The Arbroath Thread

What an achievement - 5 years in a row in the Championship for a part-time club ( no other part time club has done this).

Congratulations to the full squad of players and management for turning the season around - you proved a lot of critics wrong.

Also, great link up play last night between Linn and McKenna and Hilson ran himself into the ground - the whole team put in a great shift, we were just missing a striker to convert all these opportunities we created.

Time to enjoy the moment of staying in the Championship and lessons will have been learnt from what went wrong this season - everyone involved at Gayfield will want to avoid the same mistakes next season.

Also great news on Sir Bobby Linn being offered a new 1 year contract - he was outstanding last night and proved he can still compete at this level - winning the Man of the Match award.

Well done to all the players and enjoy your break.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Ps if it was true, what kind of folk fight in hospitality? Deary me.

Bobby linn’s mates. They were an embarrassment tbh not showing any respect when folk were speaking etc and were chucked out/started fighting at half time 

When Hetherington was doing signatures to a bairn last night I said to him get signed for next season

And he said he will 

Allan, Patterson, Jacobs, Tait, Olusanya, Komolafe, Adarkwa, El Mhanni, Bitsindou all away I would guess 

Nathan Austin and Craig Slater signed 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

When Hetherington was doing signatures to a bairn last night I said to him get signed for next season

And he said he will 

Allan, Patterson, Jacobs, Tait, Olusanya, Komolafe, Adarkwa, El Mhanni, Bitsindou all away I would guess 

Nathan Austin and Craig Slater signed 

How do we know Austin’s signed?

4 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

I’m really happy for you that you’ve stayed up. Proper fitba supporters at the ground every time I’ve been, and proper fitba supporters on here. See yous next season.

There is such a good feel about the club from the top to bottom. Get well looked after when just coming down for a game of football 

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

A huge relief - the reality right now is that we've had a really poor season overall, and we've still managed to achieve our aim of staying in the division. In previous years teams far bigger than ourselves have paid the price for a poor season and dropped down a division and struggled to get back up. Despite an obvious lack of anything up top, we've still managed to scrape the required points together, and again the reality is that all these 'must win' games that people kept going on about every week didn't exist.

The tactical debate of the season seems a fairly straightforward one; Dick consistently felt our options up top were not good enough to justify two up, or to justify trying to grab more goals with what we had over shoring things up bigtime and focusing on not conceding and being hard to beat. This obviously resulted in us being awful to watch at times, picking up plenty of 0-0s and picking up a point instead of risking that point for a further two on the day..... Would we have been better being more attacking with the players we've had, at the expense of our solidity? We'll never know if we'd have had more or less points going more attacking with the personnel we have, but we do know we've stayed in the division playing the way we have. Personally I feel like playing Bobby Linn a wee bit more in the same 4-5-1 formation that suits us would hardly have been a disaster and would've at least added a bit of excitement at times to some really poor games this year... The treatment of the best attacking player at the club throughout the campaign has been very poor.

Going forward this summer will be better than last year, I have absolutely no doubts about that at this point. Everyone at the club, from top to bottom, is extremely aware of the failings of last summer and as we know things have been put in place to rectify this. I see people having a go at Dick about signing people he's not seen play/ 'youtube highlights' etc stuff. but the chances are very high that we'll sign multiple players this summer that he hasn't seen play, it's hardly uncommon for clubs that have recruitment teams in place/ a director of football etc. We've now got a really good recruitment team in place and some really positive stuff happening in that area, none of which was in place a year ago. I believe we've already got two stand out players in the divisions below ready to go for next year, with lots of other things going on in the background also. Our current squad of signed up players is also stronger than the one we finished last season with also IMO, so plenty of positive stuff on that front :)

Dick Campbell....... what a frustrating, infuriating and frankly bewildering at times manager he is. There are many things this season Dick has got wrong, but ultimately he has achieved the club's aim in every single season he has been our manager. I understand the feelings of frustration towards him over the course of the campaign, I really do, but he isn't going anywhere this summer. Personally, I think changing manager at this stage would be an absolute disaster for the club as it puts all our preparations for next season out which would put us months behind all of the clubs around us at this level, which would be very hard for a new manager to recover things from. The next time to 'review' things for me would be after a dozen league games of next season.

Well said Simon

So glad I can no even think about football for the next 2 months 

Roll on next season

Great seeing such a big home support again and I really don’t think that’ll change. The amount of young lads and lassies at games decked out in AFC gear is mental and they absolutely love it

Mon the fuckin broath 

3 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

What an achievement - 5 years in a row in the Championship for a part-time club ( no other part time club has done this).

Sons had 6 seasons and but for a last minute goal from Ross Stewart in the play-off final, would have made it to 7.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well said Simon

So glad I can no even think about football for the next 2 months 

Roll on next season

Great seeing such a big home support again and I really don’t think that’ll change. The amount of young lads and lassies at games decked out in AFC gear is mental and they absolutely love it

Mon the fuckin broath 

Love seeing the amount of kids at games. Must be 500 teens and under at every home game now.

When I was that age in the early to mid 80s folk used to laugh at me when I said I supported Arbroath. Can only think of 1 or 2 other kids in my year at school who went. Of course, the ones who laughed at us probably go now and will claim to have been fans since they were kids.

I'm so relieved!  A lot to say, and Ive been very negative this season, but my overwhelming feeling is one of happiness.

Looking around that stadium too, we arent the same club from when I was a kid.  Imagine, 2700 people at Gayfield for an end of season bottom of the table friday night slog in horrible weather!  We aren't plucky wee Arbroath any more, we are a much much bigger club.

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

There is such a good feel about the club from the top to bottom. Get well looked after when just coming down for a game of football 

Aye. Gayfield's the favourite away day for a lot of Championship teams - and for good reason. I've always had a great time bantering with Lichties fans over a pint or two both before and after the game.  No roasters, no animosity - just proper supporters as I said earlier. Looking forward to returning twice next season.

16 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The championship. A league your team will never see 

Never say "Never"!  The standard in League One is higher this season and we have struggled against full-time opposition more than in previous seasons. Arbroath have done amazingly well to stay up for five seasons. My congratulations are genuine. I think it is fair to say that in terms of achievement both Arbroath and Montrose have had a tougher season as clubs with far bigger budgets have eventually got their act together. We have definitely lost out to these in getting in and keeping quality loan players. Dunfermline, Falkirk and Airdrieonians and to a lesser extent Alloa and latterly Q.o.S. are all better sides now than when you last played them. Whoever joins you in the Championship is unlikely to gift you with an easy three points.

12 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Congratulations on staying up. If as likely we don't get through the playoffs I look forward to coming up to Arbroath.  Just one favour ... please turn off the wind generator 

Not a breath of wind last night.

A bit off topic but as part of my hangover cure i went along to the brechin game today which was an enjoyable game for the neutral, it was a reminder of how far we’ve come as a club in terms of the ground, quality of players and even small things like kits.
I’ve been moaning as much as anyone but after a difficult season with some dreadful performances and really poor recruitment (which even dick has now admitted) we are still in a great position as a club. Big relief to be safe as i had zero confidence in the playoffs but hopefully lessons are learnt and we can kick on next season. 🇱🇻