The Arbroath Thread

40 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

As for Kane Hester.

Dick has been trying to get him back for a number of years now. At one point he had spoke to Hester behind Elgin's back about possibly re-signing him. Elgin board were livid when they found out and any chance of a deal was dead.

But things have smoothed over now and Hester is still a player Dick wants. Though Cove and Montrose are after him too.

Anyone saying Hester isnt good enough just have to look at some of of our more recent signings and ask whether Hester could have done a better job than them. (Isiaka, Ford, Komolafe, Olysanya, Wighton etc)

Think most of the time you will say yes he would.

Would Hester have done better than some of the worst players we have had in recent years ... hardly a ringing endorsement. Wighton has more talent in his big toe than Hester will ever have as well.

Just now, WC Boggs said:

I watched the video where Dick basically admitted his signings this season were crap.  Rare blunt honesty from a manager even if not very comforting.  

Yeah that’s all he can do. 1 terrible season out of 7 and still in the 2nd tier. Obviously not all down to him because the boards been amazing too but without the success on the park we wouldn’t have had the incredible growth off it. 

I’m hoping he’ll be even more determined to do the business this summer too after this years failings

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah that’s all he can do. 1 terrible season out of 7 and still in the 2nd tier. Obviously not all down to him because the boards been amazing too but without the success on the park we wouldn’t have had the incredible growth off it. 

I’m hoping he’ll be even more determined to do the business this summer too after this years failings

I hope so too, the man is an absolute legend as far as I'm concerned.  It's been a painful season for Arbroath fans, but the worst didn't happen. You just have to look where most of the clubs dumb enough to fire Dick have ended up. If that isn't a warning I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

As for Kane Hester.

Dick has been trying to get him back for a number of years now. At one point he had spoke to Hester behind Elgin's back about possibly re-signing him. Elgin board were livid when they found out and any chance of a deal was dead.

But things have smoothed over now and Hester is still a player Dick wants. Though Cove and Montrose are after him too.

Anyone saying Hester isnt good enough just have to look at some of of our more recent signings and ask whether Hester could have done a better job than them. (Isiaka, Ford, Komolafe, Olysanya, Wighton etc)

Really struggle to believe this considering at every Q&A with pink the same question is asked regarding Hester and each and every time pink says he is not good enough for us (which he absolutely isn’t). 
Dick also laughed at the person who asked this very question at the hospitality on Friday night.

Also Hester would absolutely not have done a better job than wighton this season, wighton is a fair few levels above Hester and was one of Dunfermline’s best players this season. He wasn’t the best in his last spell with us but is still a class player.

3 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

As for Kane Hester.

Speaking to someone who speaks to Kane Hester on a regular basis and from what he’s saying to me it seems like this is also news to Kane Hester himself. Sounds like he will be off to Cove, Montrose or Peterhead. 

Hester seems to have improved as a player since leaving Arbroath - but having not seen him play in the last few years I would struggle to know if he is good enough for the Championship - I presume these leaving comments have seen him playing this year ?

If he signs for Montrose I would expect him to be a big success - he lives there and his brother already plays for them.

Looks like the Championship rumour mill has began and is now in full swing.

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Speaking to someone who speaks to Kane Hester on a regular basis and from what he’s saying to me it seems like this is also news to Kane Hester himself. Sounds like he will be off to Cove, Montrose or Peterhead. 

I'm hearing more and more we are interested and he's one of our targets. Could be the rumour mill in full swing like @clashcityrocker eluded too, it's that time of year.

I've got a feeling that Leighton McIntosh, out of contract soon, will move on. He might not, I've got nothing to back that up with. He's been with us for 3 years and this season he's actually done not too bad. 8 goals in 31 league games is far from outstanding but it's more than I thought he'd get in a poor Cove side especially since Christmas. He's improved over the last year or so but for me Hartley has never really fancied him. 

Only 30, from Dundee, could be a target for Peterhead under Strachan or might stay closer to home and sign for an Angus club. Tendency to follow Rory around. 

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm hearing more and more we are interested and he's one of our targets. Could be the rumour mill in full swing like @clashcityrocker eluded too, it's that time of year.

I've got a feeling that Leighton McIntosh, out of contract soon, will move on. He might not, I've got nothing to back that up with. He's been with us for 3 years and this season he's actually done not too bad. 8 goals in 31 league games is far from outstanding but it's more than I thought he'd get in a poor Cove side especially since Christmas. He's improved over the last year or so but for me Hartley has never really fancied him. 

Only 30, from Dundee, could be a target for Peterhead under Strachan or might stay closer to home and sign for an Angus club. Tendency to follow Rory around. 

Well I thought Cove made most sense as probs best option out of 3 and he lives in Montrose but surprisingly Peterhead sound like they’re right in the mix, however still under contract for next season I think supposed to have signed one before his court case.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is this just going to be an entire summer of Kane Hester rumours and fake in-the-know updates from people who know Kane and Dick personally?

To be fair he played for Arbroath Vics remember and he’s local…. Played with people who will be mates to people who post on here

Just had an update and maybe we are interested 🤣

Also this is way better than weekly moaning about how terrible the previous Saturday was surely 

20 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair he played for Arbroath Vics remember and he’s local…. Played with people who will be mates to people who post on here

Just had an update and maybe we are interested 🤣

Also this is way better than weekly moaning about how terrible the previous Saturday was surely 

I'm hoping he decides soon and it doesn't drag. Don't think it will. Remember him scoring a belter against Rovers a couple of seasons ago in the cup, lashed one in against Ayr in the Scottish Cup and ran St Johnstone's defence ragged in the league cup at the start of the year.

Alongside the right striker he can definitely prosper in league 1 and be an asset in the Championship. Clearly the latter is step up, centre backs have more quality and a bit more pace than L1 counterparts. L2 is certainly not his level or ceiling. 

He's not going to a complete disaster like we've both had in the forward areas this year alone. 

I think we could be in for a fun summer. The players I've heard us linked with are much more like the profile of signing we have been used to in the past.

I see Montrose have just announced Cammy Gill. Thanks for the memories.

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm hoping he decides soon and it doesn't drag. Don't think it will. Remember him scoring a belter against Rovers a couple of seasons ago in the cup, lashed one in against Ayr in the Scottish Cup and ran St Johnstone's defence ragged in the league cup at the start of the year.

Alongside the right striker he can definitely prosper in league 1 and be an asset in the Championship. Clearly the latter is step up, centre backs have more quality and a bit more pace than L1 counterparts. L2 is certainly not his level or ceiling. 

He's not going to a complete disaster like we've both had in the forward areas this year alone. 

Depends on where Elgin want him to go too, Peterhead in L2 now so that would be silly.

But yeah after asking about it earlier on I thought that was that but my phone pinged half an hour ago and my only conclusion is that DC himself uses Pie and Bovril. So apologies to @RedLichtie86

I thought he was absolutely ok at us first time around and would fancy him to score a goal more than the 2 other strikers currently on our books. Also it’s been a wee while since he was here so would’ve improved as a player. I’m open to it and it interests me but wouldn’t be up or down either way 

Time will tell, Montrose already announcing players so won’t be long till it all starts coming out in the wash 

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Depends on where Elgin want him to go too, Peterhead in L2 now so that would be silly.

But yeah after asking about it earlier on I thought that was that but my phone pinged half an hour ago and my only conclusion is that DC himself uses Pie and Bovril. So apologies to @RedLichtie86

I thought he was absolutely ok at us first time around and would fancy him to score a goal more than the 2 other strikers currently on our books. Also it’s been a wee while since he was here so would’ve improved as a player. I’m open to it and it interests me but wouldn’t be up or down either way 

Time will tell, Montrose already announcing players so won’t be long till it all starts coming out in the wash 

DC been texting you with his plans? 😁

11 minutes ago, keptie said:

DC been texting you with his plans? 😁

I wish. 😂

Best mate played with Hester though so usually get the goss about all sorts of lower league nonsense.

I think if Hester hadn’t been here before he’d be exactly the type of player on paper we’d go for so… 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I wish. 😂

Best mate played with Hester though so usually get the goss about all sorts of lower league nonsense.

I think if Hester hadn’t been here before he’d be exactly the type of player on paper we’d go for so… 

I must admit i'd be surprised if he came back. Although he did score when he got on the field when with us i just don't think DC rated him, be surprised if that has changed but who knows.