The Arbroath Thread

It's great knowing we are in the Championship next season - enjoying keeping a watch on the rumour mill and all sorts of tall stories.

Roll up, roll up, read all about it - player X and player Y to join blah, blah, blah.

You heard it here first - blah, blah, blah.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m honestly done with Jacobs, he’s fine, looked absolutely ok for spells when he was fit but definitely not worth keeping especially with that injury record. 

Absolutely this, a waste of a wage

33 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Can't wait to see what "trialists" Dick comes up with this time.

He has to realise that, this is no longer the way, things are done

11 hours ago, ecto said:

He has to realise that, this is no longer the way, things are done

I think back in the L2 days a trialist was always rather exciting as you’d no idea what you’d get but we now know the level required in this division, it’s a full time league full of full time players. It’s a good standard. Only the better standard of part time player will be able to make any kind of impact and they kind of players are not partaking in anything on a trialist basis. They’ll all have many offers on the table. 

I would take any of the 2 (or both of them) strikers that Dunfermline have let go Kevin O'Hara and Nikolay Todorov, both those strikers (especially O'Hara) has scored goals against us over the seasons and i read somewhere that O'Hara is still only 24!!

Both strong and fast strikers.

Anybody that says Wighton is a poor striker knows f'all about football, his first stint with us he was lethal unfortunatly his 2nd stint with us for whatever reason he was not as good but given the right service he will score goals at any level as his 20 goals for the Pars last season proves. 

14 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I would take any of the 2 (or both of them) strikers that Dunfermline have let go Kevin O'Hara and Nikolay Todorov, both those strikers (especially O'Hara) has scored goals against us over the seasons and i read somewhere that O'Hara is still only 24!!

Both strong and fast strikers.

Anybody that says Wighton is a poor striker knows f'all about football, his first stint with us he was lethal unfortunatly his 2nd stint with us for whatever reason he was not as good but given the right service he will score goals at any level as his 20 goals for the Pars last season proves. 

Wightons a class act, would’ve been much better with us the first half of last season.

When he joined we had started slogging out matches and results but we’d been playing excellent football until the business end of the season when he was here. 

We really were blessed last year.. Nouble / Dowds / Wighton and Hamilton. Shows you how much of a difference a good striker can make. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/elgin-city/5716408/elgin-city-striker-kane-hester-submits-transfer-request/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

13 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

If Kane can get signed up by a club sharpish, then maybe we don't have a summer full of rumours and hearsay wanting Hester back with us. 🥱 Rather try to get someone like Dale Carrick but not sure he's a DC type striker.

Looks like he’s got something lined up anyway 

👀 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

3 clubs already in for him. And 2 of them are not Arbroath

8 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

3 clubs already in for him. And 2 of them are not Arbroath

😂 

Took me a minute to get my head around that.

I think he’ll be coming here now…

Peterhead be a no go as they’re L2. Same with Forfar.

Cove he would still have to travel north after working further south. Montrose interested too? 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

From what I heard it’s Cove, Montrose and ourselves. 

I hope we don’t sign him, wouldn’t fit our style. Im sure he could also have a lengthy ban coming from the SFA after the betting investigation. 

Just now, lichtie23 said:

I hope we don’t sign him, wouldn’t fit our style. Im sure he could also have a lengthy ban coming from the SFA after the betting investigation. 

Pretty sure that betting things all done and dusted now but could be wrong 

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Pretty sure that betting things all done and dusted now but could be wrong 

I’m sure I read it’s done from a legal standpoint but he could still face action from the footballing authorities 

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

And what style would that be? Lump it up the park to a target man like we did all season. Then yes he wouldnt fit that.

But maybe. Just maybe. We might be looking to change that for next season. Possibly have different options in the team to give us more tactical choices.

23 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

Can we please give this Hester stuff a rest. He is just not good enough to play Championship football.

Well that would have been my preference too when it seemed like it was never going to happen but now it seems like there is absolutely definitely something to it it’s worth discussing.

Also have to remember he has not played for us for 5 years and even when he was here he was never a regular.

Had 5 years playing regular football now.

I have felt and said similar things to you but taking the above into consideration and the fact that if he’d never been here before he would 100 percent be someone people would be talking about as worth taking a chance on. On paper one of the best part time strikers you could get.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

After our striking options last year nobody should be turning their nose up at hester. Yes he’s not proven above league 2 and im not sure he’d fit our style but i would absolutely have him as long as we had other options or a strike partner like o’hara, todorov or austin as well.