The Arbroath Thread

Don’t know, probably not great. Just for the record I am not really defending Spence, if it was up to me based on what I’ve seen he would be punted. His signing at the time was very well received at the time, just hasn’t really worked out.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Spence was always just a poacher for me. Never thought he was ever pacey. Confidence and a bit of luck in the right team then it will all fall together for him I'm guessing. Hasn't fitted in or got that with us so far

IIRC correctly since the start of 2018 he's had 5 months at Raith and was unable to find the net (Raith up the top of the division), 6 months at Alloa in the Championship and was unable to find the net and then 4 months at us top of the division and was unable to find the net (in the league I mean).

I fully subscribe to the fact that fitness, match fitness and fitting into a team/ system are all vital things for a player, especially at our level. The worrying thing for me is it's really pushing it to suggest he's not been fit for 18 months, or match fit while playing games most weeks, or hasn't been able to fit into the system at 3 different clubs which would have to be the case to defend his record over that period of time.

I really hope Spence can offer us something next year, we really need him or Donnelly to step up massively as things stand, even if we do get in another quality striker. If he can rewind the clock 3/4 years he can offer a threat, but going by his more recent record I'm not convinced at this point in time.

The loan market is going to be huge for us, and I don't think we'll be able to fully judge where we're at right up until the end of September when the loan window closes.

What’s his record at the Championship level?

We’ve tried Spence a few times at Championship level. Hasn’t worked any time. Like you’ve said, the game just passes him by, he’s not quick enough for this league. You definitely can’t rely on him getting you double figures in this league!

Both times he’s been brought in as our number one option then played a back-up striker, and then eventually totally frozen out or in last season’s case, sold.

I love Spency and hope he does well wherever. Thought dropping down to you guys would revitalise him but maybe somewhere like East Fife would suit him better. Definitely not quite the player than banged in nearly thirty goals for us a few years back.

We’ve tried Spence a few times at Championship level. Hasn’t worked any time. Like you’ve said, the game just passes him by, he’s not quick enough for this league. You definitely can’t rely on him getting you double figures in this league!

Both times he’s been brought in as our number one option then played a back-up striker, and then eventually totally frozen out or in last season’s case, sold.

I love Spency and hope he does well wherever. Thought dropping down to you guys would revitalise him but maybe somewhere like East Fife would suit him better. Definitely not quite the player than banged in nearly thirty goals for us a few years back.

He was all set to sign for us last season, but Alloa nipped in at the 11th hour and offered him Championship Football, actually on the day he was supposed to sign, but at least he had the decency to still come in on the arranged day and explain his position, unlike some other Kelty bound players I could name!!!
Perhaps he could still be on DY's radar if we don't get Duggan back???

He was all set to sign for us last season, but Alloa nipped in at the 11th hour and offered him Championship Football, actually on the day he was supposed to sign, but at least he had the decency to still come in on the arranged day and explain his position, unlike some other Kelty bound players I could name!!!
Perhaps he could still be on DY's radar if we don't get Duggan back???

Aye, I remember that. He’s a top guy to be fair. Going by his social media postings, he’s all for and raring to go for another shot at the championship but wouldn’t be surprised if the cycle continues and he moves back down to East Fife in January ... [emoji38]

A Celtic XI coming to Gayfield on the 7th of July. Hopefully they bring a few first teamers
Very unlikely we will see any first team players as Celtic will be playing in the CL 1st Qualifying round on the 9th or 10th.

Wouldn't mind that Fraser Murray although no idea if we'd have a chance

Maybe?
Hibernian will not enter a team in next season's Reserve League and will instead organise their own fixture schedule and look to send youngsters out on loan. (Scotsman)

Maybe?
Hibernian will not enter a team in next season's Reserve League and will instead organise their own fixture schedule and look to send youngsters out on loan. (Scotsman)

Doubt he'll get much game time, Scott Allan going back too and think they're wanting McGeough back, the guy Mackie also looks good. Both can play out wide. Hearts have a number of young boys they'd be looking to loan out too I guess. Maybe Callum Morrison, he got a run in the team but dropped out not sure he's ready to start in the Premiership if we could say to these clubs that their young players would play week in week out in the Championship we might be able to secure a few decent loans.

Been ages since any announcements but go into June over the weekend and pre season will be starting in a couple of weeks so imagine there'll be some stuff soon

Everyone in the championship thread predicting arbroath to finish bottom or second bottom. Happy enough to go into the season as underdogs and hopefully prove a lot of people wrong, wouldn’t mind some signings or at least news.....