The Arbroath Thread

9 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

We've been with them nearly 10 years now, can think of 2 good kits, one great (sky and navy hoops) and the rest are forgettable.

Bring back Paulas Benaras 

Board will stay with them forever, it seems.

13 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m sure Brechin and Cowden would have said the same 7 or 8 years ago when they were riding high and we were fighting to stay out of the L2 relegation playoffs.

In my time as a fan we’ve ended up flat last 3 times I think and been shit more often than we’ve been good.

Obviously it’s not an immediate concern but, as I said before,  2 or 3 bad seasons and it could become a very real danger for a large chunk of established league teams.

Look what’s happened since we nearly finished 10th. We finally got our shit together, that’s the whole point of it. We were happily treading water for years under the old regime without any real threat or consequence, now that’s there we have had to put the work in and are in the position we are in now. 

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hester has signed for Montrose. And now we can end all the chat regarding him coming back to Gayfield 

Exactly 

18 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

See Kane Hester signed a 3 year contract at scumtrose

scumtrose, what are you 10, behave 

18 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

See Kane Hester signed a 3 year contract at scumtrose

He may not have been the answer but he was an answer. It’s worrying if he was a target and we couldn’t beat Montrose to his signature. With Bobby away we need some serious attacking options in the door, and more than one.

9 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

He may not have been the answer but he was an answer. It’s worrying if he was a target and we couldn’t beat Montrose to his signature. With Bobby away we need some serious attacking options in the door, and more than one.

From Montrose might’ve helped

A deal was very close but at the end of the day Hester has chosen Montrose over us. I have heard the reason why but i wont disclose that information.

Wish him all the best.

As this deal has been done nice and early on so we can now look elsewhere and bring in new players 

Would have liked him but absolutely no way would I would want Arbroath paying anything like the £50k Elgin wanted for him. Supposedly Peterhead offered £30k which was turned down so it would likely have been more than that that Mo paid.

Club need to step up to the plate now though and get someone better or at least as good.

Yeah that’s a good signing for Montrose and also unsure on how he would have done here but would’ve been keen for it if it happened but also not overly bothered it’s not happened either. Would’ve been very intriguing

A 50k fee is a big one, can put that towards a wage 

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah that’s a good signing for Montrose and also unsure on how he would have done here but would’ve been keen for it if it happened but also not overly bothered it’s not happened either. Would’ve been very intriguing

A 50k fee is a big one, can put that towards a wage 

Think the fee was closer £20k - no way Elgin would have got £50k for a player with a year left on his contract

i also doubt Peterhead would have bid £30k & besides Elgin we’re very reluctant to sell to a club in the same division.

Even though I’m not that fussed about Hester, one thing a bit depressing is when you look at Arbroath and Montrose’s respective striker signings in the last year.

Mo - Rory McAllister and Kane Hester.

Arbroath - ………. relying on Dale Hilson.

Not suggesting for one minute that McAllister or Hester are the answer or would do a job in the Championship, but they’re both proven natural goalscorers with an eye for goal.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, 2002 Lichtie said:

Think the fee was closer £20k - no way Elgin would have got £50k for a player with a year left on his contract

i also doubt Peterhead would have bid £30k & besides Elgin we’re very reluctant to sell to a club in the same division.

99 percent sure Peterhead bid 30k but yeah they wouldn’t have want that to happen. Maybe Montrose bid that too and they accepted because they weren’t 

If Peterhead were offering that kind of cash, were they saving all their budget on trying to sign him. Considering how shite they were last season, they didn't seem to want to invest much in January to try and survive.

On that, I don't know how Shanks did there, but it was a poor move for him to develop. Can see him going out on loan again.