The Arbroath Thread

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Not much between the bottom three sides and the points show that. Clearly a massive gulf, at times, between us and the rest.

Doubt 8th will be a high target this year. What's the lowest tally for 8th since the Championship formed?

But there are a section of our support who genuinely think we are too good to be where we are. 

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Not much between the bottom three sides and the points show that. Clearly a massive gulf, at times, between us and the rest.

Doubt 8th will be a high target this year. What's the lowest tally for 8th since the Championship formed?

The state of all 3 of us, I reckon around 35 will be more than enough, possibly less. It’s normally 40-42 I think.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

But there are a section of our support who genuinely think we are too good to be where we are. 

I don't want to be rude but we, bottom 3, are all here because we deserve to be. Thought all would recognise that.

Clearly we've regressed massively since December and are leaking goals like a sieve. Likely going to be our downfall.

Can see why some Arbroath fans might think they should be higher than Cove looking at our last 11 league games. I watched the game last night and the trouncing we are taking today could have easily happened at Gayfield to maybe a lesser degree, saying that it didn't and you got a valuable point.

Games against each other now key as we all likely aren't going to pick up many more points 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Anyone who watched they last night and took anything other than Gaston as the only positive thing are lying to themselves, 

That was up there with one of our worst performances, 

We are lucky that Cove and Hamilton are equally as bad, we are In no way better than then,

It's still In our own hands to stay in this league, 

We just need the correct consistent team to be played and sort our awful home form 

8 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Anyone who watched they last night and took anything other than Gaston as the only positive thing are lying to themselves, 

That was up there with one of our worst performances, 

We are lucky that Cove and Hamilton are equally as bad, we are In no way better than then,

It's still In our own hands to stay in this league, 

We just need the correct consistent team to be played and sort our awful home form 

I can’t see a win coming though. We’ve drawn the last 4 and I didn’t think at any point we looked like winning the game. We are lacking in quality, creativity and fight. 

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I can’t see a win coming though. We’ve drawn the last 4 and I didn’t think at any point we looked like winning the game. We are lacking in quality, creativity and fight. 

The crazy thing is because us 3 are so bad at the moment a draw these days actually  feels like a win 🤣🤣🤣 For example we don’t need to win on Friday against Queens Park to move upto 8th 🇱🇻🔥⚽️ Yes I want us to win and desperate for 3 points but like you said it’s hard to come by these days 

2 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

The crazy thing is because us 3 are so bad at the moment a draw these days actually  feels like a win 🤣🤣🤣 For example we don’t need to win on Friday against Queens Park to move upto 8th 🇱🇻🔥⚽️ Yes I want us to win and desperate for 3 points but like you said it’s hard to come by these days 

My god, do you actually think we have a realistic chance of coming away with anything v QP?

We “might” fluke a draw but a comfortable home win is far far more likely.

Our best/only chance is for Cove and Accies to keep losing and we somehow pick up a few points here and there… most importantly v them.

1 hour ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Last night only felt like a win because we absolutely robbed a point.

There is now a realistic prospect that Arbroath can avoid the drop by drawing their games ( on the basis that Cove and Hamilton continue on their slippery slope to oblivion) - but this would be a dangerous approach to take in the final run in.

The 'broath have only won 4 games of all season, but I think if we could find the resolve to win our home games against Cove and Hamilton that might be enough ( problem is, this is a big ask for a team with no fire power).

We have drawn more games than any team in the league - so we will almost certainly continue to pick up points.

Also, I think DC needs to re-watch the match from Fri night - the amount of stray balls the midfield were gifting to Morton was criminal.

Usually the teams at the bottom need around 39 points to reach safety - but this season might only require around 34-35 points ( we will all know soon enough).

Hopefully last week was a reality check for DC, I heard from folk at AFC Corporate that he admitted a mistake of picking the same starting XI as the Hamilton game.

DC's signings this season (well 75% of them) have been a disaster and out of last seasons squad i would have only let 1 player go (Big Luke, although by all accounts he has been superb with Alloa) anyway for the Queens Park game i would have Bobby, Stewartie, Goldie and Hilson (all tried and trusted players) and also Big Adarkwi all starting.

We need 3 points never mind going for 1 point.

C'mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

9 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Hopefully last week was a reality check for DC, I heard from folk at AFC Corporate that he admitted a mistake of picking the same starting XI as the Hamilton game.

DC's signings this season (well 75% of them) have been a disaster and out of last seasons squad i would have only let 1 player go (Big Luke, although by all accounts he has been superb with Alloa) anyway for the Queens Park game i would have Bobby, Stewartie, Goldie and Hilson (all tried and trusted players) and also Big Adarkwi all starting.

We need 3 points never mind going for 1 point.

C'mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.

Totally agree with this, but will Dick realise that the team that started the game last week was not the team that earned the point and that it should be obvious as to what the team should be this week .As stated above the mid-field needs toughened up as last week they were totally inept, that includes Balde who continually gave the ball away. Gold deserves to be there for his resilence and being part of the team that got us promoted.

It is over to you Mr.Campbell.

Thomas O’Brien Contract Extension

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce Club Captain Thomas O'Brien has signed a new five-year contract extension that will take his time at Gayfield up to the Summer of 2028 and make it a total of 11 years-service with the Club.

31-year-old Thomas signed for Arbroath in the Summer of 2017 and to date has made 218 appearances for the Club, scoring 18 goals as well as becoming our Club Captain.  

Thomas spoke at the announcement "I am delighted to commit my long-term future to Arbroath, there are a lot of special and exciting things happening here and I am desperate to be part of it.  I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the Management team and board of Directors for the faith shown and I am looking forward to repaying this and also help bring more success to everyone at Arbroath."

Manager Dick Campbell said "This is a significant announcement for everyone at Arbroath FC and real intent shown by both the Club and Thomas.  He quite rightly recognises the strong foundations already put in place in recent years and not only wants to be a part of our exciting future plans, but he'll play a hugely important role in helping shape the Club going forward."

We know this news will really excite our supporters to know their Captain has committed his long-term future to the club.

To celebrate Thomas’s new 5 year extension supporters can come down to the Club Shop in the Abbeygate this weekend and for just £5 can get the Number 5 and O’Brien printed on the back of their existing or new strips!

C’mon the Lichties!

1.png

3 minutes ago, Gayfield said:

Thomas O’Brien Contract Extension

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce Club Captain Thomas O'Brien has signed a new five-year contract extension that will take his time at Gayfield up to the Summer of 2028 and make it a total of 11 years-service with the Club.

31-year-old Thomas signed for Arbroath in the Summer of 2017 and to date has made 218 appearances for the Club, scoring 18 goals as well as becoming our Club Captain.  

Thomas spoke at the announcement "I am delighted to commit my long-term future to Arbroath, there are a lot of special and exciting things happening here and I am desperate to be part of it.  I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the Management team and board of Directors for the faith shown and I am looking forward to repaying this and also help bring more success to everyone at Arbroath."

Manager Dick Campbell said "This is a significant announcement for everyone at Arbroath FC and real intent shown by both the Club and Thomas.  He quite rightly recognises the strong foundations already put in place in recent years and not only wants to be a part of our exciting future plans, but he'll play a hugely important role in helping shape the Club going forward."

We know this news will really excite our supporters to know their Captain has committed his long-term future to the club.

To celebrate Thomas’s new 5 year extension supporters can come down to the Club Shop in the Abbeygate this weekend and for just £5 can get the Number 5 and O’Brien printed on the back of their existing or new strips!

C’mon the Lichties!

1.png

Very good player!!!But does he really have 5 years left in the tank?

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Very good player!!!But does he really have 5 years left in the tank?

Seems excessive to me, he's probably past the point where teams from above will be overly keen to get him. Cynic in me thinks this is the board trying to get some positive PR after how disastrous this season has been.

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

Seems excessive to me, he's probably past the point where teams from above will be overly keen to get him. Cynic in me thinks this is the board trying to get some positive PR after how disastrous this season has been.

I think it’s a great deal. 5 years for a boy who has been unreal for us. Shows his commitment to us as well