The Arbroath Thread

53 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Well I’m glad we’ve no paid 30k for a squad player that money will go into someone’s wage. I like Kane so good luck to him 

Hopefully it goes well!

Am sure Dick will have some more good players lined up.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We've been basically Adarkwa's rehab while he recovers from a major injury. Why wouldn't we take advantage of that?  I agree El Mhanni was hit and miss, I thought he wasn't used to the physicality of our league and game, but with experience and a close season, I'd expect better.  If they both want to stay, I'd happily keep them.

Banks, surely there shouldn't be any doubt about?  He slotted into our team like he'd been here for years, and given that our fans are apparently opposed to signing any defensive cover, surely we need to keep him!

Why would we want to the boys barely kicked a ball? We cannot have a guy i the squad like that

Id have happily kept Banks but he’s away and that’s his choice 

40 minutes ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

El Mhanni, Adwarka, Komolafe & Banks all away.

Good chance there will be more movement out of Gayfield today…..👀

Noticed East Kilbride done a squad update last night. Scott Allan rumoured to be going there...

3 hours ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

El Mhanni, Adwarka, Komolafe & Banks all away.

Good chance there will be more movement out of Gayfield today…..👀

I would have liked Banks to stay a good solid defender who liked to get stuck in, agree as others have said he is no J.T. but not many like him about nowadays.

In regards El Mhanni he has massive talent and when he first signed it looked like we had a superstar but unfortunately like a lot of players like him he was inconsistent and seemed to get knocked off the ball easily. 

11 hours ago, mo83 said:

The money was on the table and you were willing to pay 25-30k whatever the fee was,Montrose,Arbroath and Peterhead all had bids accepted.

Is your profile picture from our game with Kilmarnock? Is that how obsessed you are with Arbroath FC. Even with all your recent success including a league title you’ve picked that? That’s pretty pathetic 

48 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I would have liked Banks to stay a good solid defender who liked to get stuck in, agree as others have said he is no J.T. but not many like him about nowadays.

In regards El Mhanni he has massive talent and when he first signed it looked like we had a superstar but unfortunately like a lot of players like him he was inconsistent and seemed to get knocked off the ball easily. 

He never once looked like a “superstar”

With regards to the right back position, I feel like everyone we've had play there since Jason Thomson has been compared to a 31 year old JT in 2019 as opposed to the 35 year old JT who started this season. The JT who was at the club in August 2022 was two yards slower than the one we signed, and it's probably well worth people remembering that. There is absolutely no chance Lewis Banks was a 'downgrade' on the JT that left the club....... the JT of several years ago maybe, but that wasn't/ isn't the case. This season JT would have been absolutely done for pace, and would've offered very little going forward due to this, as well as any relatively pacey wide man skipping past him at Championship level. A move to a division below was the right choice/ worked out well for both AFC and JT.

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

With regards to the right back position, I feel like everyone we've had play there since Jason Thomson has been compared to a 31 year old JT in 2019 as opposed to the 35 year old JT who started this season. The JT who was at the club in August 2022 was two yards slower than the one we signed, and it's probably well worth people remembering that. There is absolutely no chance Lewis Banks was a 'downgrade' on the JT that left the club....... the JT of several years ago maybe, but that wasn't/ isn't the case. This season JT would have been absolutely done for pace, and would've offered very little going forward due to this, as well as any relatively pacey wide man skipping past him at Championship level. A move to a division below was the right choice/ worked out well for both AFC and JT.

Bang on. JT was superb for us and, at his best, I would have him over Banks or Oakley every day of the week. The problem is, as you say, his best days were behind him and he would have been way out of his depth this season. He knew it and most of us knew it so it was best for everyone that he moved on.

Personally I think Banks was good and would have liked him to stay. Even though Oakley is a better football player, Banks was more solid and definitely shored up the right hand side when he came in.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

First pre season friendly the 24th June. Hopefully no trialists involved 

Brechin again. Hopefully decent weather and a good support. And as you say no trialists or “Noubles mates”

25 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Is your profile picture from our game with Kilmarnock? Is that how obsessed you are with Arbroath FC. Even with all your recent success including a league title you’ve picked that? That’s pretty pathetic 

To be honest with you it is quite petty, and I would have changed but it's rattled you so it will stay for the time being.To be fair it's a bit better than your A profile pic?

El Mhanni's debut against Dundee at Dens in January was simply stunning - he played like he should have been in the English Premier League - he ran circles around Dundee's defence and his performance was a joy to watch - he was outstanding.

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, he never produced that level of performance again ( he'd had been signed by a big club if he was playing like that every week) - one of the stand out performances of the season.

Regarding Banks, he is a quality player - would have been good to have him on board, but wish him all the best in his footballing journey.

Rumour of Scot Allan going to East Kilbride seems very odd, but I guess stranger things have happened (ie Nicky Low playing junior football).

4 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

El Mhanni's debut against Dundee at Dens in January was simply stunning - he played like he should have been in the English Premier League - he ran circles around Dundee's defence and his performance was a joy to watch - he was outstanding.

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, he never produced that level of performance again ( he'd had been signed by a big club if he was playing like that every week) - one of the stand out performances of the season.

Regarding Banks, he is a quality player - would have been good to have him on board, but wish him all the best in his footballing journey.

Rumour of Scot Allan going to East Kilbride seems very odd, but I guess stranger things have happened (ie Nicky Low playing junior football).

East Kilbride now managed by ex Darvel manager and Simon Ferry. Darvel manager notoriously financing a lot of the players at Darvel because he owns Black Rooster (and supposedly some other dodgy dealings on side) so they will be well backed and Scott Allan appears on Simon Ferry’s Open Goal podcast a lot.

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

This is true about JT but it doesn’t make Banks good. He offered nothing going forward and was pretty average defensively. I’d rather have Gold or Stewart at RB. 

Banks came in and did exactly what was needed. The defence was haemorrhaging goals (relative to recent seasons) in the first half of the season and it’s no coincidence that him coming in (and Stewart returning) improved this. Was he a brilliant footballer or wingback? No he wasn’t but he did the basics pretty well. Gold and Stewart can do a job at right back, if needed, but I would much rather play players in their strongest positions.

Edited by Tattie36