The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, CALDERON said:

You will be favourites to go down, but will do nowhere near as bad as Brechin. 

Brechin finished 4th and faced a dreadful John Hughes inspired clusterfuck in the semi of the playoffs. You will win this league by a country mile. 

We would be favourites to go down, mainly because of journos and fans that don’t have a clue would be the loudest and probably judge us on the Raith Rovers scale as small time. Fans? Full time status? History? 

We have already more than held our own against Championship opposition this season. 

Id be confident of staying up if our squad stayed the same as it is now with maybe the addition of a more dynamic left back. 

6 minutes ago, Mexico said:

We would be favourites to go down, mainly because of journos and fans that don’t have a clue would be the loudest and probably judge us on the Raith Rovers scale as small time. Fans? Full time status? History? 

We have already more than held our own against Championship opposition this season. 

Id be confident of staying up if our squad stayed the same as it is now with maybe the addition of a more dynamic left back. 

Which Championship sides have a poorer squad than Arbroath right now? 

Just a few thoughts. Looking back on last week's game I find it hard to imagine that team in the Championship and felt the same after the home defeat to Raith.  Against fit, fully committed teams who are tactically aware we have looked very much second best. 
Winning promotion this season would be a great achievement for the club, going up as champions even better, right up there with the promotions to the old first division under the legendary Albert Henderson's management.
However, with the players we have, we probably wouldn't fare any better than Brechin did last season. Realistically we only have  a handful of players who are capable of playing at the higher intensity against mainly full time teams for the whole season. Are the players brought in during the transfer window championship material or brought in for the short term to try to help win promotion?
Nothing is guaranteed in football, but as the season has progressed it has become more than just wishful thinking that we could win promotion, or even the league title. Still a lot of football to be played, but like buying a lottery ticket, we can dream about winning. Hopefully the club is looking ahead and starting to think about what would be needed to establish us as a Championship side and hopefully we can continue with the good form we have shown in the league up to now. A good thrashing of Stranraer wouldn't go amiss next week.

I don't see why we couldn't do similar to Alloa. Be nowhere near as bad as Brechin IF we go up.

A left back, another winger and a central midfield partner for Swankie is all we'd need in my opinion. We'd be an extremely attractive place for the better loanees in the country to come, young guys that would get a shit load of game time in the Championship.

Alloa have done brilliantly well with Hastie and Zanatta, they've also just got Jack Aitchison who on paper is another great loanee. Sure they have a young CB on loan too.

The rest of their squad looks similar to us. One poor game against Raith where we shuffled the back 4 about and started a striker who wasn't fully fit hardly a fair gauge.
My Saturday morning thoughts FWIW...

I'm like you 1320Lichtie, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't "do an alloa" very similar size clubs, grounds, fan base etc. And your board have backed managers to bring in players and do a job, which they both have at their respective levels.

That doesn't detract from the fact that when you go up, you WILL be favourites to come back down, that's no sleight on the club, that's just football.
When you do go up, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Dick backed enough to bring in 3 or 4 real decent pedigree players to have a right good go at staying up, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if in may 2020, Arbroath had solidified 6-8th place in the champ.

My Saturday morning thoughts FWIW...

I'm like you 1320Lichtie, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't "do an alloa" very similar size clubs, grounds, fan base etc. And your board have backed managers to bring in players and do a job, which they both have at their respective levels.

That doesn't detract from the fact that when you go up, you WILL be favourites to come back down, that's no sleight on the club, that's just football.
When you do go up, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Dick backed enough to bring in 3 or 4 real decent pedigree players to have a right good go at staying up, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if in may 2020, Arbroath had solidified 6-8th place in the champ.

Agree with it all but we 100 percent have a better fan base than Alloa, were similar to you, 750-800.

Apologies, I hadn't checked the figures regarding home crowds etc and just had in my head you were both between 600-700 tbh.

Alloas are pretty shite to be honest. Shows how well they're doing, unsure if it's more because of Mulraney or being well run or a bit of both.

Dumbarton spent 5 years in the Championship, with crowds/ resources I'd expect around the same level as ourselves.

At this point in time, we are on course to finish with a far superior points total to the one Alloa achieved last year, and they are currently more than holding their own this season.

Our aim over the next few years quite rightly is to become the best part time team in the country. Since we had our outstanding Division One season under John Brownlie, teams like Stranraer, Brechin, Alloa and Dumbarton have gone up and had differing levels of success, from narrowing going down to staying there and pushing for the top half. No disrespect to these clubs (apart from Brechin), but if they can do it there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that in our current position on and off the park we can't be doing the same.

We've spent the last 15 years jumping between the bottom two divisions while Brechin, a fucking village, have spent them jumping between this one and the one above. We seem to be the strongest we've been off the pitch in my time supporting the club, and on the pitch we're certainly not far off that either. I'd really hope that regardless of our current squad/ management, who will of course all leave at some point, we can re-position ourselves to where Brechin have been for the last 15 years and the village can spend eternity in the bottom division.

In terms of current squad, I think we probably have 10ish players who could step up (obviously not all starters) and we'd be needing to bring in at least half a dozen to what we have to give us a proper chance of staying up. I don't think that's a bad position to be in at all, and would have faith in the 10 or so to step up and faith in the management to get the others required on top of that to make us competitive.

In terms of current squad, I think we probably have 10ish players who could step up (obviously not all starters) and we'd be needing to bring in at least half a dozen to what we have to give us a proper chance of staying up. I don't think that's a bad position to be in at all, and would have faith in the 10 or so to step up and faith in the management to get the others required on top of that to make us competitive.
Agree with this, but our management teams experience should also help us