The Arbroath Thread

Nope, 2nd round of the Scottish Cup and there are some really tough teams we could face, and some really, really far away trips.

We face someone from this list. Draw at 3.30pm
Cove Rangers
Culter
Nairn County
Edinburgh City
Forres Mechanics
Dalbeatie Star
Gretna 2008
Huntly
Turriff United
East Kilbride
Threave Rovers
Banks O'Dee
Whitehill Welfare
Inverurie Loco Works (SHFL Runners Up)
Stirling University (SLFL Runners Up)

Everyone Arbroath fan I've spoken to seems to be delighted with the draw......am I the only one who's disappointed?! There's 15 teams - highlighted above - who in my opinion it would have been excellent to get an away draw against for the away day, whereas now we have a game against a team we're already playing 4 times this season, and at home which is also slightly disappointing. At least out of the 9 other league teams we could have played, this is the best one.

No-one else of the opinion that an away day to a ground we've never been to or we don't get to often would be a far better draw than another game against a team we'll play 4 times this season?

Everyone Arbroath fan I've spoken to seems to be delighted with the draw......am I the only one who's disappointed?! There's 15 teams - highlighted above - who in my opinion it would have been excellent to get an away draw against for the away day, whereas now we have a game against a team we're already playing 4 times this season, and at home which is also slightly disappointing. At least out of the 9 other league teams we could have played, this is the best one.

No-one else of the opinion that an away day to a ground we've never been to or we don't get to often would be a far better draw than another game against a team we'll play 4 times this season?

Its Montrose!!!

Aye, but we played them two weeks ago, now play them again in two weeks, then AGAIN three weeks after that! Of course we then play them on New Year and around March or so (unfortunately our eighth last game, so unless we're winning every single week up until that point there will be no repeat of four years ago ;):( ).

I know it's always enjoyable playing Montrose, but do you not think it takes away from the occaision somewhat when we play them 3 times 2 months, then again a few months later?! With the league structure we have if you're in the same division as a club you're already playing them 4 times a season, whereas the clubs I listed above are teams we've never played, or grounds we've never played at (or played there once/ twice, certainly never played any of the teams four times in a season!!). Personally I think it's far more enjoyable going somewhere we haven't been before and/ or playing a team we haven't played before.... or even playing a team in the SPFL who we won't be visiting this season (obviously not possible in the second round) before I'd want to play anyone in our own division.

If we were in different divisions to Montrose and/ or hadn't played them in a few years this would be an excellent draw, but as it is there are literally a dozen better draws we could have had, both in terms of on the pitch and off the pitch ;)

Aye, but we played them two weeks ago, now play them again in two weeks, then AGAIN three weeks after that! Of course we then play them on New Year and around March or so (unfortunately our eighth last game, so unless we're winning every single week up until that point there will be no repeat of four years ago ;):( ).

I know it's always enjoyable playing Montrose, but do you not think it takes away from the occaision somewhat when we play them 3 times 2 months, then again a few months later?! With the league structure we have if you're in the same division as a club you're already playing them 4 times a season, whereas the clubs I listed above are teams we've never played, or grounds we've never played at (or played there once/ twice, certainly never played any of the teams four times in a season!!). Personally I think it's far more enjoyable going somewhere we haven't been before and/ or playing a team we haven't played before.... or even playing a team in the SPFL who we won't be visiting this season (obviously not possible in the second round) before I'd want to play anyone in our own division.

If we were in different divisions to Montrose and/ or hadn't played them in a few years this would be an excellent draw, but as it is there are literally a dozen better draws we could have had, both in terms of on the pitch and off the pitch ;)

Woouldnt have minded an away trip to the back of beyond but theres always potential for that if we get through, right now im just looking forward to hitting the pub for 11 and hopefully watching us fire a few past them before the away return on the 25th, the New Year game will be superb, be the kind of day where everybody is in the pub and off on holiday on good form. Looking forward to it, although I wouldnt of minded another draw I think we have got it pretty good, hopefully rake in some extra wonga for the club too.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats everyones opinion of the new signings so far? I personally think great credit has to go to sheerin (and possibly who may have been his scout) for the 2 junior signings of whatley and murray, they shown already there more than capable of stepping up. Crawford has been a good solid signing with stewart and hunter in the middle of the park looking good too. Yet to be convinced about johnstone and mcbride. Buchan hasnt impressed me and i havent seen jack smith or lowdon yet. Both loan signings look good too.

Dylan Carriero called up by the full Canada squad. Genuine question - who was the last player to be called up to a full international squad while playing for Arbroath if any?

Ned Doig! 1 cap as a GK for Scotland. Carreiro will go in the history books if he gets a game. :lol:

El-Zubaidi might not be available either, but he tweeted bobby linn earlier saying Hamilton were thinking about it. I've hear kev Nicolls unavailable any basis to that?

Why would they be thinking about it surely we should just get him we have him till January? I seen the tweets aswell like just wondering what's going on. Ricky Little will have a chance if he's not there....

Why would they be thinking about it surely we should just get him we have him till January? I seen the tweets aswell like just wondering what's going on. Ricky Little will have a chance if he's not there....

With his loan ending in January, Hamilton may want to keep him as an option for later rounds of the cup when he is back at New Douglas Park. Fairly common, it hadn't actually crossed my mind until now though :lol: I'd presume Dundee will be doing the same with Carreiro, international duty or not I don't think they'd allow us to play him. If I remember correctly, the 3rd round of the cup falls into the period Carreiro is on loan and I fully expect if we do get through he wouldn't be avaialble for that game.

Also why would Nicoll not be fit or available? This is like a nightmare! :lol:

Maybe work? Looks like we may get to see Little and Travis getting a chance and Hunter in for Carreiro.

A draw on the day and we would go to Links park next Saturday meaning the Annan game would be pushed back to another date.

Edited by Smokie_Bacon_crisps