The Arbroath Thread

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

😂 You keep believing that. 

Tbf it is. We have 4/5 players training at Gayfield through the week. This is new, definitely an option we should keep going forward if we are in this league if the loans from England etc are as good as what Oakley appears to be 

Obviously the loan guys train FT too but that’s not unique to us and every other PT team with a loan from a FT club will have the exact same. 

So looks like this is it until January anyway 

There are positives there, mentioned the energy we’ve now got in the team and some very good technical players but I can’t help but feel like we are quite clearly an unfinished article and I’m not sure how it’s going to go.

I have a bad feeling it’s going to be an extremely frustrating next couple of months, think we will probably play quite well in games and look ok for spells but ultimately lack any real goal threat and if you’re not putting them away at one end and going a goal or two down that can have a major effect on a team.

That was the story of our season a couple of years ago, that start we had when we couldn’t win a game to save ourselves despite looking pretty decent in most individual matches. I feel like we could be in for a repeat of that which is not good especially considering how big the budget will have been for Dick this season. I think the striking situation is a monumental f**k up on his behalf albeit he’s clearly tried very hard he’s just not produced the goods 

Hopefully Hilson steps up, he was immense in Greenock and Man of the Match last week too. Hopefully he’s found his shooting boots and a bit of confidence. I am sure we will make opportunities with the likes of Allan, Tait, Bobby and McKenna in the team, Oakley too. We just have to hope that we can take them. Would like to see Allan and Tait in particular, he always finds himself in good areas, to have a pop at goal more often.

We will have to wait and see how it goes but ultimately I’m extremely disappointed in our recruitment in forward areas. We all know how crucial that is for us after the last 3 years in this league 

31 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So looks like this is it until January anyway 

There are positives there, mentioned the energy we’ve now got in the team and some very good technical players but I can’t help but feel like we are quite clearly an unfinished article and I’m not sure how it’s going to go.

I have a bad feeling it’s going to be an extremely frustrating next couple of months, think we will probably play quite well in games and look ok for spells but ultimately lack any real goal threat and if you’re not putting them away at one end and going a goal or two down that can have a major effect on a team.

That was the story of our season a couple of years ago, that start we had when we couldn’t win a game to save ourselves despite looking pretty decent in most individual matches. I feel like we could be in for a repeat of that which is not good especially considering how big the budget will have been for Dick this season. I think the striking situation is a monumental f**k up on his behalf albeit he’s clearly tried very hard he’s just not produced the goods 

Hopefully Hilson steps up, he was immense in Greenock and Man of the Match last week too. Hopefully he’s found his shooting boots and a bit of confidence. I am sure we will make opportunities with the likes of Allan, Tait, Bobby and McKenna in the team, Oakley too. We just have to hope that we can take them. Would like to see Allan and Tait in particular, he always finds himself in good areas, to have a pop at goal more often.

We will have to wait and see how it goes but ultimately I’m extremely disappointed in our recruitment in forward areas. We all know how crucial that is for us after the last 3 years in this league 

Bobby in the team? 🤥 

Watched this Nicky low podcast section about Arbroath and he still talks about DC and the boys really highly. He’s going to start doing coaching at nights in Inverclyde with his mate who’s started some new business wonder if that’s why he wanted a FT move to Morton. 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I feel like we could be in for a repeat of that which is not good especially considering how big the budget will have been for Dick this season. I think the striking situation is a monumental f**k up on his behalf albeit he’s clearly tried very hard he’s just not produced the goods 

A touch harsh, no?

I think near enough every team in the league is screaming out for a striker.  Every match thread seems to have the opposition bemoaning their complete lack of forward options.

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

A touch harsh, no?

I think near enough every team in the league is screaming out for a striker.  Every match thread seems to have the opposition bemoaning their complete lack of forward options.

No not harsh at all. It’s perfectly reasonable criticism that comes as part and parcel of being a football manager, praised DC in many other areas and with some of his other signings this year but the striking situation is not good enough and he will know that.

What situations other teams are in is of no relevance, also I don’t really think any team is as lacking as we are in that area with possibly the exception of Morton. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No not harsh at all. It’s perfectly reasonable criticism that comes as part and parcel of being a football manager, praised DC in many other areas and with some of his other signings this year but the striking situation is not good enough and he will know that.

What situations other teams are in is of no relevance, also I don’t really think any team is as lacking as we are in that area with possibly the exception of Morton. 

Actually, I think its very relevant.  For example, if full time Partick Thistle weren't desperate for a striker, we'd have managed to sign Dowds.  McKenna picked up top scorer last season with a whopping 15 goals.   You can't look at that and tell me the championship is replete with goalscoring strikers.  

28 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Actually, I think its very relevant.  For example, if full time Partick Thistle weren't desperate for a striker, we'd have managed to sign Dowds.  McKenna picked up top scorer last season with a whopping 15 goals.   You can't look at that and tell me the championship is replete with goalscoring strikers.  

What has Anton Dowds got to do with anything? We tried to sign him NINE MONTHS ago. We have had 3/4 month to sign a striker and we’ve not managed it D.C. will recognise he’s not been successful there…. and like I’ve said even if what other clubs were doing was relevant we are probably worse off than every other team aside from Morton in that position

Edited by 1320Lichtie

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What has Anton Dowds got to do with anything? We tried to sign him NINE MONTHS ago. We have had 3/4 month to sign a striker and we’ve not managed it D.C. will recognise he’s not been successful there…. and like I’ve said even if what other clubs were doing was relevant we are probably worse off than every other team aside from Morton in that position

What you on about worse off than all teams bar Morton, we've got Hilly.

Yeah there's a Queue of good strikers banging at Gayfield's door looking for a game....