The Arbroath Thread

15 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

And I wish the club would give an update on Nicky Low,

If for any reason he is refusing to play when clearly his current team mates need a bit of support then it's really poor on his part,

Don't sell him unless we get a stupid fee,

But maybe they can’t. Maybe it is personal reasons, obviously Nicky does not want to discuss or air his private life in public. Just leave it just now and see what happens 

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Allan looked fucked at the end. 

4 players in by Saturday please Dick

Hopefully in his words they are better that what we have, because most this season and Ford and Bakare from last season have been massive flops, 

Can't believe how much we miss the 2 Hamiltons and Henderson...

12 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Don't sell him unless we get a stupid fee,

Suspect this is the problem.  We want a fee, the club he's going to have next to nae money.

All the time the clock runs down and we can't then get suitable players in. I really hope this isn't allowed to happen  !!

Certainly looked like the team were playing for the jersey tonight. Was always going to be hard going with the players we had missing and Thomson adding to that. 

Looks like Nicky is away or is trying to force a move through. As much as he is loved , that’s football and players move on, don’t think there’s anything more to it than that. 

5 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Certainly looked like the team were playing for the jersey tonight. Was always going to be hard going with the players we had missing and Thomson adding to that. 

Looks like Nicky is away or is trying to force a move through. As much as he is loved , that’s football and players move on, don’t think there’s anything more to it than that. 

Good to hear. Saw a photo of Scotty Allan at the end and he looked distraught. It is backs against the wall stuff right now, can’t be easy for the players. They put a lot in 

Hopefully we can get a break soon

47 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Suspect this is the problem.  We want a fee, the club he's going to have next to nae money.

All the time the clock runs down and we can't then get suitable players in. I really hope this isn't allowed to happen  !!

We have just sold the naming rights to the ground for over a 100k so yes we do have a bit of money. But as good a player as he is I doubt we will want to pay a fee.

FWIW I thought Scott Stewart did well when thrown in at CB last night. Certainly didn’t look out of place. 

I have to agree but I’m still perplexed as to why we’ve started the season with such a weak squad. You could argue that we’re missing ToB because he’s been exposed in defence and had to make last ditch tackles and fouls to keep us in the game.

Thought our makeshift defence did well last night especially thomson then stewart for playing out of position. Mckenna looks miles off it this season and im not convinced at all about jacobs or fosu. Special mention to hilson who gets a lot of stick but worked his socks off last night for little reward.
We probably need a minimum of 3 quality players to come in.

15 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I have to agree but I’m still perplexed as to why we’ve started the season with such a weak squad. You could argue that we’re missing ToB because he’s been exposed in defence and had to make last ditch tackles and fouls to keep us in the game.

I understand where you're coming from but, even in hindsight, I can't really see what we could have done up to now.

The position we're in means we're shopping in a very limited market. There's very few part-time players in Scotland that will improve us and the ones that would are playing for clubs that have the finances to demand a decent fee. Therefore, we're gambling on unattached players from over the border. This season poses an additional challenge with Cove in the division, competing in the same market.

Central defence in particular would have been difficult to recruit because we couldn't guarantee games for any arrival.

13 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Thought our makeshift defence did well last night especially thomson then stewart for playing out of position. Mckenna looks miles off it this season and im not convinced at all about jacobs or fosu. Special mention to hilson who gets a lot of stick but worked his socks off last night for little reward.
We probably need a minimum of 3 quality players to come in.

He might have got more reward if he had stuck to his position up front and provided the team with an out ball.  Him working his socks off and running himself into the ground achieved nothing for us.

I think Jacobs and Fosu are improving.  They are starting to integrate into the team, and I can see what they can bring to the team.  

57 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Hamilton, ToB and Gold all out is why. That’s an extremely unfortunate thing to happen at the one time. Also as LL says any defender we sign knows they’re not first choice. 

LD signed for Alloa. Good luck to him

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

LD signed for Alloa. Good luck to him

Yes it is official , Sorry  Sons fans , hopefully he can kick on now 

surprised he left / was let go , But as some has said not good enough ?

maybe a new start will do him good hopefully .

The problem is so far none of the 7 players brought in have had any real positive impact. Wouldn't be overly critical of Gill or Allan until we have seen more of them. 

Hancock, Fosu, Jacobs, Corfe and Shanks all seem as if they have a bit of a job to do to be getting a regular run in the starting 11, it is however very early and they need to be given a chance and some have been played out of position. It is rare that none of your pre season signings hit the ground running straight away, Campbell has always sweared by "i wont bring in players who arent better than what ive got" , currently it seems this is exactly what he has done.

Also, last year's star performers like mckenna and Tam have been a bit out of sorts, coupled with the Nicky situation, it certainly hasnt been a great start.

Its early days though and confident we will get going soon.

15 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Sorry  Sons fans 

I don’t think many of us actually expected Donnelly to drop down to League 2 and I’m not convinced we even have enough left in the kitty to pay his wages without one of the higher earners moving on, which looked unlikely given the start we’ve had.

Yes it is official , Sorry  Sons fans , hopefully he can kick on now 
surprised he left / was let go , But as some has said not good enough ?
maybe a new start will do him good hopefully .

Luke Donkelly at Arbroath since July 2019.

63 league appearances.
2987 minutes played
5 goals. (All between Jul-Dec 2019)
Average of 597.4 minutes per goal.

Since Jan 2020 he has played 47 league games.
Played 2036 minutes.
Scored 0 goals.

Sums it up really.