The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I see today as being fairly straightforward in many ways - if we play our best players in the right positions, with the right shape I think we'll win. If we keep our best attacking players on the bench and leave a stack of space in the centre of the park, we'll get done. Today is hugely reliant on Dick utilising the players properly, and if he does I'm very confident we'll get a result. I am, however, not hugely confident Dick will do that....

That's the way I see it too.

Not entirely sure how I feel after that apart from frustration on so many levels.... Frustration at how we started the game, somehow even more frustration in the second half at us finally putting most of what works best for us together, frustration at us losing a goal after being really on top for the preceeding 10 minutes and ultimately, somehow, frustration that we didn't win the game as despite everything I think we probably did deserve to nick it based on the final 30.

I'm genuinely sorry for saying the same thing that I think the majority of us can see, again, and especially sorry to those who have to see me absolutely seething every game saying the same things over and over...... for the love of God, we have to play a 4-5-1 and get the best out of the players we've got in the squad. Today cannot hammer that home enough, and I really hope with the large contrast in our performances in each half today it's hammered that point home well and truly. We are far more attacking with a 4-5-1 and better defensively. It gives us the fluidity to push forward in numbers but also sit in when required. It allows us to get our best attacking players on the park, and it gives us an extra body in the centre of the park. It is far superior to having a 4-4-2 with two fairly isolated players, two in the centre of the park getting dominated and nothing coming forward on either flank. I just don't understand why at this stage this even needs to be said.

The first half today we were dominated in the centre of the park, offered very little coming forward and ultimately were second best. In fairness to Dick, he made the changes he did and myself and everyone around me thought it was a bit much - we needed a winger but chucking both of them and Balde on was very surprising, but I think the second half performance proved he was right to do so. I also understand Balde not starting as he's much better in a 3 rather than a 2 in the centre of the park as he's very lightweight.... obviously all of this points to y'know, playing a 4-5-1 with at least one of Yasin/ Bobby on the park but I won't start on that again...!

I though Olusanya was really poor in his first two outgoings and far more interested in running into people and falling over, but today I felt he was much better, and I also thought Hilly was good in the second half up top by himself which is something I never thought I'd be saying to be honest. Second half we created more chances than we normally create in a month (which isn't saying much :lol: :( ) and there were positives there, but ultimately we need to be putting together 90 minute performances at that level from now on and the chances of that are becoming slimmer by the week as we all know.... The squad is much better than it was before January, and that's excellent, but our formation choice/ tactical choices and sub choices predominately haven't improved, and if that continues our chances of staying up will be dramatically decreased from the 50% at best chance we have of doing so at the moment. I really hope Dick at least settles on the right formation/ obvious 9/10 starters and just give some sort of continuity over the next few months to give us the best possible chance...

Today again was so frustrating,  the starting 11 wasn't a million miles away but why can't we just play players in there best positions, 

The team and formation that started the 2nd half was closer to how we should of started the game, 

Linn and/or El-Mhanni have to start the game, the first half we had zero threat and the ball just kept coming back, the 2nd half we were a little better but still no where near good enough,

20 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hamilton win on Tuesday and we are fucked 

The fat lady isn't quite singing if Hamilton win on Tuesday, but she might begin breaking out the manuka honey

How many times to we almost caught out  from our own set pieces when out defence is forward, almost every week we are countered on and give up great chances or goals,

I'd also like to see Gaston release the ball quicker at times, he seems to wait till the opposition are back in position before kicking it,

Do an of the other coaches have input into the tactics or team selection? It's easy to be a manager from the stands but surely someone can see what 99% of the supporters see regarding who is our best players and who should be playing

We are missing a midfielder who can stamp their authority on the park- also lacked the cutting edge up front ( yesterday Adarkwa struggled to win anything in the air and never looked in the mood).

Few of us are in favour of 3 at a time substitutions, but it worked yesterday.

There are 11 games and 33 points to play for, we are still very much in the mix ( we play Cove at home in April and have 2 games against Hamilton - one is the last game of the season).

Yesterday's result was disappointing, but the players look ready for the battle and have a fighting spirit  - this could go right to the wire.

Scott Allan was not on the bench yesterday, but he has been on previous weeks ?

Dylan Tait on the bench, but I presumed still injured ?

Next up Partick Thistle.

On 17/02/2023 at 23:53, Tattie36 said:

Why would Morton sign him next season? He’s getting old, is injury prone and has an attitude problem. Loved him as a player for us but I’m glad he’s out of the league and unlikely to ever play against us. I would have hated him coming back to Gayfield, not because he might play well or score against us, more the fans reaction. I’m not even sure how I would react but I can imagine many/most of our fans (possibly me too) would give him a poor reception and I would hate to see it.

Arbroath gave him the chance to resurrect his career and he fecked it imo, he’ll probably slip away now, couple of years in the depths of the senior setup and then retire.

Hard to say if Morton will still be interested come the summer but wouldn't begrudge him a place in the squad despite all the snotters about attitude coming from you lot.

9 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

How many times to we almost caught out  from our own set pieces when out defence is forward, almost every week we are countered on and give up great chances or goals,

I'd also like to see Gaston release the ball quicker at times, he seems to wait till the opposition are back in position before kicking it,

Do an of the other coaches have input into the tactics or team selection? It's easy to be a manager from the stands but surely someone can see what 99% of the supporters see regarding who is our best players and who should be playing

Problem with our midfield is, it doesn’t get forward quickly enough to support the lone forward, when they do get forward, it doesn’t get back quickly enough to defend, leaving the defence exposed, also when we are defending, the midfield sits so deep, we struggle to get out

Despite the poor performance yesterday it was good to see the team battling to the end and getting a point. Some strange decisions including dropping balde, the inclusion of hilson then taking stewart off at ht and also playing a centre midfielder (probably the new henderson/hancock) at left midfield when we have 2 sitting on the bench. A lot of us are like broken records on here but why is linn not playing? Made such a difference when he came on and i would like to see him stewart and mckenna behind adarkwa with balde and gold/hetherington as holding midfielders.