The Arbroath Thread

On 21/04/2024 at 17:52, RedLichtie86 said:

Bird certainly has the attributes to be a good striker. But seems to lack consistency as you never what sort of player that will show up to a game.

One that is quick and tidy with the ball at his feet looking to take a powerful shot at goal. Able to hold off most players and bring others in

or

A player that doesnt look that interested in making the run, holding off the player and sluggish.

We have played pish so that has probably had an effect on him over all. In a better team he should do well. But if your team is at a low point for too long he may just start to drop off.

Talking about pish , why are the toilets not fixed .

2 hours ago, liferlichtie said:

Heard from a good source Mckenna for Falkirk

Heard that also but hopefully that does not happen.

Mikey McKenna is ONE player i would hope we would push the boat out for even at 33 years old, he is a massive player for the Red Lichties and yes he has not had a great season but which (apart from Scottie Stewart) AFC player has had a good season?

Anybody that read his article in yesterday's Courier could feel his love for Arbroath FC and everybody connected with the club. 

McKenna would be a stand out in a decent team in Division 1 and good be the difference of us having a good season or a great season that is how much i would be pushing to get him re-signed at Gayfield.

I would be amazed if at 33 years old he would sign a part-time contract to go to full-time Falkirk, i have no doubt he could hold his own with any of their players but it must be strange if your fellow full-time team mates get dropped for a part-time player so not sure how that would work or might cause hassle in the dressing room??

AND if he ends up at East Fife i will just shake my head in disbelief.

Smokies & Wine 36-0. 

25 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Heard that also but hopefully that does not happen.

Mikey McKenna is ONE player i would hope we would push the boat out for even at 33 years old, he is a massive player for the Red Lichties and yes he has not had a great season but which (apart from Scottie Stewart) AFC player has had a good season?

Anybody that read his article in yesterday's Courier could feel his love for Arbroath FC and everybody connected with the club. 

McKenna would be a stand out in a decent team in Division 1 and good be the difference of us having a good season or a great season that is how much i would be pushing to get him re-signed at Gayfield.

I would be amazed if at 33 years old he would sign a part-time contract to go to full-time Falkirk, i have no doubt he could hold his own with any of their players but it must be strange if your fellow full-time team mates get dropped for a part-time player so not sure how that would work or might cause hassle in the dressing room??

AND if he ends up at East Fife i will just shake my head in disbelief.

Smokies & Wine 36-0. 

I think he would see it as one last chance to maybe play in the Premiership, Falkirk a big club too - it would be appealing but like you I would love to see him stay another couple years.

Also the Courier seem to have stopped putting articles online, cannot find this one either.

The same information in the Sun (it was on the bar, I didn’t buy the Sun). Saying that he had offers and would decide in the Summer.

It’s very hard to see him getting a better part time offer particularly with training now in Edinburgh. East Fife would need to stretch their pay structure and we know how badly that can affect the dressing room atmosphere. It could only be someone like Alloa of Falkirk and again, it’s hard to see how he would be better off. A huge favourite at Gayfield, would he risk a move at 33?

One thing that’s never sat comfortably with me is this idea that half of our squad are chomping at the bit to go and join the Campbells at East Fife.

I got the impression that the players were just as scunnered with Dick as the fans were towards the end. Pretty common knowledge (isn’t it?) that he was a big part of Bobby and others leaving?

19 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

One thing that’s never sat comfortably with me is this idea that half of our squad are chomping at the bit to go and join the Campbells at East Fife.

I got the impression that the players were just as scunnered with Dick as the fans were towards the end. Pretty common knowledge (isn’t it?) that he was a big part of Bobby and others leaving?

I had these fears 

But Hamilton staying has made me change my mind 

I don’t think it’s anything to do with money either it seems a bit far fetched for me to think EF couldn’t match or atleast get very close to the wages we could give certain players especially with the Campbells there 

I feel like a lot of them probably feel similarly to us, love the guy but he had turned into an absolute gobshite and had seriously lost the plot by the end 

The Bobby comments never sat well with me at all and can’t imagine the players would’ve been too fond of them either. The fact that the fans singing a players name was ‘getting on the managers tits’ is just a bizarre thing to say 

It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on next year

Edited by 1320Lichtie