The Arbroath Thread

IF we signed Carreiro, I make that a squad of 23 players we will have taking a wage from the club....

Having a look at the squad, I think it's safe to assume we have the biggest squad in the division, probably the biggest budget in the division, and therefore ultimately if we don't finish right up the top end of the division it has to be viewed as a bit of a failure, no? I think if we had a squad of 16 first team players supplimented by the youths we had last season (who obviously would be on a very low wage) we would have been able to challenge for the top 4, so now with a wage budget a fair whack higher than I anticipated and a squad big enough to field two teams surely the expectations must be a good bit higher now....

Personally coming into this season I was always happy enough with a top 4 finish, but for the reasons above I think we now have to be aiming to win the division, and anything else is a bit of a let down to be honest. Never thought I'd have been saying that a month ago :lol:

It's interesting that the club are happy enough for us to have such a big squad. As I have said previously, if we had a few of our own youth team making first team appearences, we would actually MAKE money from payments by the SPFL for giving youth players a chance. As it is currently, we can only play 14 players a week (11 + 3 subs) so there will be 6/7 guys picking up a decent wage each week without making an appearence on the Saturday..... I don't want to bang on about it and come across negatively, but in the longer term we WILL regret scrapping the youth teams in my opinion.

IF we signed Carreiro, I make that a squad of 23 players we will have taking a wage from the club....

Having a look at the squad, I think it's safe to assume we have the biggest squad in the division, probably the biggest budget in the division, and therefore ultimately if we don't finish right up the top end of the division it has to be viewed as a bit of a failure, no? I think if we had a squad of 16 first team players supplimented by the youths we had last season (who obviously would be on a very low wage) we would have been able to challenge for the top 4, so now with a wage budget a fair whack higher than I anticipated and a squad big enough to field two teams surely the expectations must be a good bit higher now....

Personally coming into this season I was always happy enough with a top 4 finish, but for the reasons above I think we now have to be aiming to win the division, and anything else is a bit of a let down to be honest. Never thought I'd have been saying that a month ago :lol:

It's interesting that the club are happy enough for us to have such a big squad. As I have said previously, if we had a few of our own youth team making first team appearences, we would actually MAKE money from payments by the SPFL for giving youth players a chance. As it is currently, we can only play 14 players a week (11 + 3 subs) so there will be 6/7 guys picking up a decent wage each week without making an appearence on the Saturday..... I don't want to bang on about it and come across negatively, but in the longer term we WILL regret scrapping the youth teams in my opinion.[/

quote]

Carreiro won't be getting a wage, we have this partnership with Dundee now and they'll just be wanting the guy to get game time. Same with Zoubhadi. Give Carreiro a google, seems like he would be quality.

Chris Scott also left now and I've heard how much McWalter and Birse are on, a few pies would cover their wage.

We have

Crawford

Morrison

Lindsay

Little

Fisher

Travis

Johnstone

Stewart

Hunter

McBride

Linn

Nicoll

Wallace

McWalter

Birse

McManus

Smith

Murray

Buchan

Lots of young lads there who won't be on much.

Carreiro deal going through then?

Carreiro won't be getting a wage, we have this partnership with Dundee now and they'll just be wanting the guy to get game time. Same with Zoubhadi. Give Carreiro a google, seems like he would be quality.

Chris Scott also left now and I've heard how much McWalter and Birse are on, a few pies would cover their wage.

We have

Crawford

Morrison

Lindsay

Little

Fisher

Travis

Johnstone

El Zubaidi

Lowdon

Stewart

Hunter

McBride

Linn

Nicoll

Wallace

McWalter

Birse

Whatley

McManus

Smith

Murray

Buchan

Lots of young lads there who won't be on much.

Carreiro deal going through then?

What makes you think we won't be paying any wage towards Carreiro or El Zubaidi's wages? The Carreiro situation I assume you mean the deal with have regarding their u20 games being played at Gayfield? I would have thought that would have been negotiatied a month or so ago and therefore this would be seperate from that? Obviously this may not be the case, I'm just speculating. With El Zubaidi - I can't see Hamilton paying 100% of his wages.... it's very rare for players at this level to be loaned out to other clubs with no contribution being made to the parent club towards their wages. Again - rare - but it could well be the case, I just think it unlikely :)

Totally agree regarding McWalter and Birse - but that still leaves us with 20 players (21 with Carreiro) who will be receiving a decent ish wage. Obviously guys like Lindsay, Wallace and Smith will also be on wages towards the lower end of the scale also, but the rest I would expect to be on first team wages of varying amounts.

Knowing our board, it's extremely, extremely unlikely that we'd allow a manager to spend over the allocated budget at the start of the season, so I'm not at all worried about that, but I don't think a club like ours (or anyone at this level) can afford to carry a squad of 20 + first team players every season.

Do you agree that looking over things, given we have the biggest squad of first team players in the division, and based on that and the players we possess potentially the biggest budget that as things stand, it is probably a failure if we aren't right up the top end of the league and if we were to fail to get promotion?

I think Dundee/Hamilton will be over the moon just to have their players playing at the weekend. If we are paying anything towards them it will be absolutely minimal seeing as we only get their services for 1 (don't think they train with us aswell?) Saturday a week?

The squad is very big but the board will never spend over the odds and we have so many guys getting either their 1st chance proper at this level and a lot of players who are also very young.

Smith(19) Murray (22 step up from Juniors) Whatley (24 step up from Juniors) Buchan (20) Stewart (19) Wallace (23 from Juniors) McWalter (19) Birse (19) Travis (21) Lowdon (22) Hunter (21) Lindsay (20) Fisher (22) Zoubhadi (19) all fall into that category. I can't imagine that they will be on anything much at all.

Morrison, Crawford, Johnstone, Little, Nicoll, McManus, Linn are the experienced heads and is say Linn/McManus/Nicoll/Crawford will be our higher earners?

Maybe this is what Moore goes for? Big squad with youthful guys getting their first real chance backed up with experienced heads to get through the full campaign?

As for winning the league being the standard because of the squad I wouldn't totally agree purely down to what our squad is actually like. It should hopefully be enough to see us through all our games without noticing any injuries/suspensions too much though.

It looks like we have a huge squad but just going by the places we have visited and the teams that have come to Gayfield I don't think we have the largest.

Queen's Park for one had a squad list on the team sheet that was larger than ours, and I think Clyde are about 20 with I know East Fife making another loan signing this week takes them up to about 24 if you go on the squad lists pinned at the top of this forum.

Last year we used a total of 31 players over the season with a few other players who were on the bench but never made it onto the field. The squad this year from last had changed dramatically in age. Also with Shagger our second oldest player, yet it can be argued has the highest work rate off the ball then anyone else in the team. Can you imagine if everyone ran and chased as much as he did. He is such a good role model for the younger players.

Also it seems withe warm up before the games Todd Lumsden seems to focus much more on the fitness side of things, and I think the way the games have been going so far when we have been scoring it already paying off if we can contain teams then really up the pressure as the final 15 minutes take their toll on the opposition.

Connor Birse 19
Kevin Buchan 20
David Crawford 29
Aldin El-Zubaidi 19
Ross Fisher 21
Adam Hunter 21
Craig Johnstone 29
Johnny Lindsay 21
Bobby Linn 28
Ricky Little 25
Jordan Lowdon 22
Scott McBride 24
Paul McManus 31
Kieran McWalter 18
Scott Morrison 32
Simon Murray 22
Kevin Nicoll 28
Jack Smith 19
Kieran Stewart 20
Michael Travis 21
Michael Wallace 25
Mark Whatley 24
Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps

I think Dundee/Hamilton will be over the moon just to have their players playing at the weekend. If we are paying anything towards them it will be absolutely minimal seeing as we only get their services for 1 (don't think they train with us aswell?) Saturday a week?

The squad is very big but the board will never spend over the odds and we have so many guys getting either their 1st chance proper at this level and a lot of players who are also very young.

Smith(19) Murray (22 step up from Juniors) Whatley (24 step up from Juniors) Buchan (20) Stewart (19) Wallace (23 from Juniors) McWalter (19) Birse (19) Travis (21) Lowdon (22) Hunter (21) Lindsay (20) Fisher (22) Zoubhadi (19) all fall into that category. I can't imagine that they will be on anything much at all.

Morrison, Crawford, Johnstone, Little, Nicoll, McManus, Linn are the experienced heads and is say Linn/McManus/Nicoll/Crawford will be our higher earners?

Maybe this is what Moore goes for? Big squad with youthful guys getting their first real chance backed up with experienced heads to get through the full campaign?

As for winning the league being the standard because of the squad I wouldn't totally agree purely down to what our squad is actually like. It should hopefully be enough to see us through all our games without noticing any injuries/suspensions too much though.

While I see your point, if this was the case why don’t clubs are our level just sign 5 (the maximum allowed) loan players at the start of the season on season long loans? It would essentially be 5 free players for the season! With all of our players on year long contracts, aside from Bobby Linn, there would be no difference. We’d just get 5 free, young players who’re training full time at their parent club. That being the case surely every part time club in Scotland would be clamouring to get these free, full time loan players signed up?!

I’d be amazed if any loan players we had didn’t train at least once a week with us, if they didn’t how would we ever do any tactical training? You can’t prepare a back 4 for Saturday’s game when one of them isn’t ever there!!

Out of the guys we’ve signed, I wouldn’t say Jack Smith, Jordan Lowdon or Adam Hunter are getting their first chance at this level, all 3 have played games at other teams at a higher level than we’re at currently. Kevin Buchan also got game time at this level last season, but of course was behind Andy Rodgers and Rory McAllister in the pecking order at Peterhead.

I don’t want to start placing where I think players in our wage structure or hypothesising over figures as I think that’s a bit poor to do, but I would say that out of your list of names there are several that were playing at a higher level than we are currently and a good few that aren’t based on the east coast, which makes me think they wouldn’t sign up for peanuts.

In comparison to other squads, do you not think we have the biggest squad, the most depth to our squad, probably the biggest budget and some of the better players in the division? In terms of squad size - I'm referring to first team players as oppossed to including youths. In my opinion, we don't have any youths currently, we just have first team players, as we don't have a youth system. I don't think a player can be counted as a youth player if there is no youth team, and therefore no games for them to actually play in.

You would then be in a pickle say if you used all 5 loan signings and say both keepers sustained serious injuries after transfer window closed. You would then be scrambling to see if any keeper was still not registered with a club.

Does a season long loan not count as say 2 of those 5 spots? I thought when there was a chance of getting Lee Erwin back before his injury that would have used up another one of our allotted 5 spots? or perhaps that was because he returned and was then going to return. We had Erwin, Donaldson, Doris, McIntosh and McGeever last season as our 5 loans deals. I think McIntosh has been on trial with Brechin.

We have a strong squad, and no doubt we will suffer injuries and suspensions as winter creeps in. As long as harmony is kept ( although I'm sure it must be frustrating for the younger players) within the squad and it keeps everyone on their toes knowing they can get dropped if they don't perform seems like a good formula for keeping the momentum we have and challenging when May comes around.

Nope, 2nd round of the Scottish Cup and there are some really tough teams we could face, and some really, really far away trips.

We face someone from this list. Draw at 3.30pm
Auchinleck Talbot
Hurlford United
Cove Rangers
Culter
Nairn County
Edinburgh City
Forres Mechanics
Fraserburgh or Linlitgow Rose
Dalbeatie Star
Gretna 2008
Huntly