Jump to content

The Arbroath Thread


Recommended Posts

Also has Patterson just vanished in dicks eyes? Just some bad decisions made since the league started. 

I would bet on Paterson or Shanks to have buried that chance Hilson missed.
We’re way short of quality in midfield and attack compared to last season. Neither of the loan Hamiltons have been replaced. I don’t think we can rely on our defence to get us through the season without the players in front of them to take the pressure off.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stan3600 said:


I thought McKenna was excellent.

Sorry Stan but I reckon he's lost his mojo.

Know he'd a cracking season last year  but not sure what's happening😐  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, timlichtie said:


I would bet on Paterson or Shanks to have buried that chance Hilson missed.
We’re way short of quality in midfield and attack compared to last season. Neither of the loan Hamiltons have been replaced. I don’t think we can rely on our defence to get us through the season without the players in front of them to take the pressure off.

Shanks is another one I don't get why he hasn't had an opportunity. Rather put the Donkey up top instead? 

Strong decisions need made before the window closes. I'm not sure Dick will make the right ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

 

Strong decisions need made before the window closes. I'm not sure Dick will make the right ones.

Strong stuff  !!

Let's see what develops over the next few weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aye we are in a relegation battle if

 

a) we don’t find someone to take chances, our goals tonight were jammy, the actual good chances we had and created we made a total mess of 

 

b) we do whatever we can to keep Bobby Linn off the park, how many times does he have to come on and start creating us chances before he becomes a nailed on starter? There’s wingers on the bench to come on for him now if he tires 

 

c) continue to play a centre half / left back at left midfield. It’s painful to watch and it was my fear when we signed him. Had a good game last week surprisingly….. at left back. 😂

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Jacobs looks like he has retired already.

Not sure there. 

He's got a good pedigree and still think he'll do a job 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye we are in a relegation battle if

 

a) we don’t find someone to take chances, our goals tonight were jammy, the actual good chances we had and created we made a total mess of 

 

b) we do whatever we can to keep Bobby Linn off the park, how many times does he have to come on and start creating us chances before he becomes a nailed on starter? There’s wingers on the bench to come on for him now if he tires 

 

c) continue to play a centre half / left back at left midfield. It’s painful to watch and it was my fear when we signed him. Had a good game last week surprisingly….. at left back. 😂

 

 

Linn before Hancock every day of the week for me  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Sorry Stan but I reckon he's lost his mojo.

Know he'd a cracking season last year  but not sure what's happening😐  

Be prepared to be shot down but I 100% agree with you. I don’t think McKenna has been at his best for a while now. Obviously he couldn’t keep up the ridiculously high standards he set early last season and no doubt Nouble and Dowds to a lesser extent, contributed but I feel he has lost a little of all his strengths - touch, sharpness, speed, physicality and never give up attitude. Seems lacking in confidence and perhaps fitness to me.

For the record, he’s in my top 10 favourite Arbroath players of all time and think he’ll find his form again but, at the moment, he’s off the pace imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tattie36 said:

Be prepared to be shot down but I 100% agree with you. I don’t think McKenna has been at his best for a while now. Obviously he couldn’t keep up the ridiculously high standards he set early last season and no doubt Nouble and Dowds to a lesser extent, contributed but I feel he has lost a little of all his strengths - touch, sharpness, speed, physicality and never give up attitude. Seems lacking in confidence and perhaps fitness to me.

For the record, he’s in my top 10 favourite Arbroath players of all time and think he’ll find his form again but, at the moment, he’s off the pace imo.

He's not off the pace, he's being singled out when attacking. Watch him off he ball and there will be someone on him 9/10 times. Last season we had either Nouble or Hamilton to distract back lines, now they don't have to bother and just mark him. 

Imo he needs dropped deeper. Playing him as the second striker does nothing for his capability to arrive late and create chances like he did before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jacobs mistake tonight for that 4th was so bad, like absolutely terrible but not writhing him off yet. That game was a million miles an hour tonight 

 

Hilson takes that chance and we win 3-2 it’s happy days but the problem is he was never ever scoring and that’ll continue all season so it’s not a one off thing. Same thing last week, this league is going to be cut throat 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Jacobs mistake tonight for that 4th was so bad, like absolutely terrible but not writhing him off yet. That game was a million miles an hour tonight 

 

Hilson takes that chance and we win 3-2 it’s happy days but the problem is he was never ever scoring and that’ll continue all season so it’s not a one off thing. Same thing last week, this league is going to be cut throat 

Jacobs along with Donnelly and Hilson should not be at the club once the window closes if the aim is avoiding relegation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

He's not off the pace, he's being singled out when attacking. Watch him off he ball and there will be someone on him 9/10 times. Last season we had either Nouble or Hamilton to distract back lines, now they don't have to bother and just mark him. 

Imo he needs dropped deeper. Playing him as the second striker does nothing for his capability to arrive late and create chances like he did before.

Completely agree with this.  As well as Nouble and Hamilton, we also had Dowds, who was a big handful too.  When these guys occupied defenders, McKenna had the freedom of the pitch.  In addition, Linn barely played last season, and Low was out for ages, so McKenna became our main man for set pieces.  That isnt the case this year.

I think he's playing as well as ever, and lest we forget  he won the penalty tonight!  Its just that he doesnt have the same freedom.

McKenna is the least of our problems!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SteveTheLichtie said:

Jacobs along with Donnelly and Hilson should not be at the club once the window closes if the aim is avoiding relegation.

Be prepared for disappointment. I would be astonished if any of them leave. Dick obviously rates them all very highly and they all have new contracts. If the last few years, dozens and dozens of games, dozens and dozens of clearcut misses and sub-par performances aren’t enough to have made him realise they will NEVER be good enough then I don’t know what will.

Edited by Tattie36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't want to criticise either Hilson or Donnelly.  It feels unfair.  Both absolutely try their best whenever they play.  Hilson is always a nuisance, buzzing about before miscontrolling the ball, and Donnelly is good for a couple league cup goals.  They never hide, and they always try their best.  So I get why Dick keeps them both.

They aren't up to what we need though.  They are not championship standard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...