The Arbroath Thread

Tend to agree with Tattie36. Complacency, coupled with losing 3 solid players, after there was obviously a bust up in the dressing room, cost us a dreadful start to the season. Then what seemed like panic signings who were not up to Championship standard ("We will only sign players who are better than the players we have") and crazy substitutions got us in the position we are in. All down to the manager.

Regardless of how much we have improved recently relegation is still a threat. We have been lucky to stay ahead of Hamilton, who also seem to be improving and as I've said before we cannot rely on teams around us having losing runs.

So whilst we are looking a much better side than a few weeks ago we still have to put a winning run together rather than the odd win and draw. Personally, I do not have as much confidence as others do in the manager but hope that he can keep us in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Tend to agree with Tattie36. Complacency, coupled with losing 3 solid players, after there was obviously a bust up in the dressing room, cost us a dreadful start to the season. Then what seemed like panic signings who were not up to Championship standard ("We will only sign players who are better than the players we have") and crazy substitutions got us in the position we are in. All down to the manager.

Regardless of how much we have improved recently relegation is still a threat. We have been lucky to stay ahead of Hamilton, who also seem to be improving and as I've said before we cannot rely on teams around us having losing runs.

So whilst we are looking a much better side than a few weeks ago we still have to put a winning run together rather than the odd win and draw. Personally, I do not have as much confidence as others do in the manager but hope that he can keep us in the Championship.

Of course relegation is still a threat and a big one at that, i don't see anyone denying that and it may well still happen but we've given ourselves a better chance of avoiding it. We haven't been lucky to stay ahead of Hamilton  they are bottom of the league due to them being worse than us. Nobody is relying on other teams around us not winning we do realise we have to win games ourselves.

To call for the manager to be sacked after 4/5 bad months after how great the previous 6 seasons had been is quite frankly embarrassing and just shows how fickle some supporters are.  

However, there is a long way to go. Would take 8th just now and Saturday is massive as a win will bring Raith into the mix. I have a feeling we will get out of trouble but easier said that done.

22 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

To call for the manager to be sacked after 4/5 bad months after how great the previous 6 seasons had been is quite frankly embarrassing and just shows how fickle some supporters are.  

However, there is a long way to go. Would take 8th just now and Saturday is massive as a win will bring Raith into the mix. I have a feeling we will get out of trouble but easier said that done.

Don't agree with this apart from the fickle bit, all football fans are to an extent.

This is my 45th year as an Arbroath supporter and in that time I've seen some of the best but mostly the worst managers and teams in our history.

First and foremost I'm an Arbroath fan and if a manager fails, no matter who he is, or his track record, then it's time to go. When I started going Bert Henderson, debateably our best ever manager, was in charge but he went after we got relegated to the third tier. Interestingly that relegation was followed by almost 20 seasons in the bottom league, inluding ending up flat last 3 times (can't risk that now). Should he have gone sooner when it was obvious his time had come?

Anyway, I hope Dick turns this round and we can start next season with a blank slate.

Edited by Tattie36

11 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Don't agree with this apart from the fickle bit, all football fans are to an extent.

This is my 45th year as an Arbroath supporter and in that time I've seen some of the best but mostly the worst managers and teams in our history.

First and foremost I'm an Arbroath fan and if a manager fails, no matter who he is, or his track record, then it's time to go. When I started going Bert Henderson, debateably our best ever manager, was in charge but he went after we got relegated to the third tier. Interestingly that relegation was followed by almost 20 seasons in the bottom league, inluding ending up flat last 3 times (can't risk that now). Should he have gone sooner when it was obvious his time had come?

Anyway, I hope Dick turns this round and we can start next season with a blank slate.

So one summer of failure after 6 years of practically non stop success and improvement and it’s time to go? You’re asking for perfection and perfection simply does not exist 

16 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

50 plus years as a Arbroath supporter and  probably forgotten half the managers we've had. You aren't seriously saying Albert Henderson was responsible for Arbroath being in the bottom tier for 20 years after he left because we didn't sack him sooner?? If so that is seriously wild. If you want a team that is never gonna get relegated you've only got two choices.

12 minutes ago, keptie said:

50 plus years as a Arbroath supporter and  probably forgotten half the managers we've had. You aren't seriously saying Albert Henderson was responsible for Arbroath being in the bottom tier for 20 years after he left because we didn't sack him sooner?? If so that is seriously wild. If you want a team that is never gonna get relegated you've only got two choices.

Agree. As I recall, sacking Albert Henderson didn’t turn our fortunes round and it was regretted by many Lichtie fans. Dick has been magnificent and suffered a bad patch which was pretty inevitable after last season’s heroics. 

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

It wasn't just a bit of a bad run though, was it?  He had a total nightmare.  His teams were a mess, his subs were a joke, and we ended up on a run that can be extremely difficult for a manager to turn round.  You see it all the time elsewhere. Look at Jack Ross.  The humpings he took were not necessarily his fault, he was only just in a job, but a fresh face was needed.

You can still see it with our team now, confidence is badly lacking.  The mistakes we were making were down to mentality, and often, the best thing to do is to bring in a fresh face.  That's why I felt his time was up.  If he turns it around, then I think it is a bigger achievement than last season!

So aye, I'm also very happy to be proven wrong.  The team shows signs, but I'm not sure it will be enough.  Its too late to change anyway, so he has my full support till the end of the season!

35 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It wasn't just a bit of a bad run though, was it?  He had a total nightmare.  His teams were a mess, his subs were a joke, and we ended up on a run that can be extremely difficult for a manager to turn round.  You see it all the time elsewhere. Look at Jack Ross.  The humpings he took were not necessarily his fault, he was only just in a job, but a fresh face was needed.

You can still see it with our team now, confidence is badly lacking.  The mistakes we were making were down to mentality, and often, the best thing to do is to bring in a fresh face.  That's why I felt his time was up.  If he turns it around, then I think it is a bigger achievement than last season!

So aye, I'm also very happy to be proven wrong.  The team shows signs, but I'm not sure it will be enough.  Its too late to change anyway, so he has my full support till the end of the season!

I could get it if the players had lost belief but every single one of the players was giving 100 percent for Dick. They’ll all love him. He just never provided the tools on the park to help them to be successful, it has been poor and he has admitted that but as a group and club DC is so important. I think it would be a disaster to even look elsewhere. Grass isn’t always or very often usually greener.

Time to get behind him and the team regardless. We like most other teams have no right to be in this division even if we are actually decent by our standards. There are only a couple of teams who would never get relegated to L1 in this division but everyone else is fighting for their place.

Falkirk, Dunfermline and QoTS are in League 1 at the moment and we are arguably battling against everyone else excluding Dundee, Inverness and a well backed QP to stay up. Everyone else has had a stint in L1 in recent years. 

Re Nicky Low

The only thing really to say in all honestly is he was a fantastic player who gave us brilliant memories in an unbelievable season 🇱🇻🔥⚽️ Even the season prior towards the end he came in and helped keep us up with his determination and brilliant trademark battling displays 

Unfortunately he has effectively ruined this by behaving the way he has after all the club has done for him which is truly disappointing and a real shame, Obviously more to the story and I guess we will never know what really happened but anyone who effectively refuses to play for the badge anymore and forces a move out the club will always leave a bad ill feeling with us Lichties, Such a poor way to end things

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Good signing for Queen's Park. Impressed when I seen him for the Litchies. Strong for his size, quick and marauding full back

He was mostly really good for us and I would have loved to have seen him in our new look team.

He didn’t play well at Balmoral, no one did for us but he was hung out to dry by our midfield not tracking back.

He was probably our best player in the game at Gayfield but was, bizarrely, substituted when we were 1-0 up and cruising.

Edited by Tattie36

On 31/01/2023 at 20:57, Tattie36 said:

… how many of these new signings are Joel Nouble’s mates?

haha 

Imagine the grief id have got if i was wrong on this

To be fair i made some wild claims at the start of the season

1. We were signing all Noubles mates ( all have been shoved out the door ) Uncle Dick confirmed this in the paper too, and the club had to get a recruitment team involved as the dross that was brought in was clearly not up to standard.

2. There were problems behind the scenes ( think we all know thats true now )

3. Multiple under contract players would ask to be released.

4. DC needs to stop hoofing the ball up top, it doesn't work. ( the league table doesn't lie )

Imagine for one second i was off with any of those claims, some people would say i was insane/full of it/ a troll 

Lichteeeeeeeee knows

25 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

haha 

Imagine the grief id have got if i was wrong on this

To be fair i made some wild claims at the start of the season

1. We were signing all Noubles mates ( all have been shoved out the door ) Uncle Dick confirmed this in the paper too, and the club had to get a recruitment team involved as the dross that was brought in was clearly not up to standard.

2. There were problems behind the scenes ( think we all know thats true now )

3. Multiple under contract players would ask to be released.

4. DC needs to stop hoofing the ball up top, it doesn't work. ( the league table doesn't lie )

Imagine for one second i was off with any of those claims, some people would say i was insane/full of it/ a troll 

Lichteeeeeeeee knows

What players were Nouble's mates?

what problems were there behind the scenes?

what players asked to be released?

what did you think of the two goals we scored on saturday?

certainly didn't look like hoofball to me. We have played with a direct style for the past 6/7 seasons so it was unlikely to change this season, I think with the players we have now, we can vary our play between playing a bit more and going direct when we have to.