The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Campbells interview....

Took all the plaudits last season but doesn't like the criticism this season,

Telling fans to get a grip is very poor 

I agree the fans do need to get a grip, and i agree the chants to get Bobby Linn on at any given opportunity also gets on my tits. 

Big DC says it how it is, we are not the same team as last season we have lost several players, but amazing to see Hilly get the plaudits he deserves. Just wish those clowns who were on his case realise no-one can perform well without a run of games in their preferred position. 

Get a grip fellas, you all get on my tits too.

12 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

I agree the fans do need to get a grip, and i agree the chants to get Bobby Linn on at any given opportunity also gets on my tits. 

Big DC says it how it is, we are not the same team as last season we have lost several players, but amazing to see Hilly get the plaudits he deserves. Just wish those clowns who were on his case realise no-one can perform well without a run of games in their preferred position. 

Get a grip fellas, you all get on my tits too.

I'm glad it gets on your tits to, that pleases me,

I'm really unsure about the comments about us being a different team... that's pretty obvious.... however most of the criticism has been of the poor recruitment, but I'm guessing you will argue its not been, 

And if you don't agree that Linn has to start over Corfe, Hancock, Fosu, Gold, Craigen, Henderson, Donnelly and every other person tried on the left your away with the fairies more that I thought...

15 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Campbells interview....

Took all the plaudits last season but doesn't like the criticism this season,

Telling fans to get a grip is very poor 

Dick go to take the good with the bad, he’s got the safest job in Scottish football 

Recent criticisms of his recruitment are spot on and he will half know that too. We still have plenty of good players in that squad without having a proper centre forward or many good attacking options, we’ve had a hard hard time with injuries and suspensions 

Hilson all round excellent again Saturday if that effort Kerr cleared off line went in would’ve been complete strikers performance. Needs McKenna up and Close to him though 

Also… fans get annoyed at Bobby not playing or getting taken off when we need a goal for a reason…. It’s not hard to work out DC. f**k sake 😂

15 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

I'm glad it gets on your tits to, that pleases me,

I'm really unsure about the comments about us being a different team... that's pretty obvious.... however most of the criticism has been of the poor recruitment, but I'm guessing you will argue its not been, 

And if you don't agree that Linn has to start over Corfe, Hancock, Fosu, Gold, Craigen, Henderson, Donnelly and every other person tried on the left your away with the fairies more that I thought...

`You guessed wrong, but your always wrong arent you.

I'm not a fan of DC, his poor recruitment, poor tactics and worst still, a manager who has on several occasions missed games/training to go and top up his tan.

Hancock is a CB/LB who was played on the left wing. Rumour has it Dick said to the boy its the worst performance hes seen in 40 years in the game, a CB playing left wing, so i can see why it didnt go well. But arrogant DC put the boy down, and it was all DC's fault.

Gold/Henderson defo not left midfielders

But Bobby is 37 having to rely on a 37 year old week in week out is a big ask 

`You guessed wrong, but your always wrong arent you.
I'm not a fan of DC, his poor recruitment, poor tactics and worst still, a manager who has on several occasions missed games/training to go and top up his tan.
Hancock is a CB/LB who was played on the left wing. Rumour has it Dick said to the boy its the worst performance hes seen in 40 years in the game, a CB playing left wing, so i can see why it didnt go well. But arrogant DC put the boy down, and it was all DC's fault.
Gold/Henderson defo not left midfielders
But Bobby is 37 having to rely on a 37 year old week in week out is a big ask 

Age is totally irrelevant. If your fit enough and you have the ability then what's the issue. Plenty of top players are older including Modric at Real Madrid who is slightly older than Bobby and is the main man there.

He is fit and has the stamina and has the ability to score out of nothing. I'm not worried about how old he is.

18 minutes ago, danlichtie said:

Have I taken drugs earlier than usual today, or did I just see someone compare Bobby Linn to Luka Modric?

Obviously not as simple as that, it’s all relevant and what he is saying is correct 

Bobby decision to become a bin man and do his boxing training away from football clearly paid off big time. Since he’s started that he’s been phenomenal and has gotten better with age. The amount of miles he covers at his work plus the boxing training plus the football training is some training and fitness schedule. If he had discovered it in his early twenties he’d have played in the top flight no problem. We are lucky to have him and should do our best to get him on the park for as many minutes as possible 

I suppose the worry is we’ve not had one single other tricky creative player with a bit of pace since Dicks been at the club, Denholm showed flashes but other than that I can’t really think of anyone. Paterson in that mould but not up to the level. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dick go to take the good with the bad, he’s got the safest job in Scottish football 

Recent criticisms of his recruitment are spot on and he will half know that too. We still have plenty of good players in that squad without having a proper centre forward or many good attacking options, we’ve had a hard hard time with injuries and suspensions 

Hilson all round excellent again Saturday if that effort Kerr cleared off line went in would’ve been complete strikers performance. Needs McKenna up and Close to him though 

Also… fans get annoyed at Bobby not playing or getting taken off when we need a goal for a reason…. It’s not hard to work out DC. f**k sake 😂

Agree with this and DC's interview was "bizarre" to say the least.

I would have only moved on LD from last years squad and unless players demanded away (Low) i would have not moved anybody else on and brought in quality players especially a "known" striker.

If JT and Craigen were happy to stay as versatile squad players then i would have kept them as they are 2 GOOD players plus good from the dressing room which is very important as well.

DC has brought in a couple of quality players but up to now 50% of them have not been up to his motto "I only bring in players BETTER than i already have at the club".

Anyway on the back of Saturday's good display onwards and upwards.

No one is comparing Linn to Modric as a footballer ffs. It’s the idea that you can still compete at your (relative) level so long as you look after yourself, and have the drive and desire to do so… and the footballing ability of course.

The vast majority of players give up when they do, normally early to mid 30s, because they physically or mentally (or both) just can’t compete or keep going any longer. Bobby is fairly unusual in that he seems to be on top of both of those. Obviously age will catch up eventually but 37 is still young in the grand scheme of things. I reckon he’s got this season and another one or two, so long as he stays injury free and mentally committed.

Personally, I would play him every minute he’s fit enough to play. No one in our squad even comes close to his ability to create chances, scare the sh1t out of opposition defences or produce moments of magic.

Edited by Tattie36

46 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Your game against Raith next mid week I am not going to be able to travel to the game from Kirkcaldy but am wondering if there will be a PPV service that night?

There will be a ppv for international viewers and an audio only for UK listeners.

16 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

There will be a ppv for international viewers and an audio only for UK listeners.

Can we not provide a ppv tv video feed within the UK for midweek games  ?

Thought Saturday 2.45 to 5.15 were the only times that can't be covered by video.

2 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Can we not provide a ppv tv video feed within the UK for midweek games  ?

Thought Saturday 2.45 to 5.15 were the only times that can't be covered by video.

That’s a possibility, never thought of that, sure the club will let us know soon.

Bobby Linn is a great asset so is it not a case of maximising this? .  Strong arguments in favour BOTH of starting him or as impact sub second half.  Fabulous contribution against Dundee but felt he should have probably been subbed 10 minutes earlier than he was.   He’s one of these players who can change the game so there’s always that hope but just spending time on the pitch when the circumstances or his own effort are diminishing could be counterproductive.  Having another potential game changer on the bench would be nice.

Edited by farflung lichtie

2 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Our game with you on Christmas Eve (a Saturday) is being moved to the Friday night according to Queen's. No explanation, naturally. Any info from Arbroath FC?

I think both sets of players have been asked and would prefer to get the game out the way and have Christmas Eve off. 

2 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Bobby Linn is a great asset so is it not a case of maximising this? .  Strong arguments in favour BOTH of starting him or as impact sub second half.  Fabulous contribution against Dundee but felt he should have probably been subbed 10 minutes earlier than he was.   He’s one of these players who can change the game so there’s always that hope but just spending time on the pitch when the circumstances or his own effort are diminishing could be counterproductive.  Having another potential game changer on the bench would be nice.

I think Bobby is much more effective from the start, Dundee couldn't live with him on Saturday and it helped us get onto the front foot. It's another shocking indictment on our recruitment that we don't have anyone else capable of playing that role. If Bobby got ruled out for the season tomorrow then we would have 0 left wingers at the club until January.