The Arbroath Thread

The squad is looking good, and with different types of midfielders it looks like that our style of play will be able to adapt to different situations. We only have 19 players, so with a matchday squad of 18 it’s still a small compact squad. There has already been goals from midfield from Reid, Gold, Sergio and I’m sure that was seen as a weakness last season as apart from Bobby, there wasn’t that many apart from a surge from Dylan in his first loan outing.

The team already seems far more physical and have lots of height with – Hay, Munro, Clarke, Sergio, Stewart, Coult and Grehan which again we have been lacking in recent years. Reid and Gold look good with the ball at their feet going forward, then Whatley, Lowdon, Clarke and McWalter are all able to play in defence if needed.

I’d like to see another striker come in (maybe that’s where we use a loan) but I’m looking forward to Saturday. Dunfermline look like a very different side to the team we played two seasons ago, so hopefully a very good game to look forward too!

Wee Josh will be back too I guess!

Got a bit of the Albion Rovers from last year about us.

Same formation, big physical back 4 and GK, 1 holding midfielder, 1 central midfielder that'll link the play, 3 creative guys behind a bigger less mobile striker. Plenty of guys that can cover and play in different roles.

As someone mentioned above I think all we are really needing now is a striker. Squad of 20 with the emergency loans to use if we get any bad injuries.

Have to say I'm very happy with what Lumsden and Hislop have done. No complaints at all. Fingers crossed it's a good season. Looking forward to it.

Dayle robertson signed for forfar and scored a hat-trick on his debut all be it v a junior side. Disappointing to see another promising youngster not kept on/resigned

he chose not to re-sign

he chose not to re-sign

How do you know he was offered a contract anyway? I'd imagine it was a straight battle between him and Hester. A hat trick for Forfar under 20s against some 2nd division Aberdeen junior side in a pre season friendly is hardly worth bothering about anyway.

Hester played 120 minutes v Dundee United, Exeter and Fraserburgh and scored 4. Happy to have him instead.

How do you know he was offered a contract anyway? I'd imagine it was a straight battle between him and Hester. A hat trick for Forfar under 20s against some 2nd division Aberdeen junior side in a pre season friendly is hardly worth bothering about anyway.

Hester played 120 minutes v Dundee United, Exeter and Fraserburgh and scored 4. Happy to have him instead.

no sure Hestor is a better player, Hestor is a more natural goal scorer, but I think Robertson is a better footballer, you are right, I don't know if he was offered a contract at the end of his 1st spell at Gayfield, but I assume he was, if not I stand corrected

And? Folk greeting we never signed Robertson after he scored in a friendly match?

According to Forfars thread he might not even be signed yet just on trial.

Well you are playing down robertsons hat trick because it's only a friendly yet you are playing up Hester scoring 4 which were also in a series of friendly matches.. You have had a history of calling Robertson shite etc...

Well you are playing down robertsons hat trick because it's only a friendly yet you are playing up Hester scoring 4 which were also in a series of friendly matches.. You have had a history of calling Robertson shite etc...

Yeah I'm bringing up Hesters 4 in friendlies in response to someone going on about Robertson getting 3 in a friendly... I'm not playing it up. It's clearly a comparison.

Surely it was between Robertson and Hester to win a deal, after all as far as I'm aware they'd both been training from the very start, long before Robertson went anywhere near Forfar, and Lumsden and Hislop chose to go with Hester.

Everyone can have their opinions but moaning at the club for not keeping on/signing an ex 'promising youngster' when they don't know the circumstances doesn't seem fair?

If a guy has been training with us all pre season i find it hard to believe we didnt have the chance to sign him.

Anyway my point is im always disappointed when we let a promising local lad slip through our fingers, same with alot of the guys from the u20s who did so well a while back