Jump to content

The Arbroath Thread


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Missing Scott Stewart enormously, out since the last Morton match.

Always rated him individually, but what he brings to the team defensively and attacking has really become evident over the past 10 weeks. 

Here Here

With the other Scotty back now and sitting in front of the back 4 and when Scotty Stewart does comes back I am 100% convinced we will push on as he for me has been the biggest miss and then add more attacking threat in January, Praying we can keep Oakley until the end of the season too 🇱🇻⚽💪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Last time we won a cup tie at Fraserburgh we drew Motherwell at home in the next round 😀

Aye, remember back then, when we had 35 year old Colin McGlashan up front, supported by 39 year old Tommy Bryce, changed days.

Now we play our ancient midfielder up front on his own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, remember back then, when we had 35 year old Colin McGlashan up front, supported by 39 year old Tommy Bryce, changed days.

Now we play our ancient midfielder up front on his own.

Bryce scored a flicked header IIRC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bryce scored a flicked header IIRC
He did indeed. Earned us a 1-1 draw that night.

That was the 2nd time we had to face Motherwell as the original game was called off at HT when their manager complained to the referee that it was too windy.

Didnt seem to bother him that they had the wind in the first half shooting towards the Harbour End.

They were only winning 1-0 after their winger, just in front of the dugout hit a deep cross to the back post, only for the wind to take it and proceed to make it like Roberto Carlos had hit it and move it in every direction before nestling it in the top corner.

Panic ensued from the Motherwell bench knowing full well Arbroath would pepper the goal with shots in the 2nd half. Their manager couldnt get on the pitch quick enough to beg the ref to call the game off
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

He did indeed. Earned us a 1-1 draw that night.

That was the 2nd time we had to face Motherwell as the original game was called off at HT when their manager complained to the referee that it was too windy.

Didnt seem to bother him that they had the wind in the first half shooting towards the Harbour End.

They were only winning 1-0 after their winger, just in front of the dugout hit a deep cross to the back post, only for the wind to take it and proceed to make it like Roberto Carlos had hit it and move it in every direction before nestling it in the top corner.

Panic ensued from the Motherwell bench knowing full well Arbroath would pepper the goal with shots in the 2nd half. Their manager couldnt get on the pitch quick enough to beg the ref to call the game off

The lanky winger Derek Townsley got their goal that afternoon. I seem to remember the replay being postponed a few times as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The lanky winger Derek Townsley got their goal that afternoon. I seem to remember the replay being postponed a few times as well 

Aye, waterlogged pitch down at Motherwell.  It was a bit of a notorious game, given we had an abandoned game, the second attempt, then 3 (iirc) cancelled replays before it was eventually played.  It was a good Motherwell team too, Andy Goram in goal, Billy Davies as manager, Ged Brannan, Townsley, Goodman, Lee McCulloch etc.

I also mind that the game got abandoned but nobody told the fans, and it wasnt until they sidled out and took the corner flags away that we realised the game was off!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, waterlogged pitch down at Motherwell.  It was a bit of a notorious game, given we had an abandoned game, the second attempt, then 3 (iirc) cancelled replays before it was eventually played.  It was a good Motherwell team too, Andy Goram in goal, Billy Davies as manager, Ged Brannan, Townsley, Goodman, Lee McCulloch etc.

I also mind that the game got abandoned but nobody told the fans, and it wasnt until they sidled out and took the corner flags away that we realised the game was off!  

Then all hell broke loose on the A92

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/11/2022 at 11:47, lichtie23 said:

Then all hell broke loose on the A92

As a result, I think they gathered up every police horse in north east Scotland for the replay!  To my young eyes, it looked like they had declared martial law in Arbroath.

Edited by ExiledLichtie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...