The Arbroath Thread

14 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Everyone over 50 was obviously in Rangers

This is nonsense - I can assure you that Arbroath have long term fans over the age of 50 who don’t support the ugly sisters . There is nothing better than seeing them both get beat - also lots of guys in their 30s 40s and 50s wear Arbroath tops ( visit Gayfield next season and you will see lots of people wearing the colour maroon - including old duffers ).

5 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

This is nonsense - I can assure you that Arbroath have long term fans over the age of 50 who don’t support the ugly sisters . There is nothing better than seeing them both get beat - also lots of guys in their 30s 40s and 50s wear Arbroath tops ( visit Gayfield next season and you will see lots of people wearing the colour maroon - including old duffers ).

Tbf I think it was tongue in cheek 

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I worked in Arbroath for 5 years and could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I saw anyone in Arbroath gear.

Was down in Saturday and looks like nearly every kid was wearing a kit and a few adults too. Good to see and the shop in the Abbeygate looked busy too.

Everyone over 50 was obviously in Rangers gear but that will take another 5-10 years of natural selection to fade out.

It’s magic I love it 

9 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

You never heard of sarcasm you grade A idiot? Imagine getting upset about that clearly tongue in cheek comment. 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I worked in Arbroath for 5 years and could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I saw anyone in Arbroath gear.

Was down in Saturday and looks like nearly every kid was wearing a kit and a few adults too. Good to see and the shop in the Abbeygate looked busy too.

Everyone over 50 was obviously in Rangers gear but that will take another 5-10 years of natural selection to fade out.

The club posted photos of the Q outside the shop on Saturday for the release of the new home shirt. It’s not particularly my cup of tea but it will still do a roaring trade. 

10 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

3 have ‘agreed to sign’. 

IMG_5023.jpeg

Alloa have announced that they’re waiting to announce 6 players when the registrations open 

With the way we worded our update about how the ‘hard work had begun months ago’ I expect there are already deals in place for guys too and we will also be waiting until Saturday to maybe announce them

Not sure why the situation is different with the 3 we have so far. Maybe because their clubs had announced them as away before we announced them.

They also all managed to get up to Arbroath and Gayfield for signing / photos etc and maybe it’s not been possible with others

41 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Alloa have announced that they’re waiting to announce 6 players when the registrations open 

With the way we worded our update about how the ‘hard work had begun months ago’ I expect there are already deals in place for guys too and we will also be waiting until Saturday to maybe announce them

Not sure why the situation is different with the 3 we have so far. Maybe because their clubs had announced them as away before we announced them.

They also all managed to get up to Arbroath and Gayfield for signing / photos etc and maybe it’s not been possible with others

Just to throw a slight spanner in the works here, one of Alloas new signings is Kurtis Roberts from us and we announced him in our released list. 

In all honesty the thing I'm most excited about right now is when we use trialists in pre season games in late June/ early July, especially if they're from outwith the country - that'll see some proper heads gone posts a month odd before the season properly starts. ;) 

13 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

In all honesty the thing I'm most excited about right now is when we use trialists in pre season games in late June/ early July, especially if they're from outwith the country - that'll see some proper heads gone posts a month odd before the season properly starts. ;) 

Mind the French lads that played away to cove and buggered off at Half Time? 

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

image.thumb.png.1dcb3bd9ad899efd44caf79719e1e8ce.pngDick is no longer the longest serving manager in the SPFL. 

Ye, noticed Div tweeted something about this after Spartans won the play off 

1 hour ago, TheRoundO said:

image.thumb.png.1dcb3bd9ad899efd44caf79719e1e8ce.pngDick is no longer the longest serving manager in the SPFL. 

That’s quite a scary set of stats. Aside from the 5 longest serving, it shows that you’re pretty much on borrowed time as soon as you’re in the door. 33 out of 42 have been in the role for under 1.5 years.

It’s very interesting though to see the relative successes of the longest serving 6 managers.

11 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

You never heard of sarcasm you grade A idiot? Imagine getting upset about that clearly tongue in cheek comment. 

Keyboard warrior. Why do you feel the need to hurl abuse at others who have done nothing to you?

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Partick Thistle skint - hope we throw in a wee bid for Dowds. Convinced McCall just wanted to f**k us over on that one too.

Is Dowds out of contract? Would certainly take him at Airdrie if he wants to stay full time.

Also have heard our accounts from 21 and 22 end of financial years are absolutely fantastic and looks like we are so very well run and in a superb position financially, which is great to hear when you see the situations elsewhere. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also have heard our accounts from 21 and 22 end of financial years are absolutely fantastic and looks like we are so very well run and in a superb position financially, which is great to hear when you see the situations elsewhere. 

You only ever hear about the clubs in financial distress, rarely hear about the well run ones

16 minutes ago, ecto said:

You only ever hear about the clubs in financial distress, rarely hear about the well run ones

100 percent and I imagine there will be a lot of clubs struggling in Scottish football.

The discussion regarding part time football / full time football has come up a lot with us in recent years when taking into consideration the level of support we now have but although it can be frustrating to be completely shut off in regards to a whole FT market and missing out on even being in the running for guys like Jack Hamilton, I think for the time being the model we have got is excellent and we really just need to strive to stay in this division following that model. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

100 percent and I imagine there will be a lot of clubs struggling in Scottish football.

The discussion regarding part time football / full time football has come up a lot with us in recent years when taking into consideration the level of support we now have but although it can be frustrating to be completely shut off in regards to a whole FT market and missing out on even being in the running for guys like Jack Hamilton, I think for the time being the model we have got is excellent and we really just need to strive to stay in this division following that model. 

Yes, we’re in a very healthy position, there isn’t a player in this league we couldn’t afford but being part time is hindering our future.

8 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Yes, we’re in a very healthy position, there isn’t a player in this league we couldn’t afford but being part time is hindering our future.

I think for the moment being part time and the best positioned part time club is the way to go.

If 5 years down the line we are still in same situation we are in just now in regards to getting good crowds and competing at this level then maybe that’s a conversation for then but football can change for the good and for the bad very quickly so best consolidating for the time being