The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

If Peterhead were offering that kind of cash, were they saving all their budget on trying to sign him. Considering how shite they were last season, they didn't seem to want to invest much in January to try and survive.

On that, I don't know how Shanks did there, but it was a poor move for him to develop. Can see him going out on loan again.

Peterhead threw enough cash at a survival attempt by giving Fosu £600/week

Shanks started every week but not the best move for a striker to go to a team that were really struggling - perhaps he was told there or the bench & other loans were turned down by the club

14 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Not by a long chalk. If we end up with some more YouTubers Hester’s name will keep coming up.

Lets hope we dont end up with no strikers again whilst seeing Hester scoring often for Montrose.

I don't think Hester was the right signing for us, regardless.

We need a player who can play lead the line and hold the ball up. Obviously it's years since I've seen Hester play but there was no indication it was a role he could fulfil in his previous spell.

If Thistle were to win the playoffs, I wonder if Dowds would be available? I'm not sure he'd get much game time for them in the Premiership.

10 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

I don't think Hester was the right signing for us, regardless.

We need a player who can play lead the line and hold the ball up. Obviously it's years since I've seen Hester play but there was no indication it was a role he could fulfil in his previous spell.

If Thistle were to win the playoffs, I wonder if Dowds would be available? I'm not sure he'd get much game time for them in the Premiership.

I’d be very keen to get dowds back. Has only started 6 games for thistle this season and still has more goals than anyone else in our team. Even if partick were to stay in the championship I think that’s something we have to look at, he’s not going to start over Brian graham so he’ll continue to not get much of a game and he’d start every week here. 

7 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Would have liked him but absolutely no way would I would want Arbroath paying anything like the £50k Elgin wanted for him. Supposedly Peterhead offered £30k which was turned down so it would likely have been more than that that Mo paid.

Club need to step up to the plate now though and get someone better or at least as good.

LOL absolute bollocks, Peterhead offered £20k which was accepted by Elgin City so i would guess AFC/Forfar/Scumtrose also offered £20k and for whatever reason he wants to play in a lower league with a crap stadium and small crowds.

I would have wanted him back at Gayfield in a minute, as someone already poster Hester/McAllister what a strikeforce that is compared to ours so the AFC Board and Management have to beat that. 

5 hours ago, Smokerson said:

No way should we be paying 30 grand for Kane Hester, he's not what we should be looking for, might've been ok to shove on for the last 20 minutes in games but that's it.

Glad we can move on now. 

Tell you what though I'd rather have Kane than Leighton McIntosh!!

4 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

If I was offered a choice of McIntosh or Hester, I'd probably pick McIntosh.

McIntosh + £20k or Hester? 

No brainer.

Good for you that's your choice, respect that.

Can I ask why you would choose McIntosh over Hester?

Decent signing. Has played at this level. Local and we know he can score goals. Yes not as prolific as we need but vastly better option than some of the jobbers we have signe in recent times.

At least its a striker and not a makeshift one.

No doubt more strikers to come in.

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Decent signing. I thought he might end up with you. Impressed last season, scored 8 in 30 in a struggling side. Definitely has the pace and can finish. Has a good leap too.

Interested to see how this signing works out for both parties

He’s not the cove striker I really wanted 

17 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

If I was offered a choice of McIntosh or Hester, I'd probably pick McIntosh.

McIntosh + £20k or Hester? 

No brainer.

The biggest scoring goal prospect in the in the lower leagues right now versus someone who has just been relegated from the league you are trying to stay in? Time will tell, but that's a wild take even for a Smokie.....

Edited by Scorge

Just now, lichtie23 said:

He’s not the cove striker I really wanted 

I heard a few of our part timers arent too impressed with the move to hybrid and soon after FT. Will be interesting to see if any under contract move on.

Mitch has a good job. Doubtful he would give it up or travel to Perth two times a week for training but you never know

Just now, mo83 said:

Good for you that's your choice, respect that.

Can I ask why you would choose McIntosh over Hester?

He scored 8 goals in the Championship last year. That's a respectable total for a struggling side. From memory, he's also got a bit more physical presence. I don't think Hester would be as effective as a lone striker. Isn't he still due a ban for the betting, too?

I would add that, if we were in League One, my choice might be different.