The Arbroath Thread

Just now, qpfc said:

Think he’ll do a job ? We need a right back with a bit more about them defensively. Currently we have Jake Davidson who is very handy going forward but against the better teams, he generally struggles with the defensive side of the game 

Seem to recall oakley being quite liked by  the Arbroath fans despite who poor they’ve been 

Well he’s great defensively anyway and I would say he’s better than Davidson. Will suit QP style of play too I think, he will want to get forward more. He’s tiny though but solid. Reminded me of Jeremie Frimpong

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Oakley is a far better RB than Scott Stewart. 

Was gonna say, I was really impressed with Oakley both times I saw him. Was releived when he came off against us at Starks.

24 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Oakley is a far better RB than Scott Stewart. 

Aye probably I just think I feel safer and more secure with Stewart playing there with the position we are in, more physical and experienced, better in the air.

Oakley had some really great games but also had a few howlers, Cove away in particular. He will suit the way QP play much more than the way we do and I wish him all the best. 

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye probably I just think I feel safer and more secure with Stewart playing there with the position we are in, more physical and experienced, better in the air.

Oakley had some really great games but also had a few howlers, Cove away in particular. He will suit the way QP play much more than the way we do and I wish him all the best. 

I wasn’t going to comment on the right back situation as I’ve made my point before that we need dedicated full back cover. However IMO Oakley is a wee bit better than Stewart. Yes Stewart is good and has certain physical attributes that Oakley hasn’t but I just think Marcel is a different level. Not to say that Stewart is bad, and I’m sure he’ll get better there but I prefer him as a midfielder.

Also, to say Oakley, in particular, had a howler at Cove is a bit much. The entire team were terrible but I don’t think he should be singled out. The reason the goals came down his side and he was exposed time and time again was because Gold, playing right mid, gave him zero support and he had to single handedly try and contain the entire Cove left hand side.

That was probably the worst I’ve seen Gold play and it was very noticeable how much better we were on our right when Fosu came on, stuck to Logan like a limpet and stopped them rampaging down that wing.

Edited by Tattie36

9 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I wasn’t going to comment on the right back situation as I’ve made my point before that we need dedicated full back cover. However IMO Oakley is a wee bit better than Stewart. Yes Stewart is good and has certain physical attributes that Oakley hasn’t but I just think Marcel is a different level. Not to say that Stewart is bad, and I’m sure he’ll get better there but I prefer him as a midfielder.

Also, to say Oakley, in particular, had a howler at Cove is a bit much. The entire team were terrible but I don’t think he should be singled out. The reason the goals came down his side and he was exposed time and time again was because Gold, playing right mid, gave him zero support and he had to single handedly try and contain the entire Cove left hand side.

That was probably the worst I’ve seen Gold play and it was very noticeable how much better we were on our right when Fosu came on, stuck to Logan like a limpet and stopped them rampaging down that wing.

Aye would agree with all of this. I thought Oakley was great and will go on to be a really good player.

I just think in the high stake’s environment we are currently in I feel a bit more safer with Scott Stewart due to his experience and his size and the fact he’s been here for years and knows what it’s all about. He’s one of the stalwarts

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Think he’ll do a job ? We need a right back with a bit more about them defensively. Currently we have Jake Davidson who is very handy going forward but against the better teams, he generally struggles with the defensive side of the game 

Seem to recall oakley being quite liked by  the Arbroath fans despite who poor they’ve been 

Oakley was great going forward, very quick and he is as fit as a fiddle. Defensively he liked a tackle but as a defender In the Scottish championship he's not nearly big enough nor strong enough. And also as a youngster very inexperienced.

Edited by Hayshead2

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Got told Nicky Low is injured and needs an operation. Also not sure how he could walk back into the team either after everything that’s happened. 

Oakley coming back to Scotland but supposedly to QP. I genuinely think I’d rather have Scott Stewart there. He just seems more robust and a bigger physical presence. Oakley will probably do well at QP and it’ll give him a chance to work on a different part of his game. 

I’m very disappointed to hear Oakley is coming back to a team in our league. I know QP are at the other end of the table but I can’t see how he’ll develop much better there - unless Birmingham don’t rate our coaching?  I’d have expected him to take a step up, E.g. to a top English league 1 team.  Maybe living in Glasgow is more attractive   😁

5 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

I’m very disappointed to hear Oakley is coming back to a team in our league. I know QP are at the other end of the table but I can’t see how he’ll develop much better there - unless Birmingham don’t rate our coaching?  I’d have expected him to take a step up, E.g. to a top English league 1 team.  Maybe living in Glasgow is more attractive   😁

Well he’s spent the last 6 months in a team that’s not had much of the ball or got forward much and been on a losing team where it’s been route one I think going to a team scoring goals freely and playing good fast attacking football will help him develop the attacking side of his game much more. 

Although we look like a completely different team now Birmingham don’t know that. They’ll have had him watched when he was with us and we would’ve been brutal. 

Unfortunately, personally and professionally for both Marcel and Birmingham City, it’s an absolute no-brainer.

Birmingham aren’t loaning their young prospects out for charitable reasons. They want to see real development and progress and playing for a team at the pointy end is always going to be more attractive. I’m sure he would still be with us if we were up towards the top of the league. He’ll also be training full-time.

From a personal perspective… well, what young professional sportsman wouldn’t love to live in Glasgow?

Edited by Tattie36

We should defo be signing a defender as back up at the very least, given how often Bitsindou, TOB and Ricky have been in and out of the team this season and I’m not totally convinced about Stewart at right back.

Regardless, we’ve had a good window and should be looking to kick on up the table. This season is giving me the same feeling as the 20/21 season where we were battling to stay up. Confident we’ll be playing Championship fitba next season.

Edited by ellichtie