The Arbroath Thread

12 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

We were all spoilt by our glorious season last year, this season was never going to be the same, it seems that too many of our fans forget this. If we were given the choice of finishing 8th at the outset this time around I for one would of happily grabbed it with both hands. Let's hope we can do the business on Friday night or if we can't hope Morton helps us out. Then we can go again next season with a few decent new signings in the summer, not some of the dross we recruited this year. 

C'mon the Lichties 🇱🇻🇱🇻

To be honest I don't think anyone has forgotten that not every season will be like last season. Almost 100% of the criticism this season has been absolutely justified.

27 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

We were all spoilt by our glorious season last year, this season was never going to be the same, it seems that too many of our fans forget this. If we were given the choice of finishing 8th at the outset this time around I for one would of happily grabbed it with both hands. Let's hope we can do the business on Friday night or if we can't hope Morton helps us out. Then we can go again next season with a few decent new signings in the summer, not some of the dross we recruited this year. 

C'mon the Lichties 🇱🇻🇱🇻

I’m sure I’m on record here somewhere saying pre season that I’d be happy staying up in 8th, on goal difference on the final day. That looks like it may come to pass so I should be happy and I probably will be content with it once the dust has settled.

However it’s the way it’s been achieved that’s just been grim, particularly at home. A very low points total, fewer than a goal a game and generally terrible, negative football. Ultimately, if we end up 8th then I think it’s as much to do with Cove’s managerial brain fart then anything we’ve done on the pitch.

Edited by Tattie36

29 minutes ago, Blablabla said:

C'mon the Lichties 🇱🇻🇱🇻

I don’t think any Lichtie thought we would have a season like last season, but we also didn’t expect to be as horrific as we have been. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t think it’s unfair to say that if it wasn’t for the heroics of Derek Gaston we would already be relegated 

How many points has he won us, genuine question. 
I can think of Morton at home he definitely won us that point. Any other matches ?

I don't think anyone expected a repeat of last season, but nor did we expect the awful football we've endured this season.

There's a saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks and I think that applies to the Campbell's one dimensional style of football management. They were so lucky with the squad and loan players that they had last season that they probably thought things would carry on the same way this season. And we did play much the same system last season as we have this season.

But losing 3 good seasoned pros and quality loan players had a far greater effect than they realised. They made such a hash of trying to replace them that a recruitment team had to be brought in to find suitable players as they did not seem to have the ability to recognise good players from really bad ones.

So whatever happens on Friday night, and I sincerely hope it will be the last game at Gayfield this season, the management need to learn from their mistakes, move forward and bring their management and coaching into the 21st century.

1 hour ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I don't think anyone expected a repeat of last season, but nor did we expect the awful football we've endured this season.

There's a saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks and I think that applies to the Campbell's one dimensional style of football management. They were so lucky with the squad and loan players that they had last season that they probably thought things would carry on the same way this season. And we did play much the same system last season as we have this season.

But losing 3 good seasoned pros and quality loan players had a far greater effect than they realised. They made such a hash of trying to replace them that a recruitment team had to be brought in to find suitable players as they did not seem to have the ability to recognise good players from really bad ones.

So whatever happens on Friday night, and I sincerely hope it will be the last game at Gayfield this season, the management need to learn from their mistakes, move forward and bring their management and coaching into the 21st century.

DC main strength has just been keeping it simple and all our success under him has been doing that, football is a simple game and DC was a breath of fresh air initially. 

Good Keeper

Solid back 4 

2 wingers

One dirty digger and a more clever football player middle of the park

Physical presence uptop with a hard working runner off them

Football is a simple game but he and we have made it look like anything but this year. 

seasons been an absolute disaster looking forward to it being over hopefully still in the championship.  

management are to blame for that how many times did DC say he’d sign better players then gets rid of decent squad players without replacing them. 

Yes JT was aging but decent bit part player, yes LD was infuriating but I’d absolutely have him back instead of the guff we’ve had instead and craigen a solid dependable player. I understand they might of left for personal reasons or whatever but to not have replacements already in was ludicrous.  

took absolute punts on nobodys trying find a needle in a haystack and failed fucking miserably. Then come out in November with nobody in Scotland good enough to sign then signs 2/3/4 Scottish based players in January. 

we have got to where we are by signing the better available players from league 1/2, the odd player dropping down to PT football and solid loan signings and then just chucks that method in the bin.

staying in the championship is the aim and quite right I never expected to be competing for the league again after last season but I’d thought we’d be floating around mid table maybe  push for playoffs at most but they signings in the summer was disastrous and put us on course for the season we had. 

I don’t mind getting beat and being relegated but it’s the whole manner of this season. Terrible recruitment, awful tactics, terrible team selections (regularly) and in game management 5 sub rule should be banned from DC. 

Love DC for what he’s done and where he’s taken us but I’d not be against if he was to step away or be moved on but that next issue is who’s takes us further. 

I must admit i am absolute crapping myself for Friday nights game, hopefully the Red Lichtie players are not in the same frame of mind as me.

We MUST set up for the win and not go for a draw and start with Bobby.

The AFC fans hopefully generate a good atmosphere from the word go and this helps the AFC players to get the result we need.

Hopefully we confirm that we are staying in the Championship on Friday night and next season DC does not make the same mistake and bringing in unknown south of England players and goes for tried and trusted Scottish players that knows this league and weather conditions etc like Dow, Hetherington etc who have been good additions to the squad.

There is no doubt in my mind that at the start of the season losing Craigen/JT/Low/Donnely (never thought i would ever say this) made our squad weaker with the players that DC brought in and was a massive mistake (i knew they left for various reasons) and that is a big part of the reason we are where we are.

Q Hayshead2 to give a negative thumbs down lol. 

C'Mon the Red Lichties one more game please to get us over the line, 36-0.

I’d love to think there will be a rip, roaring atmosphere tomorrow night. Chances are it’s going to be a nerve racking game with fans checking the Cove score as much as watching the game. It’ll be the same across the league with so much at stake. Ideally we take a decent lead and put it all to bed by halftime. What are the chances?

Like everyone else I’m hoping this will be the last game of the season. There are only 2 realistic options. Safety or playoffs. The latter could be further torment for the long suffering fans. Safety please.

1 hour ago, timlichtie said:

I’d love to think there will be a rip, roaring atmosphere tomorrow night. Chances are it’s going to be a nerve racking game with fans checking the Cove score as much as watching the game. It’ll be the same across the league with so much at stake. Ideally we take a decent lead and put it all to bed by halftime. What are the chances?

Like everyone else I’m hoping this will be the last game of the season. There are only 2 realistic options. Safety or playoffs. The latter could be further torment for the long suffering fans. Safety please.

I can’t see us scoring more than 1 goal unfortunately 

22 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

DC main strength has just been keeping it simple and all our success under him has been doing that, football is a simple game and DC was a breath of fresh air initially. 

Good Keeper

Solid back 4 

2 wingers

One dirty digger and a more clever football player middle of the park

Physical presence uptop with a hard working runner off them

Football is a simple game but he and we have made it look like anything but this year. 

All very well but although DC says he plays with two wingers he seldom if ever has done. “A physical presence up front with a hard working runner off them” sounds like two up front which we never play. “A more clever football player in the middle of the park” - only one I can think of is Nicky Low and that didn’t last long. We signed Scott Allan and never play him. 
I’ll give you a good keeper and a solid back four.

3 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

All very well but although DC says he plays with two wingers he seldom if ever has done. “A physical presence up front with a hard working runner off them” sounds like two up front which we never play. “A more clever football player in the middle of the park” - only one I can think of is Nicky Low and that didn’t last long. We signed Scott Allan and never play him. 
I’ll give you a good keeper and a solid back four.

Ryan McCord and Gavin Swankie's last spell at the club both certainly fit the "clever football players in the middle of the park" bill.

Edited by Lichtie78

2 hours ago, timlichtie said:

Ideally we take a decent lead and put it all to bed by halftime

Absolutely zero chance of this game being done and dusted before half time - unless Morton are pumping Cove 0-5 at half time ( which also won't be happening).

This game could well get decided in the final 10 mins of the match (same goes for the Cove match).

This is going right down to the wire.

Expect lots of tension, nervous players and very few goals.