balances the team better (see Morton), and makes it easier to give our midfield clear roles.  So naturally, last night we went with 2 (and a half), and didnt give them a midfield to support them.

I still maintain that we do not have bad players.  Tait is not a bad player, Allan is not a bad player, Fosu is not a bad player, Jacobs, Shanks, they are not bad players, Corfe...well there are exceptions.  But generally, I don't believe we have terrible players there, the main issue for me is that the manager is not using the players he has got properly.  Would that change if we let the manager bring in 10 new signings of his choice?  I am not so sure.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He’s had plenty of time on the park though. He’s alright and by far the most promising of all the punts but he’s a young lad who’s just not good enough to play in the Championship. We should’ve had him out on loan getting games in L2 this year but we recruited so badly we’ve had to keep him about. 

I agree a good loan deal would have been a good thing and I can see that happening in January. Just think you need an actual run of 5 or 6 games not the stop/start appearences he has been making. Once we played him at Inverness and then Cove we should have kept with him for a few more games imo. 

It's such a frustrating season so far this year and injuries certainly haven't helped but I do think we still have a good core to the squad so there is some hope. 

15 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Bairns were causing bother 

Your rather self important stewards totally overreacted and I told them so, but they are an officious bunch.

We were along that end, the young Arbroath lads were jawing with the older Dunfermline crew,  but there was never, ever going to be a proper confrontation. If the Dunfermline boys had wanted to get over they could have easily, but it wasn’t going to happen.

The stewards started moving the young lads along a bit and we thought fair enough, but then us and some of your older supporters who were further along towards the middle got shooed away, I thought the steward was joking at first, he was full of self importance.

Anyway, it was an interesting evening, the Arbroath defence and midfield was shocking, made Craig Wighton, a decent enough player, look like peak Ronaldo. Felt sorry for Cammy Gill in goals, he was totally exposed at almost all the goals.

I love Gayfield as a stadium (stewards apart), the people are really friendly, and it’s good to see the younger fans engaged with the club, some on their own and some with their parents. I know some people maybe find them a bit of a pain, but as a Cowdenbeath fan I was envious of the connection that is there at the moment with the fans and the club, keep the youngsters involved and you’ll be in a good place going forward.

Just used the new store website to order my dads Christmas present, new AFC jacket. New website spot on, the online store is magic with everything you could possibly ask for and more and gives you option of delivery or picking up from the high street shop or Gayfield. Very easy to do and very well set up. Dad was also at the Alan Soutar thing on Sunday with Bobby Linn, said it was a brilliant day out and there were darts fans there from all over the country. 

Again taking a minute away from the on park stuff we are really in such a great position off the park with the club doing so many good things, we have made some massive strides off the park and it’s important to remember that

Just need Dick to sort out the on field stuff as soon as possible. I don’t think we are far away. A proper striker and some attacking wide options should do us wonders.