The Arbroath Thread

Some of the comments/opinions genuinely baffle me to the stage where I end up just laughing. There are hundreds of examples all over the footballing planet of managers / teams taking punts on youngsters from levels below and it not quite working out. Dylan seemingly had a lot of issues outside of football which prevented him training etc , you could argue we didn’t do enough due dilligence on him I suppose. Now playing at a level about 9 leagues below us. Kieran was a bit unlucky and think he should’ve been given more chances but not a championship level player , too much of a jump. 

The signings of Hetherington and Dow in Jan and in addition to Macintosh and slater we are getting back to what we really should be doing in terms of recruitment but that shouldn’t stop us taking a punt on a young lad with potential. 

1 minute ago, Smokerson said:

Some of the comments/opinions genuinely baffle me to the stage where I end up just laughing. There are hundreds of examples all over the footballing planet of managers / teams taking punts on youngsters from levels below and it not quite working out. Dylan seemingly had a lot of issues outside of football which prevented him training etc , you could argue we didn’t do enough due dilligence on him I suppose. Now playing at a level about 9 leagues below us. Kieran was a bit unlucky and think he should’ve been given more chances but not a championship level player , too much of a jump. 

The signings of Hetherington and Dow in Jan and in addition to Macintosh and slater we are getting back to what we really should be doing in terms of recruitment but that shouldn’t stop us taking a punt on a young lad with potential. 

Agree 100 percent. On Hetherington I’ve got a feeling he’s maybe re signed for Alloa. Suppose we will find out more soon.

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree 100 percent. On Hetherington I’ve got a feeling he’s maybe re signed for Alloa. Suppose we will find out more soon.

Kinda think if he was signing, would have been announced by now

Slater and McIntosh very solid signings to kick off proceedings 

Current squad (guess) 

Gaston

Little

ToB

Hamilton 

Jacobs

Gold

McKenna

Stewart 

Dow 

Balde

Slater

Hilson

McIntosh

Definitely out the door -

Shanks / Adarkwa / Komolafe / Olusanya / El Mhanni / Banks / Tait / Bitsindou / Gill 

Potentially away -

Allan / Patterson

That will be 11 out and 2 in.

Looking forward to the rebuild done properly.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Slater and McIntosh very solid signings to kick off proceedings 

Current squad (guess) 

Gaston

Little

ToB

Hamilton 

Jacobs

Gold

McKenna

Stewart 

Dow 

Balde

Slater

Hilson

McIntosh

Definitely out the door -

Shanks / Adarkwa / Komolafe / Olusanya / El Mhanni / Banks / Tait / Bitsindou / Gill 

Potentially away -

Allan / Patterson

That will be 11 out and 2 in.

Looking forward to the rebuild done properly.

You forgotten about Bobby already 🤣

Hilson I am just assuming, same with Scott Stewart 

On Bobby I didn’t mean to seem crass but now he’s done in the professional game I left him off. But yeah another jersey to fill. Really hope we actively pursue wingers this summer 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hilson I am just assuming, same with Scott Stewart 

On Bobby I didn’t mean to seem crass but now he’s done in the professional game I left him off. But yeah another jersey to fill. Really hope we actively pursue wingers this summer 

Scott Stewart contracted till summer 2024 anyway 👍

33 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Seems like it was well worth taking a punt on him then in the end

Was told about him by a Locos fan before he went to you & later told you paid 20K for him. £18K for a 21 year old with his potential seems ok to me, better value than Hester with the chance of a ban still to come & not really proven against full time defenders. Was a bit surprized that you seem happy with McIntosh always looked as if he was going to do something when he was with us but by the time he tried to do it the chance was gone, was always quick & strong he may have improved since he left us but Cove supporters tended to be keen to dump him although that was before Rory left.

23 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Was told about him by a Locos fan before he went to you & later told you paid 20K for him. £18K for a 21 year old with his potential seems ok to me, better value than Hester with the chance of a ban still to come & not really proven against full time defenders. Was a bit surprized that you seem happy with McIntosh always looked as if he was going to do something when he was with us but by the time he tried to do it the chance was gone, was always quick & strong he may have improved since he left us but Cove supporters tended to be keen to dump him although that was before Rory left.

Forgot we paid a fee for him. Seems like a bit of a waste then.

I would have McIntosh over Shanks every day of the week. McIntosh looked handy against us last year and going by highlights has changed a lot as a player. Saw him cutting in from the left doing a step over and scoring from outside the box against Morton, looked like a winger which you’d never believe from his time at us previously. Still a unit and pacey but seems to have come on as a player.

Im not even so sure Shanks will do that well in League 2 goal scoring wise. He will run all day and put all the effort in and be a useful player but after seeing the number of goals Brechin put up this season I think being a goal scorer in the Highland League means very little in regards to Championship/ League 1 and League 2. Standard must be pretty terrible for 3/4 of that division if Brechin put up the numbers they did.

Edited by 1320Lichtie