The Arbroath Thread

I suspect these announcements late last night were stage managed, in the sense these deals would have been agreed before last night.

Dylan Tait should prove to be a good signing, but the other signings appear to be high risk signings with neither of the players having much experience of playing at this level (with the exception of playing a game for a heavily depleted Birmingham team).

Can only assume the talks to bring in new strikers broke down or the players took a different option - either way, we really only have young development players as options for playing upfront.

The loss of Craigan is also disappointing, he will be seeking more regular game time, but I always regarded him as an important element to the squad.

Unfortunately, we still have the same ongoing problem of not having a proven goal scorer to play at this level.

Can only assume the work on finding a suitable striker will continue - we will need one in soon.

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Have you not looked in the Icelandic 2nd division? Because we have 

I had a look out of interest and he was also playing for a side who finished that season bottom of the Icelandic 2nd division, with 8 points in 22 games. So that sounds promising for you guys. 

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I had a look out of interest and he was also playing for a side who finished that season bottom of the Icelandic 2nd division, with 8 points in 22 games. So that sounds promising for you guys. 

Look, don’t fuckin rub it in aryt!! 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This post is to blame if we lose on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What did our fans think we were going to do, put in an offer for Ronaldo?

Maybe we aimed too high. I would’ve taken any promising full time young Premiership striker over this Isiaka chap. I know we are aiming higher than that and trying to get guys on the verges of first teams… Henderson / Cameron etc but the above would’ve been a safer option than another potential Bakare / Ford situation for me 

Gaston

Oakley  Little  Hammy Hancock

Stewart   Tait     Jacobs      Linn

Allan 

Shanks 

Not great, the recruitment has not been the best lately, most of our better players have been with us or a while while we have been lucky with loans 

1 minute ago, lichtiekev said:

Gaston

Oakley  Little  Hammy Hancock

Stewart   Tait     Jacobs      Linn

Allan 

Shanks 

Not great, the recruitment has not been the best lately, most of our better players have been with us or a while while we have been lucky with loans 

I actually think, putting ToB back in there and then Hamilton to left back that on paper that’s a decent side. But as you say it’s the relying on Shanks who really should be one we’re bedding in that’s the big problem 

15 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I guess on the whole it may not be too bad - the midfield is definitely in a better place and the young RB may prove to be a fantastic signing.

If we had signed a decent forward option then things would be looking a lot more rosy.

We signed a decent looking winger (Corfe), an attacking midfielder who has looked decent when not forced to be a striker (Fosu), 2 good central midfielders (Allan, Tait), and a defensive midfielder who had a slow start but has improved game by game (Jacobs).  We lost Craigan, who almost never played in the middle, Hamilton (who we were never going to be able to keep), and potentially Low.  Losing Low would be a blow, but I think overall, our recruitment has been good and the midfield looks stronger.

In defence, we lost Henderson, which looks to have been unavoidable, and a full back who while a hero for us, was definitely looking creaky, and replaced them with Hancock, who looks promising, and the new guy (Oakley).  Not great, but at the same time, not a disaster.  Net neutral I'd say.

In attack, we lost Hamilton and Wighton, who again, we were never going to be able to keep, Donnelly, and we brought in Isiaka and Shanks.  The jury is out on them, but we are definitely not as strong as last year.  It does show the dangers of being too dependent on loan signings.