The Arbroath Thread

I don't think we could have asked for a better signing than that.  Right age, played at a good level, fills a problem position for us, and he can play left back too, meaning that in the event of injury, we can put Hamilton in the middle.  So we have defensive cover again.

I really don't think we could have asked for a better transfer window than that!  Now, can we pull this off and escape the trap door?

Edited to add, he's also another 6 footer.  Gives us some much needed height.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

On paper that’s a massive improvement across the squad compared to the start of the season. 

I still feel it’s going to be a huge battle and relegation is still a very real threat and possibility.

The next 3 months is going to be very interesting.

Looks a great signing going by his career so far looks solid and steady and experienced. 

Don’t know how the end of this season will go but we need to lay off Dick if things go bad we are in a really good place right now in and it’s down to him, he always seems to pull it out the bag and turn it around and nobody else out there would be a better option. A massive part of our football club 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Cove are an absolute shambles on the pitch and are an all round diddy outfit off of it. Much like Hamilton.

Get them doon lichties, get them doon.

Fingers crossed. Next 2 matches could be fkn huge. We could really put the knife in and get into a great position with 2 victories. 

The January signings have all been very impressive - well done to all concerned.

I would still like to see another striker signed - but all good otherwise.

The leaving of Nicky Low is a disappointment - he played a key role in the team's success last season, was one of the fans favourites players and was a real motivator on the park, a real quality player. Something went wrong, but I wish him all the best and hope he can stay free of injuries - he was one of the stand out players last season. But we all move on and DC has done a great job with the new signings in January.

Looking forward to Saturday's match against Raith and the coming games in 2023 - I think we have rediscovered our mojo.

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Looks a great signing going by his career so far looks solid and steady and experienced. 

Don’t know how the end of this season will go but we need to lay off Dick if things go bad we are in a really good place right now in and it’s down to him, he always seems to pull it out the bag and turn it around and nobody else out there would be a better option. A massive part of our football club 

Remember that time a few weeks back people wanted dick punted tae eh....that was pretty funny now prasing him with his signings 😆 😂 

25 minutes ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

Remember that time a few weeks back people wanted dick punted tae eh....that was pretty funny now prasing him with his signings 😆 😂 

Lets see how the rest of the season goes, eh?  We need a hell of a strong finish to the season to make sure we are safe.  Yes, the last few games have been much better, we've doubled our season win total, yes, the teams the management have been putting out have started to make sense again, and yes, the window looks to have been excellent, but let's see some sustained results before the triumphalism starts!

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Lets see how the rest of the season goes, eh?  We need a hell of a strong finish to the season to make sure we are safe.  Yes, the last few games have been much better, we've doubled our season win total, yes, the teams the management have been putting out have started to make sense again, and yes, the window looks to have been excellent, but let's see some sustained results before the triumphalism starts!

Point is, even a decent Arbroath team have no right to stay up in the Championship. Bigger clubs than us have been relegated to L1. If we went down I’d still have wanted Dick to stay.

He deserves that after all he’s done for the club, he’s a massive part of us as a club. Summer was a total disaster and I’ve moaned incessantly about it for the past 5 month but again credit where it’s due we have addressed these issues as well as we could’ve and the players are and always have been giving their all for him and Pink / Rab. 

49 minutes ago, Arbroath36.0! said:

I was probably one of the most vocal in calling for him to go. The jury is still very much out for me and, even though the squad is undoubtedly stronger than it was and we had a great win at Morton, one swallow does not make a summer. If we can follow up last Saturday’s performance and result with a few more, very soon, then I’ll hold my hands up, admit I was wrong and lie prostrate at the alter of Big Dick.

What we always have to remember though is that, no matter how the season pans out, we shouldn’t have been in this position in the first place and it’s his recruitment, tactics and lineups to date are 100% responsible for that.

Ideally we stay up, Dick stays and learns (a lot) from this season.

6 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I was probably one of the most vocal in calling for him to go. The jury is still very much out for me and, even though the squad is undoubtedly stronger than it was and we had a great win at Morton, one swallow does not make a summer. If we can follow up last Saturday’s performance and result with a few more, very soon, then I’ll hold my hands up, admit I was wrong and lie prostrate at the alter of Big Dick.

What we always have to remember though is that, no matter how the season pans out, we shouldn’t have been in this position in the first place and it’s his recruitment, tactics and lineups to date are 100% responsible for that.

Ideally we stay up, Dick stays and learns (a lot) from this season.

But aye we shouldn’t have been in this position because of how strongly we finished last season, however he was also 100 percent responsible for the strong starting position we had….