The Arbroath Thread

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But that’s the main weakness in the team, said it about Jacobs when he was getting slagged rotten and it’s probably why Thomson has looked so off it and why ToB has had 2 red cards and why Scott Allan was getting called an imposter at the weekend and why so many other players at the back and in midfield have looked poor if you are playing in a team that cannot get up the park and create chances in any meaningful way the other team just keeps coming at you over and over. Then when we go a goal down it must be demoralising, when it happened Saturday I knew we were beat or getting a draw at best after the first and when the second went in would’ve been as well going home

Never mind goals but how many chances have we created in 8 games? For whatever reason we seemed to create a few at Dens and a few in Greenock but in the other games I genuinely cannot think of anything from open play, McKenna and Shanks against Inverness is the only thing coming to mind. That attacking 6 would struggle to do anything in L1 never mind the Championship it’s fkn hopeless from Dick it really is 

Stewart, Hamilton, Little and Gaston my only pass marks so far this year 

Can’t argue with any of that. We’re in big trouble, confidence throughout the team seems to have fallen off a cliff and it’s going to be incredibly difficult to get the spark back.

No worries though, the club have announced a £25pp gin night with Dick Campbell later in the month so nothing to worry about.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But that’s the main weakness in the team, said it about Jacobs when he was getting slagged rotten and it’s probably why Thomson has looked so off it and why ToB has had 2 red cards and why Scott Allan was getting called an imposter at the weekend and why so many other players at the back and in midfield have looked poor if you are playing in a team that cannot get up the park and create chances in any meaningful way the other team just keeps coming at you over and over. Then when we go a goal down it must be demoralising, when it happened Saturday I knew we were beat or getting a draw at best after the first and when the second went in would’ve been as well going home

Never mind goals but how many chances have we created in 8 games? For whatever reason we seemed to create a few at Dens and a few in Greenock but in the other games I genuinely cannot think of anything from open play, McKenna and Shanks against Inverness is the only thing coming to mind. That attacking 6 would struggle to do anything in L1 never mind the Championship it’s fkn hopeless from Dick it really is 

Stewart, Hamilton, Little and Gaston my only pass marks so far this year 

The stats section on the SPFL website gives the following numbers.

Shots - 45 - 10 short of next lowest in Cove

Shots on target - 18 - 9 short of next lowest in Morton

Gaston has also had to make the 3rd highest amount of saves in the league

8 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Gaston stat pretty mental considering so many shots have fkn gone in 😂

13 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I’m surprised we’ve had as many as 45 attempts tbf. I couldn’t believe what I was watching on Saturday 2-0 down after half an hour and I can recall 5 efforts from us, even with the wind in our favour second half - Linn’s free kick and a tame volley from Hilson in the first half, and an off target long range effort, a blocked header and Hammy’s header past the post in the second half. At 2-0 down we should have made immediate subs and thrown the kitchen sink at them.

Edited by Tattie36

44 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Cove and Morton both winning

We are so relegated 

ETA - Cove scored more goals from open play tonight in 60 minutes v Dundee than we have all season

Terrible night for us. Also noticed Morton had 16 attempts on goal tonight. That’s pretty much 3 games worth for us.

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

if you are playing in a team that cannot get up the park and create chances in any meaningful way the other team just keeps coming at you over and over. 

This, for me, summarises the problem entirely. We simply cannot hold the ball in the opposition half for any length of time and haven't done in any league game this season. This means the defence are under so much more pressure than last year, the midfield have very little to aim at/ work with and up top we simply don't have a player to win and hold the ball and bring others into play. It's not Hilly's fault, he's an entirely different player to the main options we've had up top for the last few years. Due to all of this, the midfield have nothing to aim at and are getting caught on the ball waiting for someone to give them an option that never comes. I genuinely think we're one player off being okay, but not being able to hold the ball in the final third of the park puts every other position in the team under far more pressure than in previous years and it's really showing right now.

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

What an utterly depressing thread this is 

I am embracing the depression this year and preparing myself for a good 3 months of it at the very least. It wouldn’t be supporting Arbroath if there was none of it and it’s been a good 6 years since things felt this bad.

It’s the only way you can enjoy the highs, getting pumped 3-0 at home Saturday and then driving home from QP away after recording 0 shots on target are the kind of days that will make you appreciate a thumping win whenever it comes around 😂

One of the main problems is we have recruited a number players during the summer who would be more suitable for playing in Division 1 or 2 - they are not at the level of playing in the Championship - this has resulted in having a weaker bench and fewer options.

Last season, everything clicked and we also had an element of luck ( which all successful teams need) - so far this season we have had no luck and the team selections are not clicking - nothing seems to gel.

We will get better very soon when the first team injured players return ( I am sure of that) - but failure to recruit good options upfront means we are going to struggle finding the net - unfortunately, I don't think this is going to change until we recruit a couple of strikers who are suitable for playing in the Championship ( if we get some luck, we might be able to get a couple on loan on late January - the club will be actively looking at doing this for certain).

In the meantime, I have lowered my expectations for this season.

19 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

One of the main problems is we have recruited a number players during the summer who would be more suitable for playing in Division 1 or 2 - they are not at the level of playing in the Championship - this has resulted in having a weaker bench and fewer options.

Last season, everything clicked and we also had an element of luck ( which all successful teams need) - so far this season we have had no luck and the team selections are not clicking - nothing seems to gel.

We will get better very soon when the first team injured players return ( I am sure of that) - but failure to recruit good options upfront means we are going to struggle finding the net - unfortunately, I don't think this is going to change until we recruit a couple of strikers who are suitable for playing in the Championship ( if we get some luck, we might be able to get a couple on loan on late January - the club will be actively looking at doing this for certain).

In the meantime, I have lowered my expectations for this season.

So true. Of the 6 I listed above, again all these guys are players that play in areas that need to create and score goals 

Paterson - young lad from the East of Scotland league 

Shanks - young lad from the Highland League. A league where Brechin are one of the best teams 

Corfe - from a league that doesn’t even call the sport it’s proper name

Fosu - from the 8th tier in English football

Isiaka - young lad who hadn’t played a proper match in a year and was last in the Icelandic second division for a team near the bottom 

Hilson - 3 years of him and although he works hard and can help the team him scoring goals or making chances is rarer than coming across bigfoot 

How can that be justified as our attacking options in the Scottish Championship in any way shape or form?

After Corfe and Fosu trial matches not one person on here or that I spoke to off here said I hope we sign them so why did Dick?

We have kept Paterson here he never ever ever plays, why?

Isiaka clearly just a back up option we kept around incase the loan fell through, which it did, he was a free agent all summer and we signed him at the very last minute. Ford / Bakare vibes.

Shanks should’ve been a young lad we tried to bring on and improve, he should’ve been our third choice striker, instead we are kind of throwing him into the deep end.