The Arbroath Thread

I enjoyed the game yesterday. There’s nothing like the glow from a David Gold goal.
Fosu’s impact in the second half was immense. Up until then Ambrose was having the easiest afternoon of his season. Daniel really shook them up.
My drive back west was filled nicely by extensive cover of the Championship on the BBC. Ian Murray of Raith Rovers was pointing out that the league leaders would all be looking to strengthen in January and some of them have serious financial backing. So as much as we’re pinning our hopes on the window it may be a double edged sword. Here’s hoping that the new recruitment team unearths some gems.

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

A striker is the obvious one but we also miss stewart and low badly, im not sure of the details but there’s obviously been a falling out with low and management and if its over the scott allan signing it can go down as one of the worst bit of business we’ve ever done.

That situation is nothing to do with Scott Allan. That’s not fair bringing him into it. Nicky Low wanted to go to Morton, we didn’t want him to go to Morton. It’s that simple 

eta - I believe at the Q and A this was discussed and I get the impression we are not overly happy with the situation. He will not play for us again and that’s his decision 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Nicky Low could potentially move to another team in January and the move could involve a player swap with a club sending one of their players to Gayfield - not saying this will happen, but it's certainly possible.

Overall, we played really well in the 2nd half yesterday, but a few players are lacking consistency - but we are moving in the right direction.

There will be a few ins and outs in January and I think the squad will be strengthened.

Nicky Low could potentially move to another team in January and the move could involve a player swap with a club sending one of their players to Gayfield - not saying this will happen, but it's certainly possible.
Overall, we played really well in the 2nd half yesterday, but a few players are lacking consistency - but we are moving in the right direction.
There will be a few ins and outs in January and I think the squad will be strengthened.

Low can only play for yourselves or Kelty now. So if this happened you’d be getting a Kelty player in return.

5 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Not sure what you mean?Don't see any reason why signing a striker would mean McKenna has to drop out 

Never said McKenna would drop out, thinking more of Allan

41 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Anybody could move in January on a player swap. Would imagine low will see the season out there and move to a west coast team in the summer.

I’m coming up on Friday night for the Dunfermline game (neutral, but will be in the Arbroath end 😉) with missus and 11 year old daughter. 

Without wanting to turn this into tripadvisor, are there any decent pubs that do food or Italian restaurants in the town for a bite to eat before the game? Don’t mind if the pubs are a bit noisy, we’re regulars at football and daughter is well used to the rougher end of the language scale (being Cowden regulars 😄).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by Cowdenleith

I have a question for folk who live in Arbroath - what’s happened to The Foundry Bar? As fans who live out of town, it’s been our pre-match meeting point/pub for a while now but it’s been closed pre-match the last couple of games.

Has it closed down? Staff shortages?  It was always pretty busy before and after a game so really surprised.

Edited by Tattie36

I have a question for folk who live in Arbroath - what’s happened to The Foundry Bar? As fans who live out of town, it’s been our pre-match meeting point/pub for a while now but it’s been closed pre-match the last couple of games.
Has it closed down? Staff shortages?  It was always pretty busy before and after a game so really surprised.

Yeah it’s shut down again, I heard that the person who had it has now got the pageant , don’t know how much of that is true

I’m coming up on Friday night for the Dunfermline game (neutral, but will be in the Arbroath end [emoji6]) with missus and 11 year old daughter. 

Without wanting to turn this into tripadvisor, are there any decent pubs that do food or Italian restaurants in the town for a bite to eat before the game? Don’t mind if the pubs are a bit noisy, we’re regulars at football and daughter is well used to the rougher end of the language scale (being Cowden regulars [emoji1]).

Tutties just across the road do a really good range of meals , never had a bad meal from there.

The townhouse and coast are the other 2 restaurants that would not be a bad shout.

There is an Italian restaurant called Azzurro at the bottom of the high street , it opens at 5pm on Fridays. You can take your own drink in there too, the foods supposed to be brilliant . I can’t comment as never been

36 minutes ago, Biglichtie74 said:

Yeah it’s shut down again, I heard that the person who had it has now got the pageant , don’t know how much of that is true

Cheers.

That’s a bit shit. Always loved The Foundry as it’s quirky and completely unique, certainly nothing like it in Aberdeen, and in a great location for the fitba.

Any rumours or likelihood of it reopening?

I’m coming up on Friday night for the Dunfermline game (neutral, but will be in the Arbroath end [emoji6]) with missus and 11 year old daughter. 

Without wanting to turn this into tripadvisor, are there any decent pubs that do food or Italian restaurants in the town for a bite to eat before the game? Don’t mind if the pubs are a bit noisy, we’re regulars at football and daughter is well used to the rougher end of the language scale (being Cowden regulars [emoji1]).

Yes the owner who had the foundry now has the pageant and has made an excellent job so far. Been there a couple of times for the world cup and they do food now and can be added to the list for cowden’s pre match meals. Another option would be the bell rock if you fancy fish & chips, dont serve alcohol but you could head to tutties after for that.

On 04/12/2022 at 11:14, lichtiekev said:

Also it's clear Scott Allan isn't going to ever be suited to this level and especially our style of football, I wouldn't be opposed to cutting ties with him, 

Is it the player, the level, the style of play or the lack of tactical awareness of the manager ?

I understand we have no strikers etc, but DC seems to just go with the most bizzare choices at times, and still tries to stick to launching long balls up top, by passing our midfielders and it simply does not work.

But at least try and get something out of the players we have at our disposal, using different formations, try stuff out.

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Agreed, we keep hearing this mantra that Dick needs new players, and that the current players aren't good enough.  Scott Allan is more than good enough to play for us.  If we aren't getting the best out of him, that's on the manager.

Scott Allan can't pass a ball 15 yards so that's the manager's fault. Your clear hatred of DC is clouding your judgement