The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Can’t miss chances like that and expect to win, 

The 3 subs at once killed our momentum as well,

Mckenna and Little best for us and didn’t deserve to loose today.

Agree never a fan of all 3 subs at once, cannae be missing the chances we did. 

Amazed they didn't have a player sent off thought they clearly camr to kick us off the park and time waste.

How Stranraer had 11 players on the pitch at the end of the game was down to incompetent refereeing. He must have forgotten to put his yellow and red cards in his pocket before kick off or he surely would have booked Stranraer players in the first half, certainly Hamill at least for his "tackle" on Bobby Linn. Or maybe one of the other officials reminded him of the rules football during the half time break.

Stranraer obviously thought McKenna was a danger and proceeded to kick lumps out of him as often as they could and Hamill continued his violent playing style throughout the second half. Their keeper is probably a leading light in his local amateur dramatic society judging by his acting of a near death scene and miraculous recovery near the end of the game. Could well have been booked for time wasting even in the first half.

We hardly won a header in the Stranraer box against their big defence but continued crossing high balls throughout the game. Hard to tell for sure from where I was standing but thought Jamieson might have come for the cross that they scored from, but maybe see it better on the highlights.

Disappointing to lose against such a side that the Sporting Post used to euphemistically call physical, meaning a bunch of dirty b******s, but now need to concentrate on keeping up our good form in the league.

Hope Stranraer get an away tie against someone like Wick Academy, Brora Rangers or Fraserburgh in the next round, if any are still in the cup.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

4 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

How Stranraer had 11 players on the pitch at the end of the game was down to incompetent refereeing. He must have forgotten to put his yellow and red cards in his pocket before kick off or he surely would have booked Stranraer players in the first half, certainly Hamill at least for his "tackle" on Bobby Linn. Or maybe one of the other officials reminded him of the rules football during the half time break.

Stranraer obviously thought McKenna was a danger and proceeded to kick lumps out of him as often as they could and Hamill continued his violent playing style throughout the second half. Their keeper is probably a leading light in his local amateur dramatic society judging by his acting of a near death scene and miraculous recovery near the end of the game. Could well have been booked for time wasting even in the first half.

We hardly won a header in the Stranraer box against their big defence but continued crossing high balls throughout the game. Hard to tell for sure from where I was standing but thought Jamieson might have come for the cross that they scored from, but maybe see it better on the highlights.

Disappointing to lose against such a side that the Sporting Post used to euphemistically call physical, meaning a bunch of dirty b******s, but now need to concentrate on keeping up our good form in the league.

Hope Stranraer get an away tie against someone like Wick Academy, Brora Rangers or Fraserburgh in the next round, if any are still in the cup.

Sore loser

Stranraer turned up and did what they had to do to win. We can’t complain about that. As Iv said we only have ourselves to blame for not putting the game to bed earlier. Wallace had 2 great opportunities in each half and Denholm missed from under the bar.

I agree, being unable to convert our chances and the 3 subs at once were our downfall today, stranraer were poor and dirty but at the end of the day got the job done. The league shows a truer reflection of the teams.

Im not sure if there were a few new fans down yesterday or existing ones had moved into the stand behind the goal but some of the shouts (“wallace is a waste of space” and “we’re shite”) were embarrassing coming off the back of one of our best ever performances and we’re 10 points clear in the league ffs

I agree, being unable to convert our chances and the 3 subs at once were our downfall today, stranraer were poor and dirty but at the end of the day got the job done. The league shows a truer reflection of the teams.

Im not sure if there were a few new fans down yesterday or existing ones had moved into the stand behind the goal but some of the shouts (“wallace is a waste of space” and “we’re shite”) were embarrassing coming off the back of one of our best ever performances and we’re 10 points clear in the league ffs

Football fans [emoji85]

Linn had a brilliant chance too by the way, know he is universally loved by us all but he cut back on himself about 3 times when he had a clear one on his right, can only imagine the reaction if it had been Kader or something getting up to that

Thought everyone played pretty well. Just one of they games... that's 3rd defeat of the season... it's December next week.

Sore loser

To be fair think he's just seething at Hanmill, that was shite from him today, know he likes to play up on it but the tackle he put in on Linn towards the end of the second half was totally needless and unnecessary.

It was like he was trying to get himself sent off in that 5 minutes, he should've been off too that was a yellow in the first half. Guy thinks he's a hard man

Saying that though class win for you guys, had few boys out too, draw is a bit pish but better than no being in it

Just watching the highlights and seeing the chances, The miss from  Denholm is clearly the worst but Wallace and Linn were guilty for bad misses too, 

I stick by what I said, the 3 subs at once didn’t help us, I would of brought Doris on but Kader and Whatley took some creativity from us, 

Overall Stranraer played to there strength and are in next round of cup, Sure from a clubs point of view a cup run could of helped in a final way and allowed us to strengthen in January for 2nd half of season 

9 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Just watching the highlights and seeing the chances, The miss from  Denholm is clearly the worst but Wallace and Linn were guilty for bad misses too, 

I stick by what I said, the 3 subs at once didn’t help us, I would of brought Doris on but Kader and Whatley took some creativity from us, 

Overall Stranraer played to there strength and are in next round of cup, Sure from a clubs point of view a cup run could of helped in a final way and allowed us to strengthen in January for 2nd half of season 

Still think you are the best team in the division and will win it at a canter

Sore one to take yesterday, i do not think we played badly but 3 if not 4 clear cut chances and not hitting target was very poor by our players.

They won everything in the air as well so we should have changed tactics, also their keeper not to have least be booked and Hamill to stay on the park was a disgrace, it looked from the off they were playing for a draw and they were time-wasting from the 1st minute, they came to do a job and done it even although their tactics were shocking.

Never agreed with the 3 subs either, the only one that improved us was Doris, Whately is a defensive midfielder whereas McCord (who had a good game) was more of a threat and Kader was partly to fault for their goal as he was easily brushed aside and lost the ball to their player who crossed it for the goal, my only sub would have been to bring Doris on for Denham and put McKenna out wide.

I thought McKenna, TOB, Little and Gold and Thomson were our best players, one thing the game was crying out for Swankie i am guessing he was on the bench injured just making the numbers up?   

I do remember when I first went to Gayfield you had to pay extra for the Stand. Think it was 50p for a wooden seat but there was a box of cushions at the top of the stairs. I only ever sat in the stand for reserve league games on a Monday night when it cost £2 for Adult and child gate £1

Thought mccord was really good on saturday, can only imagine he was taken off with fatigue! Its a real breath of fresh air to have someone so 2 footed, pinging 40-50 yard passes with either foot. Would be great to get him fit and in the team but i agree u cant have him & gav in the middle unless it was a 3

I do remember when I first went to Gayfield you had to pay extra for the Stand. Think it was 50p for a wooden seat but there was a box of cushions at the top of the stairs. I only ever sat in the stand for reserve league games on a Monday night when it cost £2 for Adult and child gate £1

When did the reserve games get moved to a Monday nights, I remember reserve games were reverse fixtures of the first team games, played on a Saturday afternoons